Where to go in australia in march? (for gold detecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm Marius (33y) from Germany and right now on my holiday trip in New Zealand. I will finish it on 4th of march and than have about 3-4 weeks left till I have to go back to Germany. My plan right now would look something like to take a plane from Auckland and fly over to down under and give this "Metal Detecting story" a shot :)

Questions:
- if you would have only 3 weeks in march, where you would you go for Gold detecting in australia? The region arround Cairnes? Or is western australia more the place to be for gold detecting? Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT want from you to give me all your super secret GPS places where you would go for detetecting. But more a sort of an advice where to start best as a beginner. Maybe I have to mention that the amount of 1 OZ would be totaly nuts and my goal... I don't plan to get rich on the fields or something... it should only be something more like an adventure.

- Do you have some nice places where I can rent the equipment I need and get a sort of "training" on it? Sure I can google it for my own, but you never know if it is only a tourist trap and the only thing you get is an empty pocket and loosing time on top. Or maybe some of you guys have some time to introduce the hobby to a beginner? Or maybe you even plan a trip for 2 weeks into the outback and have some space for me to join? (jesus, that would be totally awsome!!! and trust me, if a german say's something like this, it totaly is) :lol:

Thanks a lot for your time and sorry that I can't use the search function by lack of time. Maybe click my Webpage for more informations about me: marius-biela.com , I also wouldn't take every stranger on my trip ;)

Danke! Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius.

Personally, I would base myself around Bendigo in central Victoria. From there you have access to some great goldfields all within 1 hour.

But...

- how are you going to get anywhere?? Hire a car? Do you have a licence?
- camping or getting a cabin/motel?
- have you ever detected? I love it but for 99% of the population it's as boring as bat shit.
- hiring a detector for 2 weeks might be a bit expensive. But I think they can be hired in Bendigo and Maryborough - someone else might confirm that for you.
- Western Australia would be great but really the amount of planning and equipment required would be a bit big for the time you have.
- I have travelled Oz quite a bit and honestly there are crap loads better things to do here than detecting :D
- if you want to do all the fun things in Oz but still really want a day to swing a detector I'm happy to take you out. I'm in northeast Victoria.

Cheers, Northeast.

Yep instead of wasting 2 weeks fumbling about learning from scratch , increase your odds and book a 3 day tour with all the gear supplied and get educated in 1 day and learn properly , plus it will leave a week spare to explore Australia its worth seeing and digging lead and junk with the hope of gold is close to a wasted trip.

Hey Marius

I would also recommend getting on a tour or even a day course etc... Bendigo sounds good and makes sense. A tour will at least cover your needs as well, such as water, GPS's, where you are actually allowed to prospect.

WA is not a place for inexperienced travelers and I mean that with respect. You need to understand the heat and sun! It will kill you quickly if unprepared. Plus flies and transport is a big issue, huge areas to travel very remote in most cases to get some of the yellow. I also think we are in for a long summer so it will still be stinking hot, not that the East has been any cooler at the moment either.

Simple questions - If you break down in the bush what do you do (you have no phone reception at all)

A) Leave your vehicle and walk for help
B) Stay with your vehicle and wait for help
C) Another option?

This should be an indicator for you. What would you do if...

Stick with Victoria a lot of history and plenty of Gold so I am told.

Low and Slow they say!

Also be aware that there is Gold in New Zealand as well. In the South Island around Queenstown there are streams that have gold in them. I did a tour a few years back and people were digging and panning all through this area. If you are near may be worth a look.

Northeast said:
Hi Marius.

Personally, I would base myself around Bendigo in central Victoria. From there you have access to some great goldfields all within 1 hour.

But...

- how are you going to get anywhere?? Hire a car? Do you have a licence?
- camping or getting a cabin/motel?
- have you ever detected? I love it but for 99% of the population it's as boring as bat shite.
- hiring a detector for 2 weeks might be a bit expensive. But I think they can be hired in Bendigo and Maryborough - someone else might confirm that for you.
- Western Australia would be great but really the amount of planning and equipment required would be a bit big for the time you have.
- I have travelled Oz quite a bit and honestly there are crap loads better things to do here than detecting :D
- if you want to do all the fun things in Oz but still really want a day to swing a detector I'm happy to take you out. I'm in northeast Victoria.

Cheers, Northeast.

????? Bendigo, Victoria? :( :N:
He is wanting an ounce in 3 weeks?

The very experienced locals don,t get that much in a year!

Tell him to go to WA.

Hi Tribun, listen to ALL the advice above. Expectations of 1oz in three weeks are very high there mate(not impossible - only very unlikely), but it's often so for beginners. Forget Western Australia (WA) and Far North Queensland (FNQ) at that time of year - damn hot, very distant and will require survival skills, heavy research/planning and $$$ to get there. Even Victoria will likely be hottish (for Europeans), but towns abound in the Victorian Golden Triangle and you will be in comms range most of the time. It's also just a skip across the Tasman Sea from where you are. Tours will likely be booked out by now, but if you're still dead keen, myself or a few mates (and likely others from PA - depending who's out there at the time) could likely meet you out there and show you around for a few days - will get you started anyway.

Thanks a lot for ALL advices! I appreciate all of them! So as you can see the opinions where to go and what to expect are very versatile and it is hard to filter out the perfect information for someone who wasn't that often in oz. Ok, but it is also very difficult to give a stranger the right advice ;)
So maybe some more informations about my person. I'm a professional driver and me and my team are setting records all arround the globe. For example, we drove from Melbourne to St.Petersburg in 17days 18h (crossed oz in under 36 hours to darwin). So I know what it means to drive long distances etc. and makes also a bit of expirienced what it means to drive here and there. But of course, I'm not one of this dumbasses who drive without any preperation into the wild and hase to be rescued after couple of days. It is more like, that I'm not scared to take the effort on me. The pleasure part is over in march and my goal is to get this 1 ounce. Why? The story behind this is, I collect gold from all arround the world to, well how to say that, to craft something special for my girl. (every "nice" girl gets this one special ring in her life,... I hope you understand what I mean, AND I hope she will never read this) ;)
The lack of time is sure a problem and something I can't fix. And this is the reason why I'm asking for some help or informations, where to go etc.
Booking a tour is also my opinion the way to go, but they are often quiete expensive and for example in victoria often booked out or don't give you the guarantee to find something. I have heard from many persons that the gold triangel for example is overrun by humans with detectors... So I think my odds there a quiete bad. To say it simple like it is often in life... you have to find the right people. And here I need some help.
What is your opinion about Kalgoorlie? To go there is not that hard if I take a plane directly to Perth and than from there somehow to Kalgoorlie. (way back to europe would be also easy, because of the international airport in Perth)

Thanks again for all your words, they are all helpfull and I'm still open for all advices!

Tribun said:
Thanks a lot for ALL advices! I appreciate all of them! So as you can see the opinions where to go and what to expect are very versatile and it is hard to filter out the perfect information for someone who wasn't that often in oz. Ok, but it is also very difficult to give a stranger the right advice ;)
So maybe some more informations about my person. I'm a professional driver and me and my team are setting records all arround the globe. For example, we drove from Melbourne to St.Petersburg in 17days 18h (crossed oz in under 36 hours to darwin). So I know what it means to drive long distances etc. and makes also a bit of expirienced what it means to drive here and there. But of course, I'm not one of this dumbasses who drive without any preperation into the wild and hase to be rescued after couple of days. It is more like, that I'm not scared to take the effort on me. The pleasure part is over in march and my goal is to get this 1 ounce. Why? The story behind this is, I collect gold from all arround the world to, well how to say that, to craft something special for my girl. (every "nice" girl gets this one special ring in her life,... I hope you understand what I mean, AND I hope she will never read this) ;)
The lack of time is sure a problem and something I can't fix. And this is the reason why I'm asking for some help or informations, where to go etc.
Booking a tour is also my opinion the way to go, but they are often quiete expensive and for example in victoria often booked out or don't give you the guarantee to find something. I have heard from many persons that the gold triangel for example is overrun by humans with detectors... So I think my odds there a quiete bad. To say it simple like it is often in life... you have to find the right people. And here I need some help.
What is your opinion about Kalgoorlie? To go there is not that hard if I take a plane directly to Perth and than from there somehow to Kalgoorlie. (way back to europe would be also easy, because of the international airport in Perth)

Thanks again for all your words, they are all helpfull and I'm still open for all advices!

WOW, its made world news the golden triangle is overrun with humans using detectors, are we famous now! ;)

Hi Marius,

Average temp in march at Bandya WA is 30.5 which isn't too bad. Even on days up to 37 you can still squeeze in a good few hours. I normally get out by 5.30am and pull the pin at 1 or 2 pm.

If you have experience and are prepared to put in the leg work an oz a week is about average.

Seriously, I'd love to help you but I can't guarantee weather or things popping up here on the station wouldn't interfere with your plans.

Tour groups usually don't start hitting the area until about April, and realistically no tour group or person can guarantee you'll find gold. They can guarantee they'll put you in the best position to, but that's about it.

Try sending a message to Kris Dobbie from Coolgardie. Lovely lady, very experienced and capable operator and tour guide.

https://www.facebook.com/C00LGARDIE.G0LD

Cheers.

A professional driver setting records all over the globe??? Who do you work for and where do we get one of these jobs ;) ;)

I can't give advice about W.A. as I've never detected there.

The G.T. in Victoria - will be hard to meet your target but not impossible. Your lady must be very 'nice' - good for you!!

My offer above still stands. Good luck :Y:

madtuna said:
Hi Marius,

Average temp in march at Bandya WA is 30.5 which isn't too bad. Even on days up to 37 you can still squeeze in a good few hours. I normally get out by 5.30am and pull the pin at 1 or 2 pm.

If you have experience and are prepared to put in the leg work an oz a week is about average.

Seriously, I'd love to help you but I can't guarantee weather or things popping up here on the station wouldn't interfere with your plans.

Tour groups usually don't start hitting the area until about April, and realistically no tour group or person can guarantee you'll find gold. They can guarantee they'll put you in the best position to, but that's about it.

Try sending a message to Kris Dobbie from Coolgardie. Lovely lady, very experienced and capable operator and tour guide.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot for this advice! I will contact her and we will see what she could offer me. You are totally right, saying that nobody could give me a guarantee and I'm totaly aware of that, but puting me in the best position is exactly what I want. And thats the reason why I don't want to go to the G.T. in victoria because I think it is very very hard to reach my goal there and depends much on luck. Sure it is easy to reach and maybe even more comfortable etc. but the odds to leave australia with empty pockets are quiete high there. And the extra effort to reach the fields in wetsern australia and even the lack of comfort justify everything if I leave this area with one ounce. So I think I will spend some effort to find someone arround Kalgoorlie who could help me out there. I'm thanksfull for every contact I could get since I think it will be hard to get a nice tour group in that short amount of time. But maybe someone knows somebody who is diging/detecting there and could use a helping hand for exchange, or something in this direction. I would totally appreciate it!

@northeast Thanks a lot for this offer! If I fail to find something in the west I would also totally appreciate this! Danke!

Mate welcome,
Have a look at this link, https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10159 in particular Western creek, If I was you I would contact the owner Geoff Brown, tell him I recommended you call him, he may provide accommodation detector Hire GPZ7000 transport on the property & a guide service if encouraged with some $$$ you can only put forth your situation to see if he can help you, he detects himself so if he is willing he will give you great opportunity to find good Gold, an ounce per week is very doable in this area.

cheers
Lee

That last post and the offers of advice are Gold in it's self.
Please let us know how you go.
Fr das Vertrauen Danke. Ich wnsche Ihnen viel Spa in Ihrem Abenteuer

when you own a house do you build it or is it built for you.
Enjoy the adventure and if no fish go to the fish shop.
Hope this helps'

rc62burke said:
Mate welcome,
Have a look at this link, in particular Western creek, If I was you I would contact the owner Geoff Brown, tell him I recommended you call him, he may provide accommodation detector Hire GPZ7000 transport on the property & a guide service if encouraged with some $$$ you can only put forth your situation to see if he can help you, he detects himself so if he is willing he will give you great opportunity to find good Gold, an ounce per week is very doable in this area.

cheers
Lee

Great! Do you have a number or mailad. for me? I wrote them via Facebook but did not get an answer now. thanks!

Tribun said:
rc62burke said:
Mate welcome,
Have a look at this link, in particular Western creek, If I was you I would contact the owner Geoff Brown, tell him I recommended you call him, he may provide accommodation detector Hire GPZ7000 transport on the property & a guide service if encouraged with some $$$ you can only put forth your situation to see if he can help you, he detects himself so if he is willing he will give you great opportunity to find good Gold, an ounce per week is very doable in this area.

cheers
Lee

Great! Do you have a number or mailad. for me? I wrote them via Facebook but did not get an answer now. thanks!

07 40625591

Admin please allow this number, this is a commercial venture, cheers Lee
Edit:Admin:noted. Jaros

Tribun said:
rc62burke said:
Mate welcome,

cheers
Lee

Mate I contacted Shirley from Western Creek this morning, to advise her about what you are wanting.
So she is having a think about options for you, give her a call.
cheers Lee Burke

Latest posts