Unknown item found at the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin said:
B5MECH said:
A drainage pipe joiner clamp more than likely :eek:

That's what I think it is also.

Big sucker!! :lol:

Whoa! cobber, the OP is a newbie and has 3 posts (that's three posts..) and is asking for assistance in identifying a big find and the only conclusion you come out with ends with "Big sucker"!! At this point I'm not sure if that comment was directed at the poster or the proud finder - his young son or both!
well done Martin :/

Casper,

I think you have nailed it ..
It looks to me like a Mast Coller with Belaying Pins though they are a bit bent ....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

casper said:
Martin said:
B5MECH said:
A drainage pipe joiner clamp more than likely :eek:

That's what I think it is also.

Big sucker!! :lol:

Whoa! cobber, the OP is a newbie and has 3 posts (that's three posts..) and is asking for assistance in identifying a big find and the only conclusion you come out with ends with "Big sucker"!! At this point I'm not sure if that comment was directed at the poster or the proud finder - his young son or both!
well done Martin :/

No, the big object found is a big sucker :lol:

Makes me think about the targets I don't want to go near :eek:
Might have to pack a shovel next time :rolleyes: no way I could dig that out with a horse feed scoop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the replies!

Sure does look like it is from a ship, I'll give it a clean up tomorrow and post some more pics.

Don't like my chances of getting a makers mark or date though because it looks like it has been there for a long time. I need to go back there as there was still some more signals in the hole, probably just the broken pieces though.

Who knows what else is there Plastered, I'm sure that whatever is there, no matter the size you'll hoist it to the surface ,.... ain't no one ever gunna doubt that mate ! Ever ! ;) :D

Lucky its got a break in the ring, can do one half at a time. If molasses isnt at hand (horse people always have heaps leftover), milk is an alternative. The bacterias break down the rust and free it from the iron / brass / solid gold ;) :eek: :lol:

Hmmm.. Im not sure if such a part would have a mark. It may or may not, the rust may have eaten away that detail too but sometimes marks can last. Its a big bit to be cleaning. Could turn out amazing, could turn out a lump of iron. Multiple sail ropes may have been tied off onto it

Personally, given the size and the likely age of the piece I'd be considering not trying to clean it, cos you might damage it.

Depending on the location, it could be historically significant. I'd put it somewhere safe for a while and do a bit more detecting round the spot, see if anything else pops up.

THinking about it though, metal rings would be old, but older tie downs would have been wood, mounted on a metal bracket(due to the high cost of metal, and inability to repair on long voyages)

Before cleaning I'd talk to a maritime historian, if its from a danish tallship you could be rewriting Aus history. Also depending on which beach you are on, there can be hefty fines for removing historical artifacts. So be careful.

plastered81 said:
Thanks for all the replies!

Sure does look like it is from a ship, I'll give it a clean up tomorrow and post some more pics.

Don't like my chances of getting a makers mark or date though because it looks like it has been there for a long time. I need to go back there as there was still some more signals in the hole, probably just the broken pieces though.

I doubt something that heavy has been washed ashore so you could do a search on ships that have been wrecked on that area of coast, that should give you a clue as to what or which ship it came from.

It rings up as the lowest tone on the detector being iron and also as the highest tone, i wonder if the ring is iron and the belaying pins are bronze or brass.

Ive done a bit of research which indicates that there was only one ship in that particular area the ran ashore, it was in 1854.

The ship was a wooden Brig with 2 masts.

A couple more pics after a quick hose.

1484875123_beach4.jpg

1484875124_beach5.jpg

1484875125_beach6.jpg

1484875126_beach7.jpg

Great find Plastered81, the start of an exciting story of finds I'm thinking.

Some great advice offered above take your time and research as much as you can like Marauder said, could rewrite Australian history with this find. At a minimum you'll be adding to it and thus be a part of it.

Couldn't ask for a better start to the hobbie.

Latest posts