W.A fake claim claims .

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all , been speaking with a fellow prospector today and he gave me the heads up on a bloke up this way who would approach you in the bush and inform you than your on his lease when your actually not.

If there was a lease , claim , or he had a SPL on that area would he need to show documents to prove it ?

Last time i went out i was sure to check pending/ aproved ground before hand but out in the bush it would be your word against his ? and I wouldn't wont a confrontation as you never know what or who they are .

Last year I bush bashed my way into some gorgeous looking ground and spotted a couple of very old and very large dig holes.
I'd been detecting for about 10 minutes when I heard a vehicle coming closer obviously following my tracks.

Shortly after a ute pulled in and a gent hops out. He looks at the old dig holes then says "You know you shouldn't be here, I'm going to have to ask you to leave".
I asked why and he said "because you're on my lease".

I told him it was actually Regis Resources lease and I have permission to be there.

Looking to the sky for inspiration he thinks for a bit and then says "It's a pastoral lease, we've got cattle in the area and you'll scare the cattle".

I replied "geez mate, I'm sorry I had no idea. Are you the pastoralist?"

He then says "Nope. The pastoralist lives in Perth, I'm the station manager".

I replied "That's weird, the pastoralist actually lives in Kalgoorlie and I'm the caretaker".

The goose then abused the crap out of me, jumps in his ute and reverses out still swearing and cursing.

Ha , what a peanut! Well im hoping to get abit of knowledge as to what proof he will have to show or should be carring ect so i have half a leg to stand on . I dont want to piss any one off but im not letting someone take the piss out of me .

Failing that my blue heelers coming with me this time, we'll see what he has to say :cool:

Chriso1988 said:
Ha , what a peanut! Well im hoping to get abit of knowledge as to what proof he will have to show or should be carring ect so i have half a leg to stand on . I dont want to piss any one off but im not letting someone take the piss out of me .

I think you're coming at it backwards, mate. As a legal prospector in WA, you're meant to have done all of the preparatory work checking lease areas of interest, getting consents where necessary, submitting DMP applications, advising station-owners, etc., etc., etc. You're also responsible for ensuring that you are prospecting within the boundaries of the area/s for which you have all of the necessary approvals. If you're compliant with all of these legal requirements and your paperwork is up-to-date, anybody challenging you must be wrong, so feel free to stand your ground and invite them to contact the Mining Warden for further clarification.

And if you've got a dog with you, please ensure he's muzzled to prevent him taking baits and tethered to prevent him worrying any stock that may be present.

Thing is...if you KNOW where you are,...you have all the argument you need...

If you have permission, have it in writing and the landowner's # on speed dial....then tell them to 'sod off'... :D

Ahh yeh cheers for the advise about the baits ! Id never even thought of that !

I checked all the ground i was on previously and always will , always carry my miners right and have only ever been on crown land , no where near an active lease . The closest to me last time was about 50kms away .

I guess if I continue to do what ive been doing i should be fine . Just wasnt sure if there was a reg saying they need to show documents on them ect for proof just like you need your 40e ect if youve been granted acsess to an active lease

Hi Chriso.

There are a few crooks and scammers on the fields, but thankfully they are in a minority.
Lease papers are not something a lease holder usually carries around in his pocket, so often you can just make matter worse demanding to see them.

Usually the best bet is for you to carry or at least have handy in your vehicle a current Tengraph print out if it's vacant or pending or a copy of your 40E or permission if it's a lease.
That way you can show them and if he's a scammer he will fold on the spot.

As for your dog, just be aware that last year was a bumper year for breeding for most ferals due to the excellent rainfalls. This year appears to be the same or better.
Unfortunately, wild dogs have exploded in numbers and most stations are baiting in earnest and employing shooters.

Many pastoral stations are now just saying no to prospectors bringing dogs, something they do have a right to do under law.
Most will only do so if they are not contacted first.
Be aware of baits, keep your dog with you and muzzled. A dog not with its owner or a dog not wearing a muzzle is indistinguishable from a wild dog no matter the breed.
A muzzle will save a dog from a bait, and the sight of a muzzle will save a dog from a bullet.

Cheers!

Yeh thats a good point mate , if im near an active leases next swing i will get as much info as possible on them , and carry copies of all docs ect .

I just wanted to make sure as ive only ever looked in to what i need to do, with regards to the regulations and etiquette to keep my self about board .

Much appreciated advice about the dog , it may even come down to not taking him just to be safe .
I was out for a full week last swing, didnt see a single sole the hole time just road trains in the distance thought the dog might be good company this time .

Latest posts