Hi From Victoria Golden Triangle :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well hey there!

I am a newbie with about 10 months of detecting under my belt.
Chasing the yellow, i originally had a Minelab Xterra 705, as most young-ens like myself cannot afford much on a students wage working one job.
I set out around the Ballarat, Dunolly, and Scarsdale Districts to find the elusive Gold but only ever found old rusted metal and the odd few coins, not to mention the hundreds of led shot and musket balls.
Now i have upgraded to a Minelab SD2000 modded by B.Johnson and am still yet to find my first piece of gold.
I have been studying many of maps and geological reports of the areas i am targeting but to no avail as of yet.
I managed to loan some gold of a friend and found i needed to go ultra slow with my SD to pick up .05 of a gram.
So no i am not swinging like a mad man missing lots of the stuff, however, yes i am probably missing allot still haha.

I have joined here to find like minded people around my areas, and to educate myself on locations, workings, and overall gold history.

Thanks!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

G'day nightmare and welcome. Your doing all the right things so hang in there and you'll find it one day.

Welcome and good luck.

You have one of the best places to call home , lucky you !

For most places on the east coast guys average 100 bits of junk to every bit of gold they find.

We take the junk home and take it to a scrap yard for recycling whenever the bucket is full so we are probably classified as environmental cleaners more so than prospectors .

If you want to learn faster what some guys do is buy tutorial videos from eBay , watch them and resell them when finished , Jonathan porter has a few out but there are a few others too .

Happy travels :D

Thanks for the HeadsUp Headsup! Much appreciated i will look into that as so far i have tried to stick with mapping and the words of wisdom from the elders in the areas, the ones who have struck gold or have been around and dabbled with prospecting too.

Cheers and i hope your next find is gold not rubbish! :)

Nightmare said:
Thanks for the HeadsUp Headsup! Much appreciated i will look into that as so far i have tried to stick with mapping and the words of wisdom from the elders in the areas, the ones who have struck gold or have been around and dabbled with prospecting too.

Cheers and i hope your next find is gold not rubbish! :)

:D

You're lucky if you have "elders" to talk to.

It's not so important to know where they searched but "why"

There are many theories about how gold sheds and gets distributed from a source , learning these are 100 times more valuable than getting locations to dig .

Search for and read posts from a guy called loamer on this site , the guy has wisdom beyond my understanding .

Learn about "the why" , get out in the field , sit down , look at the geology and geography around you and take some time to think about how gold may have travelled before you start swinging the magic stick .

;)

Hello Nightmare, been on and off forum like you am studying as well as raising 3 kidlings by myself. Most of the time I read many articles off here. One day I plan to get my bro's sd2100 refurbished and go down to Claremont. CQ... in my local area lack of water makes it difficult but I know Lassiter is in the ground in them there hills. Lol

As in Lassiters gold? The infamous missing gold reef?
That would be awesome to find wouldnt it.
Ambitions. Its good to have ambitions. :) thanks and what are you studying?.

Cheers :cool:

Latest posts