Unknown item found at the beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Only new to the forum (and prospecting) but look forward to posting a few things here for everyone to see.

Today me and the young bloke found some sort of large metal circular object in the sand about 600mm deep with his Go-find 40. can't figure out what it is, it is about 600mm in diameter and seems to have a section where a bolt goes through to clamp it to something.

It also has bits coming off it that are similar to handlebars.

Any ideas?

1484822180_beach1.jpg

1484822180_beach2.jpg

1484822181_beach3.jpg

I'm giving my age away knowing stuff like that, shhhhhhh ! :eek:

Thanks for the replies, do you really thinks it is from a ship? Do you have any photos of what it may be?

Its really heavy and rusted.

Thanks for the quick replies!

:eek: that would of sent any detector crazy within 10 feet, i bet that has been walked over 1000 times but would have overloaded any detector that picked it up so no one has bothered digging it up, or the iron was discriminated out so didnt pick it up at all.

Good find that is cool, it does look kinda shipwrecky but im no expert :p 8) its at the right place.
Maybe the rest of the ship is under it :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Good find mate, and welcome to the addiction forum :)

No guarantees given, but I would be hitting 200m up and down the beach and into the dunes to see if I could find some copper nails or brass pins that would confirm the theory.

A handful of gold sovereigns or dutch coins would be a nice surprise.

Wally69 said:
Wonder if it has a foundry makers mark on it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you find the dog, approach it from behind, if you look carefully, you might be able to look up its date.
Probably find it's a chocolate starfish ! :p

Wally69 said:
No guarantees given, but I would be hitting 200m up and down the beach and into the dunes to see if I could find some copper nails or brass pins that would confirm the theory.

A handful of gold sovereigns or dutch coins would be a nice surprise.

I'm guessing it's a Victorian beach - so Portugese coins is what I'd be hoping for ;)

PS: .... has he found the fabled Mahogany Ship?

casper

Probably on the mast up in the rigging, or right down on the base, pretty big, so depending on how round a mast was at the base and the topmight have some bearing on it all.
1484826811_images-7.jpg

not the best picture, but you get my drift. :D

And I was too busy digging coins :rolleyes: think it's 2 to 3 meters deep now :lol: :lol: :lol:
wonder when the next freak NSW cyclone's gona hit :eek:

Latest posts