Current Bible for Prospecting in Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the favoured book for prospecting in Australia?

I have de Havelland's Gold and Ghosts Vol 3 (Qld Central and Southern Districts) published in 1987. Is there a more uptodate book on prospecting?

Can't help with the whole of Australia but i can give you some basic books for Victoria and South Australia.
Victoria - current publications.
Doug STONES 'Gold Atlas of Victoria.' Maps
John TULLY's series. Maps
Prospecting generally: 'The Victorian Prospectors Guide'. A description of gold bearing areas etc.

South Aussie
I know the South Aussies have their blue bible - 'Record of Mines of SA' - 1908 and still available.
They also have one of the best book of maps I have ever seen - 'Goldfields of SA' by the state government

You are very lucky to have a copy of de Havelland's Gold and Ghosts.

There are a very sort after item

regards

Thanks Xobazzip. I wondered whether it may be hard to get a copy these days. Looked on the web after your post and noticed a price of $300. De Havilland seems to have researched his subjects well.

Hi Kidbeey,

Even at $300.00 it would be a bargain as they have been selling for $700.00 plus on some auctions when they ever come up

regards

I'm currently keeping a eye out for a book called "the glint of gold by kerrin cook". I hear its basically a good history book making plenty of references to locations and towns in the central west NSW area. But I'm also looking for a good book for a beginner (such as myself) to what I should look for when out on a gold field. If anyone can recommend something I'm all ears :)

Greg

Kidbeey said:
Thanks Xobazzip. I wondered whether it may be hard to get a copy these days. Looked on the web after your post and noticed a price of $300. De Havilland seems to have researched his subjects well.

The last I saw on ebay was $600, a guy here in WA, I have ordered one from my library on an inter library loan, vol I & 2, they are coming from South Hedland WA, when it's my turn, I was 3rd on the list, a couple of weeks ago, maybe you could do the same, I believe the edition for your side of the sand is easier to come by.

OK quick question, is there still copywrite on G&G? May be able to help if not....

So, according to this, for research and study, I may be able to post some excerpts from G&G here. Thoughts please Nugget.
Material that is in copyright

Australian copyright law allows you to copy in-copyright material in certain circumstances. The provisions of the Copyright Act that set out these circumstances are known as exceptions. If an exception applies, you do not need to ask the copyright owner for permission to undertake acts within its scope.

For example, the fair dealing exceptions can apply where you copy material for the purpose of research, study, criticism, review, parody, satire, reporting the news, or giving legal advice. The Copyright Act expressly states that certain acts constitute fair dealings, such as copying up to 10% or one chapter of a book, or copying one article, for research or study. However in other cases, you will need to consider the elements of fair dealing as set out in the Copyright Act. There are also exceptions which allow some copying by cultural and educational institutions and on behalf of people with print or intellectual disabilities. These are particularly relevant where you ask the library to reproduce collection material and supply a copy to you.

P.S. If Nugget is ok with it, I'll start a new post and put small amounts at a time up for you to study and/or research...
I only have G&G Vol.3 tho...

You will find on other forums a lot of debate and references to the Gold and Ghost series. There is even some belief the original author or family members keep a close eye on copyright of this material through various gold forums as members of these forums. I would be careful with this. As for photocopying the books at your local library - speak to the librarian. From memory I think you can copy 10% for private research purposes, which probably precludes uploading the same info on a forum. Just being cautious as I have seen debates on other forums get a bit heated over the whole 'Gold and Ghosts' issues. It would be like me copying one map from TULLYs or STONEs map books and posting it as a pdf without permission - that would be a copyright issue.

Sw1fty said:
P.S. If Nugget is ok with it, I'll start a new post and put small amounts at a time up for you to study and/or research...
I only have G&G Vol.3 tho...

I've only just come across your post. I'll need to give this some thought and look into the legalities as we don't want to be breaching copyright. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you.

Nugget.

David, the author of gold and ghosts, has stated they were taken out of print solely due to the fact of them actually costing him money to keep having them printed. The sale price at the time mixed with the actual sales being made didn't add up.

Many years later everyone thought he withdrew them due to his stance on Round-Up being used in Aus. Which was probably his own fault anyway. Nice bloke, bit of a stirrer.

I've always hated both Tully's and Stone's maps and found them totally inaccurate.

Far better off with the 1:25 000 Topographic maps. Just follow the water courses and you'll find very set of diggings and reef workings above them that aren't even on Tully's and Stone's maps.

I just saw the book Gold and Ghosts Volume 4 Qld Northern & Northwestern Districts by de Havelland on eBay buy it now for $1000 & there is an auction going as well its at $410 & still has 4days 2hours to go Good luck if you are after it :)

david took the books out of print because when he asked for support from prospectors they did not give him any,
the books are still copy righted and david will bring legal action against any breaches.
I would not put anything up on this forum.

regards.

p.s david, if I have explained it wrong just give me a shout and I will happily fix any errors.

Some very interesting observations being raised in this post. some for, some against and all valid points. (This post relates to the triangle) I will say this, before the current series of commercial maps were available all we had were the topos, geos, old parish maps and the like. Then for us triangle folk, along came Tully and in a nice way, we wanted to string him up. :) for giving away our 'secrets'. I doubt that there are very few prospectors (either for or against) who go/live/prospect in the triangle that do not have copies of some of these commercial maps. What I think is happening is that some folk are over-reliant on other peoples interpretation of the goldfields and that is basically what the new commercial maps are - an interpretation. The new maps have errors in both fact and land usage - e.g. crown land depicted that is private and visa versa. They show wide expanses of ground that when observed in 'real- time' have no resemblance to what is in the book. In the case of Tully and Stone, the maps some-times clash dramatically. However, they are also a reasonable guide for week-end prospectors as they give a few clues as to what was going on and some places to start.
I think there is even too many/much expectations put on poor old David D's books. Argyle is pretty well spot on, leave the detector in the car and walk the fields.

Latest posts