Lost and found on Bruce Highway

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just having a giggle to myself....our southern brothers wouldnt know a croc if it jumped out of the creek and bit'em on the knobb....lol

This was like a T-rex....it actually had chased cattle onto highway which they got hit by semi. The driver of the semi just went white seeing this bloke there.

On that point of being safe in the tropics, being the reason I have not given my new prospecting spot a go yet until someone can confirm whether or not they are found up that far. It is possible considering the Bowen River has a major croc problem. Men in Army greens with Gnarly big teeth will not convince me to touch the gold. I like my limbs attached!

GoldCheddar2005 said:
On that point of being safe in the tropics, being the reason I have not given my new prospecting spot a go yet until someone can confirm whether or not they are found up that far. It is possible considering the Bowen River has a major croc problem. Men in Army greens with Gnarly big teeth will not convince me to touch the gold. I like my limbs attached!

dont you have a 30-30 winchester you can strap to the side of the detector ?

its not something you do alone .

even if youre 20 metres from the riverbank you would still be nervous without a tooled up bodyguard watching your back . those buggers are so fast and so cunning :8

Very interesting now, lizards are extremely smart, and the bigger they are the bigger their brains are, I've seen a 3 inch stripey work out the patterns of egg carrying ants, run around a rock to a vantage point count the pattern again and snatch the yummy ant egg for whatever reason they do, but I suspect he was looking for the weary ant with a loose grip myself ,.... so, I wonder if the crock waits till he hears the truck coming before he scares the cows out in front of it ...... Mmmmmm yummy road kill on demand. :eek: ;) 8)

Nor sure but I remember the land owner telling stories.. and many on his land are not small. Last year one wandered onto Dray Park Moto-X track...Swamps are 300 metres behind trac and near Proserpine Airport.

8) Ya can't hunt something if you don't know where it is hey ! (Crock point of view) :eek:

If anyone watches Andy Thomsen's youtubes on Saltwater fly-fishing, he regularly goes to these locations near the Highway...and filmed a River king chase his boat in Hinchinbrook

silver said:
Very interesting now, lizards are extremely smart, and the bigger they are the bigger their brains are, I've seen a 3 inch stripey work out the patterns of egg carrying ants, run around a rock to a vantage point count the pattern again and snatch the yummy ant egg for whatever reason they do, but I suspect he was looking for the weary ant with a loose grip myself ,.... so, I wonder if the crock waits till he hears the truck coming before he scares the cows out in front of it ...... Mmmmmm yummy road kill on demand. :eek: ;) 8)

Clever croc waited for a truck to get that cow meat tenderised more than a car would have done it.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that a croc would do that .... Good thinking silver

I lived at Daintree, Nth Qld, for 7 years and seeing crocs on the highway was not unusual, one was even run over by a taxi on the road to the airport in Cairns. Most times they would be laying in the drains beside the road and people would just drive past them and not know they were there.

I have been told that the crocks have worked out how to
catch pigs out.
A pig will walk along a bank watching the water for danger.
The crocks sit higher on the bank waiting.
Pig walks past looking the other way.
Only thing between the crock and water is the pig.

yobskin said:
Just having a giggle to myself....our southern brothers wouldnt know a croc if it jumped out of the creek and bit'em on the knobb....lol
Had a freshy swim past me up the cape i didnt see comin . S...t myself :)

Prospected rivers up there in the 1970 s but most where shot out or small then . Ot a hell of a scare start of last year 275 k north of Mt Isa where a freshy swam past me ( 5 metres away ) from behind . Knew they where around but still made me jump .
Still do some prospecting far north qld but the crocks have got a lot bigger over the last 40 years .
More dangerouse now than 1970 when they where shooting them . They where shy of people back then cos of their guns . Not any more

Old Fred said:
Prospected rivers up there in the 1970 s but most where shot out or small then . Ot a hell of a scare start of last year 275 k north of Mt Isa where a freshy swam past me ( 5 metres away ) from behind . Knew they where around but still made me jump .
Still do some prospecting far north qld but the crocks have got a lot bigger over the last 40 years .
More dangerouse now than 1970 when they where shooting them . They where shy of people back then cos of their guns . Not any more

More and more reports of them being on beaches where they haven't been seen all that much like Eimeo in Mackay. Proserpine River is grossly infested. After seeing those videos I would even be cautious of Lake Proserpine.

Yep, since they have been protected for so long now, they have no fear of humans, and their numbers are so high, that they are becoming a real problem, and its going to get worse. I reckon it is time to allow hunting sefaris again.

I agree!!!! I go out to my creek and I already have eyes on the back of my head... Crocs cannot get into this particular spot but two others it is a possible. Already looking out for snakes, pigs, wild dogs and other human beings...do need to turn a few into handbags.