2017 detector finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some serious targets :eek: are you sure there's no pattern on the gilded button, it maybe the dirt but looks like it has a pattern :cool:
Can't believe the only decimal is a 2 buck :Y: :cool:

B5MECH said:
That's some serious targets :eek: are you sure there's no pattern on the gilded button, it maybe the dirt but looks like it has a pattern :cool:
Can't believe the only decimal is a 2 buck :Y: :cool:
Your right, you can clearly see the pattern under the dirt when you zoom right in. 8) :p :party:

Best of luck with finding a good new site to detect at GP, that button is a ripper. Hope you get onto the old coins over the weekend.

There is actually a fine decorative pattern on the face button, just nothing to identify it with. Probably the best condition gold gilt item I have found so far.

The $2 was unexpected at this older location, usually find nothing in such areas, not even BB's. Probably dropped by another detectorist. ;)

As promised, back out to try and locate some new site, and that I did. Once again no surface indication of a previous dwelling, though bulbs in the ground and suspcious looking trees that seemed out of place indicated an area of interest. Back to using the 11" coil on the Deus with fulltones, and listening for the tell tale iron signals that point towards a possible old house site. As I detected closer to the area of interest, the more ferrous signals I picked up, then the appearance of thick shards of glass and china confirmed I was indeed on an old house site.

Aside from falling flat on my face after tripping up on some logs (ouch), I spent the rest of the afternoon scoping out the size of the site, and digging all non-ferrous targets that I happened to walk over. Don't think it has been detected before as there were a few button surface finds, and and no evidence of previous diggings thankfully. Very happy to get silver on the initial detect, a 1918 threepence, followed later by a 1911 penny. Also found a very interesting button all the way from Boston USA, a large wire fastened button off an AJ Tower Co slicker (oiled rain coat). These were produced anywhere from the mid 1800's to the 1940's.

Feeling satisfied that I now have a fresh site to explore, and also feeling rather sore after my fall, I decided to leave detecting the site for another day. ;)

1487407150_img_20170218_183356.jpg

1487407186_img_20170218_183520.jpg

1487407211_attachment.jpg

1487407236_attachment-1.jpg

1487407254_downloadfile-1.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: ..Maaattee,...what with ALL those lack faces there, they sure liked securing things...hope the finds lead you to a honey hole... :p :lol:

:Y: ...Diggin the slicker as well

Wow :Y: What is the little 3 spoke wheel thing you always seem to get? is it a watch balance wheel :eek:
Think I got to get a better park :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

B5MECH said:
Wow :Y: What is the little 3 spoke wheel thing you always seem to get? is it a watch balance wheel :eek:
Think I got to get a better park :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

Most those wheel things are clock parts, though the last one was made of lead and probably from an old toy. The sqare shaped item at the very top of the photo is from clock innards, very common on these sites. I love these types of sites, you never know what surprise lies at the bottom of the hole. :)

Great detective work GP, hopefully that site will keep you busy for a while. Really sux falling over with a detector in hand...... It's happened to me too. :(

On the upside, great new spot to detect, might just be a gothic florin there. :D

Off to a cracking start there too GP
plenty of relics to fuel the passion
:8 Have to admit i have also fallen flat on my face, shuffling my feet instead of lifting them :rolleyes: while hunting in amongst tree roots
Cant believe i didnt break or bend the shaft
Looking forward to seeing what turns up

Sandta said:
Off to a cracking start there too GP
plenty of relics to fuel the passion
:8 Have to admit i have also fallen flat on my face, shuffling my feet instead of lifting them :rolleyes: while hunting in amongst tree roots
Cant believe i didnt break or bend the shaft
Looking forward to seeing what turns up

I was going to head back out today, but after the fall I am feeling a little worse for wear - will probably head out tomorrow if the weather holds out. Thankfully I left the Deus leaning against a tree before heading back to the car (and falling), so it lives to fight another for another day.

After yacking to some of the oldies at the historical society, it has come to light that there are a multitude of old 1800's house ruins hidden away not far from where I was detecting, the hard part is trying to locate them again - no maps or surface ruins to go by, just an approximate location and a lot of leg work to find them.

Good thing about this cooler weather is that the snakes have gone into hiding again. :)

Latest posts