Unknown item found at the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How deep is that hole plastered :eek: 8) 8)
1485224798_1437731649_f6fe9940bf.jpg

You've gota let us know what you find :D show us some more :p

Now thats commitment, mine wasn't that deep but it felt like it when i was digging it up.

Just waiting to speak with Heritage Victoria to see if it has any historical value.

Don't tell them the exact beach you found it, Everyone will be there :eek: I'd be checking for deep coins, even if they say it's not historical it's definitely old :eek: old
they may not be able to put a name to the ship, but if you can find old sea urchin coins may help to be able to date it :)
I'm sure one of the members would help out with combing the beach if it's too big to do by yourself ;)

Amazing find Plastered! Definitely something that could be put in the history book, you'll know soon!
Oh and welcome to PA!

Thanks Rusty, they got back to me today, its definitely from a shipwreck and they estimate mid to late 1800's.
They're now just trying to figure out what ship it possibly came from.
I just need to fill out some paperwork and send it in to them and it will be assessed as to what happens with it. He said i could possibly keep it but would need to look after it and put it through certain processes or it can go to a mesueum.

I dont really need it and would prefer to put it in a museum with some recognition for my young bloke.

Right now im heading up to the golden triangle so it will have to wait.

Demasting of ships in big storms was not un-common and they would often limp home on short-sail. Don't dismiss a washed up mast as a possibility.

Hope you can identify a wreck to put a story behind your find ..............and the treasure chest. :p :p

Great find!
Heaps of people walk away from overloads, my mate walked away from one for a couple of days, finally decided to dig it up because it was annoying him, ....87oz nugget!
Never really interested in beach detecting, but you have put a spin on it for me. Thanks for posting it. And well done silver, for the ID.
A kid up here some years ago dug up a small deck cannon on Dundee beach, think it was from a Dutch ship, before settlement of Australia.

Latest posts