First - Highbanker questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Members,

Today I bought myself a little Sluicy GS 16 Highbanker ( its compact and lightweight to be transported on caravaning trips) came with legs, spraybar etc. It was also within my price range.

I bought it fully knowing that I would need to make a couple of mods, based on reading what other members have said about their GS bankers.

Before these mods a couple of questions where I'd appreciate help:

I want to place a small bit of punch plate or cable tray over the grizzly bars to help classify and to stop all the bigger stuff going from the hopper through to the sluice tray.

Q1 Anyone know where I can purchase punch plate or cable tray plate? Or is another method just as good?

The Sluicy comes with carpet under the expanded mesh and riffles. I want to swap out the first section (under the hooper outlet) for miners moss/spaghetti mat.

Q2 What is the best spaghetti mat...- mat with a thin solid rubber backing or no backing?

I have a small 3HP 4 stroke pump with 1 1/2 inch inlet/outlet to the impellor housing...

Q3 on the suction (inlet side) should I use a solid type pipe or will lay flat work on the suction head side (my thinking is that layflat may collapse on the suction head side of the pump).

Q4 Any other recommended mods??

Thanks in advance :

Hey mate and welcome

MikeB05 said:
Dear Members,

Today I bought myself a little Sluicy GS 16 Highbanker ( its compact and lightweight to be transported on caravaning trips) came with legs, spraybar etc. It was also within my price range.

I bought it fully knowing that I would need to make a couple of mods, based on reading what other members have said about their GS bankers.

Before these mods a couple of questions where I'd appreciate help:

I want to place a small bit of punch plate or cable tray over the grizzly bars to help classify and to stop all the bigger stuff going from the hopper through to the sluice tray.

Q1 Anyone know where I can purchase punch plate or cable tray plate? Or is another method just as good?

Depends where you are located maybe a member may have an off cut for you. If no luck there you can buy it from electrical wholesalers

The Sluicy comes with carpet under the expanded mesh and riffles. I want to swap out the first section (under the hooper outlet) for miners moss/spaghetti mat.

Q2 What is the best spaghetti mat...- mat with a thin solid rubber backing or no backing?

Solid rubber backing. If you get the mat without backing make sure u put a piece of V rubber matting under it

I have a small 3HP 4 stroke pump with 1 1/2 inch inlet/outlet to the impellor housing...

Q3 on the suction (inlet side) should I use a solid type pipe or will lay flat work on the suction head side (my thinking is that layflat may collapse on the suction head side of the pump).

Definitely need solid hose on suction. Flat hose will not work.

Q4 Any other recommended mods??

Extend the legs for better height so you don't break your back and also extend arms on hopper so you have a little more adjustment

Thanks in advance :)

the above mentioned mods are the ones ive made. 1m legs at the back, .5m legs at the front. spaghetti backed shower mat under the whole riffle section. i want to put elbows at the bottom of the spray bars so i can have some upwards washing motion to help with clay though washing it into smaller balls to run down my sluice may not be what im really after. i like the clay bars that ive seen on the gold hog highbanker. i like the little gs16 but when a mate showed me what good ground actually is i was really wishing i had a bigger unit.

Thank you Boulders and Is this Gold...much appreciated. Advice welcome and accepted.

I know the GS16 is a small unit and limited but I have space and weight constraints when travelling. I also need to keep my expectations a bit real about how much dirt I can dig to feed a banker. I am 63 years old..had pretty bad back injury years ago but do pretty well in the circumstances.

Cant use it at Deep Creek Len...I have an email from QLD Mines telling me they are not legal for use in QLD and if I get caught I cant claim ignorance given I have their email. Can use it at properties and out at Glendons.

Also will be thinking seriously about returning to Deep Creek...others may laugh at my run in with the Taipan yesterday, but it will be no laughing matter if someone gets bitten and dies or is seriously injured.

Taipans are the most venemous snake in the world...they are aggressive and they also have the longest fangs of any Aust snake - 13mm compared to 4mm for an Eastern Brown...gumboots may not be enough protection. Anyway I will try and figure out how to get to DC but be safer.
cheers
Mike

MikeB05 said:
Cant use it at Deep Creek Len...I have an email from QLD Mines telling me they are not legal for use in QLD and if I get caught I cant claim ignorance given I have their email. Can use it at properties and out at Glendons.

Also will be thinking seriously about returning to Deep Creek...others may laugh at my run in with the Taipan yesterday, but it will be no laughing matter if someone gets bitten and dies or is seriously injured.

Taipans are the most venemous snake in the world...they are aggressive and they also have the longest fangs of any Aust snake - 13mm compared to 4mm for an Eastern Brown...gumboots may not be enough protection. Anyway I will try and figure out how to get to DC but be safer.
cheers
Mike
Yeah I know....be good at Glendons.....and other private land if you can find some. Yeah it was funny with the Taipan, you know how us Aussies are, I really hope no one gets bitter either, they are not to be mucked around with. They need to do a culling.

You got your pump and everything to go, the flat hoses etc. Would like to see a video of it working soon.

MikeB05,

Did you get some cable tray? I have some lying around and if you send me a PM with the dimensions you need and your address, maybe I can send you up some?

Thank you 3DDevil for your offer, much appreciated.

To answer your question...no I couldn't find any punch plate or cable tray in the local metal suppliers or major hardware stores in Gympie Qld . Could not even purchase expanded mesh until I checked with a bloke running a local welding business at Tin Can Bay and he had heaps of it.

I have done some mods on my banker and need to get it out and do an actual test run (with help from local Gympie QLD Expert, Yobskin - I hope).

If I end up needing some cable tray I am more than happy to pay for a small bit plus postage here to Qld. I know you offered and that is fantastic, but the least I can do is cover costs if I need some.
thanks and regards

Mike :)

Mike I found a site last night for cable tray. I'll see if I can find it if you like.

You can get cable tray from any electrical wholesaler like J.R. Turks, TLE or Middies. The problem is when you only need a small piece, because they want you to buy the whole length. Which is what I did, when I made my WalBanker. Anyway I am happy to cut and post you up some if you want. Just send me a PM with the details and I'll make it happen, if required. It looks like this....

1486458010_20161207_103843.jpg

1486458131_20161207_103827_2.jpg

Hi, I run the smallest one- a GS10 in stock form except for a spray bar mod and find it works quite well even with the carpet, although I might try some moss one day. The trick is to set it up correctly and keep it level sideways. The stock legs can sink into the ground if it's soft and wet and change your angles. Some sort of feet on the legs would stop this from happening.

I also have a sluicy 17 and I was told to remove the mesh from under the riffles and just run miners moss, then riffles on top of that. I ran it this way and it picked up the gold no problems once the levels and water flow were setup correctly. The person that advised me to run it this way is a third generation gold miner and is actually on this forum, but I wont mention his name ;) 8)

Latest posts