GPX5000 Settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTT

Reaction score
hi all just bought a nugget finder 17x11 coil for my gpx 5000 just wondering what settings people would use for it thanks Terry

Hi Terry...damn good choice of coil...been my favourite coil for a long time now. Will pick up the tiniest sub grammers if you leave it in "special fine "....but i mostly run mine in ....sensitive extra....for the deeper ground....punches a bit further down with this on the bits over a couple of grams. If your going to run one coil only then you can't beat the one you just got....Good luck and Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Wal I used it on the weekend in an area near Heathcote in Vic no gold but i got 16 bits of lead shot to 22 s and bigger 5 22 brass casings a brass cap i think it was for maybe a small vial some pieces of iron and numerous bits of tin all in about a half an acre so i was dissappointed no gold but really pleased with what i found and obviously an area that hasn t been detected or detected very well so when i get a chance i will head back there cheers Terry

Hi Terry....by the sounds of that it certainly hasn't been flogged. I'd keep doing a fast run through that area continuing to get all the obvious targets out of the way. Stick to your 17 x 11 in sensitive extra and make sure you're scraping it on the ground. Once you've completely cleaned the rubbish you'd be amazed just how many faint signals you have missed. I'd then go back to a smaller...say 11'' round in .."fine"..and scrape square meter by square meter and listen for the super fine signals....I'd be surprised if you don't get sub gramers off it. Don't clean the rubbish off it for someone else to grab the gold....Cheers and best of luck..Wal. :)

Hi Wal thanks for the advice next time i head there i were going over where i had detected then i were going to do another patch nearby and it s good to have someone give you advice on what to do cheers Terry

The forum has a mountain of info but thought we could start a topic dedicated to GPX5000 settings. I know the settings change depending on coil type and ground type etc.

We could have general format for the posts that looks like this:
1. Coil type/size
2. Ground type
3. Area the settings are used e.g. Chewton, Vic.

Hope I'm not asking too much of you all but it would be a great resource for everyone?

Yes I think it's a great topic to have. I found with the new coils out setting are certainly different now. Rohan told me the new evolutions like a lower RX and work best off the ground.
KM

There are a many other things that make it personal too;

Using a Booster or not
Headphones or Speaker
How good is your hearing
How quickly (or slow) you swing the coil
Weather conditions
EMI/EMC interference

and that's just off the top without much thought lol.

I've had my 5000 since new (about 3+ years), I go out 2-3 times a year to the VIC GT. My experience is start with FP, then tweek as required, given all the variables, and you're pretty close to the mark.

KIM-MARGARET said:
Yes I think it's a great topic to have. I found with the new coils out setting are certainly different now. Rohan told me the new evolutions like a lower RX and work best off the ground.
KM
KM, do you mean he recommended not to scrub the coil on the ground? Did he suggest a height?
I have been wondering about this.
Thanks Dignit

Hi Dignit

Yes he said not to scrub coil on the ground, a target with the EVo will be clearer if the coil is just above, I suppose meaning as close as you can but not on.

I had a few issues with 12 EVO on the ground, getting a lot of random signals and false interference.

Now a touch of the ground its all gone and targets are much clearer. Rohan did say they work best if they are not touching the ground how high he didn't say so I just go as close as I can without touching.

K-M

Very interesting.i shall have to try that out next time. I geuss I only ever scrub on clear ground or raked spots anyway so generally areas I'm probly swinging above the ground a little bit anyway when you take into account leaf litter. Some good info that ill have to try out, thanks. :) p

One thing I've noticed while trying different settings goes against most things I've read and been told.dont know if its just my hearing or the targets I've tried it on but here goes(I know people wont agree but this has been my findings). Running in fine gold factory presets. Get a target so play around a bit. Changed rx up and down at least 4 to 5 points. Made a very slight difference to me. Did the same with the stabilizer and made a huge difference . Up a few points target really stood out but got a bit unstable but I'm used to sdc noises , put stab down a few points and target really was tough to hear.i I'm far from a knowledgable user but just some observations I made and they may just work for some people in some areas.

Not confident with a higher stab setting yet just that to me it had more of a influence than the gain. Please don't take my word for it but just a few things to try. Works for some not others. Have tried inverted and it just doesn't work for me. The best part is everyone's different and some things work and for others it doesn't . I do believe that's one of the best things with the gpx series is that you can set up to your own specific hearing and interpretation of said sounds. When I first started I had now idea but got some help from an expirenced operator and he told me to run in deep audio but I soon discovered it wasn't for me , couldn't decifer noises properly so I think we all need to play around and find the best for ourselves.

I have been running FP and only changed the gain and used inverted with a booster/speaker. Not used the DD yet. Ran the Evo and Elite swinging slow. Given results in Central Vic. The tracking was fixed. I'll note the settings and post them here tomorrow

Latest posts