2017 detector finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice hunt GP, lovely shilling and yes those projectile would have absolutely destroyed anything they hit, would be a quick end for anything on the receiving end of one.

Shilling is a nice and low mintage too.

Bit of a lazy day today, hence I didn't stray too far from home (old church site again). Down to picking out the most ordinary of signals from the bed of nails that covers this site, on the left of the photo is only a portion of the nails and iron junk that came out of the holes with today's finds. With the iron pretty much masking anything deeper than 4-5 inches, items like the spoons were only picked up with the Deus getting a brief tone from the very end of the spoons, and usually upright in the hole (very thin section to detect).

Nothing really of worth today, fob watch parts, gold plated watch, and a couple of buckles etc. Good practice if anything picking out masked targets.

Will have to put my thinking cap on tonight, and come up with a half decent location for tomorrow. ;)

1496313234_img_20170601_193923.jpg

Put the sniffer into action Gp ,... wow, you can see just how much that iron masking can hide big stuff too, great job on hearing through the window edges mate. :Y: :party: :Y:

silver said:
Put the sniffer into action Gp ,... wow, you can see just how much that iron masking can hide big stuff too, great job on hearing through the window edges mate. :Y: :party: :Y:

Hence why you can say a site such as this is never completely hunted out. Mainly as you physically can't detect items lying under all the iron, no matter how fast your detector is. Sometimes you just get a snippet of info from a target sitting in a gap between iron targets, as for tones and ID's, throw them out the window as the iron will play havoc with both of those (ie tones or ID's not what you would usually expect from a usual target).

Even more confusing if using a much higher frequency regarding tones, as it pushes the tone ID a lot higher than what you would expect, with annoying targets like foil falling into the mid range vs the usual just above iron. All good fun, I never stop learning on this detector with so many different combinations of setting to play around with. :)

Thats food for thought ...
With that in mind , im gonna revisit an old site that has been quite good to me in the past.
i havent been back to for a long time due to the high volume of nails and other junk associated with burning
Wont be for a while though as i have a few potential hot permissions to follow up on ;)

Sandta said:
Thats food for thought ...
With that in mind , im gonna revisit an old site that has been quite good to me in the past.
i havent been back to for a long time due to the high volume of nails and other junk associated with burning
Wont be for a while though as i have a few potential hot permissions to follow up on ;)

That's why I take away all dug iron targets, and don't just throw them back in the hole. One more piece of iron you don't have to contend with, and overall will help unmask more good items hidden underneath. Also pays to redetect the freshly dug hole once the nails are removed, as you may well have just unmasked more targets. As an example I pulled a large flat piece of tin from a hole, and rather than just leave it in the ground as a dud target, I removed it and hey presto, picked up an 1800's dog tag deeper down that was completely masked by the tin. ;)

Today I ddin't have any particular spot in mind, had a look around an old shearing shed in the forest which turned out to be a lot younger than I thought - ended up giving that a miss. An 80km drive later I ended up back at an 1800's Inn site where I last found an 1850's penny.

Thought it would be an opportune time to explore the extremities of the site for coins/relics that might have been dropped by travellers camping for the night. No mean feat considering the area is huge, and locating a coin would be akin to finding a needle in a haystack. Not to be deterred, I started gridding not far off the main road, and immediately hit several unshot musket balls - a good sign if I've ever seen one. 20 metres from the musket balls I hit the first sweet high tone, about 7" down what looked to be a rather large old and worn coin - a bucket lister coin for me, an 1806-7 King George III penny. 2 metres from that coin, another high tone target though quite shallow, surprised to find an 1806-7 King George III half penny only 3 inches from the surface!

Unfortunately they were the only two coins for the day (Mrs Goldpick got 1c :D ), though did find a nice old brass tap not far from those two coins.

Still extremely pleased with those two coins, I know Spanish silver has been found at this site in the past, so still worth some further exploration. :)

On another note, I had some issues today with the HF coil dropping out several times. Have been told that some silent fixes were made to the V4.0 software regarding this, so will be re-uploading an update to see how it goes.

1497092996_img_20170610_203823.jpg

1497093078_img_20170610_203902.jpg

1497093129_img_20170610_203933.jpg

1497093152_img_20170610_204011.jpg

1497093189_img_20170610_204034.jpg

1497093218_img_20170610_204102.jpg

1497092270_img_20170610_200436.jpg

1497092288_img_20170610_200507.jpg

1497092322_img_20170610_200652.jpg

Adventurous day Gp, nice old coinage, and a bonza old tap, wonder if they had that in a keg of rum ? :Y: :p :Y:

Latest posts