Actually Building the Machine!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normal extrusion has a 3/100th over 1000mm of acuracy, i use big linear guides so the accuracy will be smaller by the 35mm guides. I should use a flat table but these are tooo extreme... A table of the size of 1400x600 will weight about 800kg... so i will not do that. I only use the extrusion and some feets for the setup. And again how far do you want to go! There are limits for a hobyist?! :D

Haha, with a complete weight of almost 1000kg you know that it will never leave the house at least.
Maybe I should move it a couple of centimeters, nope it stays put. :D

Exactly! Thats a pain in the ass! :p So no flat table will be used. Mayby in the future but then on the lowest level of the house :p lol not on the second floor :D hahaha There are limits you know! :p lol

But i still need to draw every thing first but i have some freedom with building so everything that isnt working or working better i will change that to my needs.

Im now building up some guide rails + ball screws on steel but this is for sale i hope i can get some money for it (1500mm) for a cnc machine. These were from a large printer and i hope to get about 600 euro's for both. 120kg in total.

Nice, hope you sell them. Many small creeks as we say in Sweden, every small sell counts up to big sums in the end.

This is out of my league but how about a lathe stand, built for precision heavy weight, the Myford lathe stand might be a tad small but a good place to start looking, being where you are they would be accessible to get ;) :Y:
this style link here
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...QsAQIHw&biw=1138&bih=528#imgrc=KD5FRfw82B1IWM:
If its a little short there's plenty of other options and larger ones
and here
https://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/Cabinets_and_Trays.html
Don't buy a new one unless you wish to throw the money at it, there is plenty of second hand ones world wide 8)
At least you'll have a cabinet to keep consumables in as well :cool: :Y:
Love your build and am keen to see it finished ;)
Edit sorry I deal in metal machining to .001 and greater not cutting stones :D
The parts your wanting to sell, ball screws would suit a lot of machinists ;)

Hi B5Mech,

I Think extrusion aluminium will do for my machine for now. I dont want the machine too heavy for now. Im building on the second floor and hope to get under the 400kg for the complete machine. And when i buildup the machine again but on the ground i will use a flat table (these have an acuracy over 1-2/1000th of a mm) And are extreamly heavy... up to 2000kg for a table.

A Lathe stand could be used but then im too limited for the build. So i build everything straight on the floor, no table needed now.

Christian

Ahhh, the parts you've got already make me picture in my head some thing huge :eek: I still haven't watch a lap job in progress, so really have no idea what the head will look like in the end,the parts make me think the machine will be big enough to build cam and crank shafts for large engines so trying to throw some ideas to help you save a buck in doing things twice soooooo......
since your going to move it and may have to build a base twice it may be cheaper in the long run to go for a precision ground, slab base something like T6061 aircraft alloy, light enough, durable :eek: a little expensive for the size you'll need, but as far as the precision goes would be a good bet to go with 8) at least you wont get any flex in the frame build and moving you could just drop it onto any reasonable table and you'll know it will stay true.
The extruded alloy would scare me on the precision you need and all it would take would be a flexible floor to throw it out a hair :eek:

The precision grind may not be that expensive if you can source a nice slab, will be a little heaver than the extruded frame but it will be on a solid base you wont have to have to worry about, you could get away with sitting it on four milk crates :eek: :lol: :lol: Just to build the extruded base may drive you nuts to get it right but with a slab it will be a mount it and done and move on to the next part :)
Stand off frames can be a pain in the ass to get right :lol: :lol: especially that precision :eek:

I'd definitely have a look at some of the machinist forum's, pretty sure someone will grab those ball screws quickly ;)
Gota go to bed now, good night Christian ;) I'll try and throw some ideas your way if it fits :D
Cheers Laurence :cool: :Y: you gota finish it hey :lol: I want to see the beast and what it can do ;)

Hi Laurence,

I readed your message several times! :p We have concrete floors here in The Netherlands :D Im going to build the base with 30x60mm extruded aluminium but i will draw a example first so you can see what i have in mind! And about the precision, if the machine is build with a precision from about 1-2/100th that is oke for me. But dont know if i ever get this so precise. The best thing is for me, just build it all up and see what is going to happen :p If you measure all the materials on the ultra tec you also see some flaws in the design. For my machine a piece of around 5-10" inch should be perfect to get a good end result!

Gilly47 said:
Do you have plenty of quartz for the testing and calibration of your machine?

Hi Ray,

I think so :p i hope. Just need to build the machine first then getting it all to work, THEN im going to calibrate every thing and cut some stones.

Christian

Concrete floor would make a big difference as long as it wasn't laid by the guy who did ours :eek: I think he measured it with his big toe :lol: :lol: :N:
As long as the deck was bolted or welded on a true surface while firmly clamped, if it was out a thou you could always shim the feet to square the machine to the deck
Not sure how you would measure a faceting machine for true as I'm guessing it will be more like a tool and cutter grinder rather than a lathe,
but as long as the mounting feet of the machine were as wide as possible would make shimming a lot easier to get it right
You may have to do a few stones to find out how to get the shimming exact but that's the fun part hey ;) :Y:
Then adjustable feet to deal with a slightly off floor would cover any minute flex problems
If it did turn out too flexible at least you could cross reinforce under the base with more extruded alloy to stiffen it right up

There definitely some beautiful parts you've got so far, it's going to be one impressive machine when completed
They cleaned up nicely from the first pic 8) but that was oil residue not rust hey ;) :Y:
Is awesome to see that you've taken the time and spent the money in the right areas to get what you want,
You've got a nice build going on Christian :cool: :Y:

Hehehe the above guides are new guides not second hand :p I will use adjustable feets for the setup, think the man that laid your floor has been here also :D hehehe The parts that i use are almost all second hand new parts otherwise it is too expensive to buy all the parts! I already have some idears about the base setup but still need to draw everything first. If i like the setup ill order all extrusion new.

Im a bit stressed about the sensors the price is verry high about 1400 euro's incl tax. Thats almost the complete price for the total build up. But i think ill order the sensors first and then get the money for the build. Without those sensors the controll of the machine will be a pain in the ass.. while homing is never going to be ZERO... (this can varry between 1 and 4/100 of a mm) and with the sensors there is always the same position, so i always have an exact position. So i think i need first to buy the sensors and then the rest. I Cant do anything now... Exept a bit of drawing wich i should do :D

I think ill going to draw the base tomorrow i also need to setup my cnc for drilling all the holes in the alloy. I dont want to do that by hand :D im a bit lazy :D :p

Little Update! The 3 Encoders...

encoders.jpg

It hurts!!! :( :D :D :D

It wasnt that expensive, atleast not for the precision it will give you.

Will you be able to build the complete machine when you get the parts?

When i got the parts i can build the rest up, and i dont have to spend such large amounts of money anymore. 1400 euro's is a lot for 3 sensors incl 200 euro's discount! I can now clear my head and start buying aluminium and draw and mill the rest!? I Hope :D lol And its expensive becourse i never programmed these before :p I dont know if i can write a program for these lol :D

Still need some 500mm rexroth 20mm linear guides... And im a bit confiused about the build up :D But thats the stress of the sensors...

Its now only:

Aluminium, aluminium, aluminum, srews, milling, small other parts... +/- 1000 Euro's. (I hope). And then one last big one, the cutting head. First the basic cutting machine and when its working the rest for automatic tool change etc...

Hehe, I'm guessing you will figure out the programming in some way.

You will get there soon, I'm really impressed with your determination. It's a big project and you have come really far now.

Hope you will get it right from the beginning when you build it up, so you don't have to rebuild it and put even more money into it I mean.

You know you are a bit crazy when building this from your own pocket and as a hobby project. :D

Hehehe, uhm... :D

1180 euro's in two days :D Just sold those two large ball screws, my little lathe and a Harmonic Drive. I Had 900 euro's left. I buyed 4 new 600mm and 400mm ball srews (rexroth) for 200 euro's for my y axis (12mm spindle) (to speed things a bit up or i keep the 25mm for it :p lol) So spent 1400 + 200 = 1600 still have 400 euro's. With a bit of luck i get next week another 400 euro's then im on 800 :D almost there lol :D hehehehe totall spend of own money now +/- 2000 euro's. Spend in total? Uhm 8000? Hmmzz Still Need to get that 2000 back lol! :p Yeah im a bit crazy but it makes life also a bit fun!

About the sensors, ill get it right! I hope. That was for me THE pain staking buy of the machine. The most expensive one. But ill continue building the beast :p lol hehehe Still need a lot to draw and also to invent but ill get there!

Yesterday i saw a Hamag machine from the 70's and i looked at it and sayed to my dad: Look at that piece of junk, but its cutting better then my machine now, i still havent one! :D Hope mine will cut some stones some day lol!

First the basic machine is a pre. Without automatic change of anything. If that is all working and i can controll the machine, ill continue the build with all extra's. First the basic and then the rest! I Hope it all is going to work as i hope!

I also have some troubles with the holding of 2 of the spindles. But ill find something to get that right. The first thing i need to do is wait on the spindles that arive tomorrow and get some 500mm 20mm linear guides + cars. Draw the base again with the another 80:1 Harmonic Drive + Nema34. And Think about it for a few day's. Having some problems with the Y axis. So....

1th: Complete the Y Axis.
2th: Think about the Z rotation if i need to go to 80:1 Harmonic Drive + Nema34 or stay with the 50:1 and the Nema24.
3th: Building up the BASE
4th: Building up the Lapp System with its Y and Z axis.
5th... sit at the machine and saying... i build this one :D
6th: SOFTWARE...
7th: A day of...
8th: coffy... etc

Damn, you are really crazy. :D

Glad you got some of the parts sold, nice to finally have the money in your pocket. But they won't last that long I guess. :D

Those old machines did their job, but didn't have the precision that the new machines have with all their gadgets.

What's the problem with the y-axis?

Hehehe didnt know that! But now im shure, im official crazy LoL. All the madness on a stick!

I having some troubles with getting the 20mm linear guides. I dont want to get to 15mm thats to weak, 25mm is to large so 20mm is perfect buy t could only find pieces of 430mm not longer. And i want to stick with rexroth. Becourse you can easely get new items for it. Like a new guide car or so. If i have 2 pieces of 500 it would be perfect, i could use a 600mm 12mm ballscrew to move the y axis pretty fast or slow without any problems. I looked at the ballscrew and it may push and pull about 1200 newton. So it would be perfect to use.

I like to see those old machines but i dont want to start with those old machines. These could be standing in a museum :D

I'm guessing you can't lower the frame and get the 430mm. Is the head to big for that or is it the lap that is going to be to big maybe?

Can't it be done with the 25mm, even though it's to big. There must be longer linear guides that is 25mm wide.

Yeah, those old machines should be in a museum. But the new machines will be there too in the future.
"Did people really facet gems on those by hand" :D

Its About the 90deg angle to cut the shape of the stone. The head goes verder then the lap on the x axis and the head will be on the outhermost end of the y axis to cut the girdle thats why the lap is not standing direct in front of the x axis but at te right side. the cutting head wil stand in the outher left side z rotation will be on 90deg and x rotation wil turn 360deg to get a diamond shapes cut or girdle. So i need to be shure that my Y axis is long inaf to get that position.

Ill make a drawing tomorrow then its easyer to see :D

Latest posts