You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Bushbear
02 February 2017 09:25 pm

Awsome build and to think I thought I did well building a 6 wheel cabbing machine.
I think half the enjoyment is in building the equipment you will use.

Above ground or below life doesn’t get any better than when prospecting.

1 user likes this post: Nena

Nena
13 February 2017 09:42 am

A liddle update!

I have changed plans again, sorry big_smile im going to build the machine direct as a faceting machine. This du to keep the machine a bit smaller. I will build it not as a hanging system but as a vertical lap machining. Uh?! Yup, this setup will give me some problems i know, but i also know that this way it will be mutch easyer to build less axis and more stiffness. Also i will build one lapp on it that can automatic change lapps, a bit like a jukebox system but then on vacuüm. I just ordered a 12" 800 grit lap for building my vacuum test plate. So the laps im going to use are 12" (300mm). But this way gives me mutch more advantages with cutting ore to do other stuff in the future. The base plate will be around 25 - 30mm thick with a maximum of 2.000rpm (DC Driven) and an stepper to setup the secure screw. I hope this will work big_smile ill let you know, i hope to receive the lap next week ore so (China, its a bit farder away then by you guys! lol)

Also the last linear ball rails wil arive next week. And i hope it will all come together these days cool

Detecting and hoping to find something! Detectors: XP Deus, Golden Mask Pro Deep (Pulse Induction) If i need to dig 2 meters deep, i will :-)

1 user likes this post: ktmman

Nena
14 February 2017 04:28 am

Double post!? Something went wrong but here are the new drawings!

Last edited by Nena (14 February 2017 04:32 am)

Detecting and hoping to find something! Detectors: XP Deus, Golden Mask Pro Deep (Pulse Induction) If i need to dig 2 meters deep, i will :-)

Nena
14 February 2017 04:28 am

First drawing of the baseplate, i hope my friend can mill it :- ) I hope it wil work with an automatic lap changer. But we will see, now i need to draw the second plate that is going to keep the lap plates flat to the base plate.

baseplate_a.jpg
baseplate_b.jpg

Nena
14 February 2017 09:24 am

And the second plate, hopfully its going to work! roll every ring you see gets a o-ring to seal the gap.

baseplate_c.jpg
baseplate_d.jpg
baseplate_e.jpg

Last edited by Nena (14 February 2017 09:28 am)

Nena
17 February 2017 03:57 am

Also the cuttinghead bearingholder is done for milling! I asked my friend, but he cant mill my disc... so i need to search someone who can but he will mill my head part.

cutting_head.jpg

1 user likes this post: AtomRat

Nena
17 February 2017 06:51 am

Mayby it is better to cut first on 8" laps becourse i cannot find 12" 200k gritt lapps for polishing yet...

Nena
19 February 2017 03:11 am

Almost got the first parts done for the machine head! Hopfully i can let it mill soon! Cant wait to have the parts in my hands and that i can build it up for real! Greetings Christian

Machine_Head.jpg
Machine_Head_B.jpg

Last edited by Nena (19 February 2017 03:46 am)

3 users like this post: vonG, ktmman, Sodabowski

vonG
19 February 2017 03:31 am

Looking really good Christian.
What kind of bearings are you going to use? A lot of brands to pick from I guess. They need to be sealed to not get the fine dust and water in it.

Nena
19 February 2017 03:40 am

The bearing rails are from Bosch Rexroth, they 35mm wide +/- 1.4" inch They are closed good for sutch perposes! But im thinking about some 1mm stainless steel plates to cover everything up. The rest of the bearings are from NSK high precision bearings.

vonG
19 February 2017 04:17 am

Isn't the plates going to be in the way when cleaning things up? Better to have it all open and easy to get in between everything when cleaning.

Good brands for the bearings, high precision is a must what ever brand you chose though.

How small stones can you facet with the machine head?
Is the quill going to stick out a bit from the head or is the dop going to be put directly in the head? Looks thight with all the moving parts going against the lap.

Nena
19 February 2017 04:56 am

I didnt do my cuttinghead yet :- ) The cuttinghead may be as long as the motor at the other side thats about 100mm, the dops can go in the head but not shure how im going to draw the peace yet. If i must guess the weight of what i have drawed would be around the 50kg, i now need to check everything and let it milled. Then i should look if i need to change somethings and build the rest. The overall machine precission is about 1 to 2/100th of a mm.

Greets,

Christian

vonG
19 February 2017 05:24 am

As long as the run out on the quill and dop is as good, but all that depends on the material too.

A lot of weight, but the machine is big in it self too.
Hope you get it right, will be fun to see it all when it's done.

Nena
20 February 2017 09:50 am

I hope that im getting it right... The cuttinghead can be milled but still not shure about the complete design, mayby i come up with another design. The rotation axis is too large (i think) made a full working 3d software model in Inventor 2016... give me some day's ill get it right lol. Mayby i need to cancel the 3 axis and go to 2 with faceting, i think it will iliminate mutch of the problems. Btw the quill has a runout from the shaft is about +/-3/1000th of a mm. (tested it :- )

Last edited by Nena (20 February 2017 09:52 am)

1 user likes this post: ktmman

vonG
20 February 2017 11:31 pm

Yes, I dont see why you would need 6 axes all and all for faceting. 5 axes is more than adequate when you count the 3 axes on the gantry. Actually even 4 axes all and all will work too, if you reduce the gantry movement. Unless you are going to be concave facet the stones at a later stage, then 6 axes is the way to go.

hehe, really nice runout on the quill Christian.

Nena
20 February 2017 11:45 pm

For now im going to draw the design completely over again, 4 axis in total. X Y and X rotation and Y rotation. There is no need for a Z if im going to cut stones verticaly. I think that will do! When im done i will mill everything and build the total design. I think it is the best this way, simple, straight and good for the accuracy! Hope to complete the complete design this week so that i can order the base materials next week or so ;- )

vonG
20 February 2017 11:54 pm

Totally agree with you, 4 axis machine is the best way to go. Why complicate things. smile

Nena
21 February 2017 12:43 am

Hi Thomas,

What do you think about these encoders, they can be read by usb. The rotation is slow of the machine so i could easely read out the sensor, i could write an usb connection trough my software. It are absolute encoders so i could bring back the head everytime to the same position.

Look at: https://www.rls.si/fileuploader/downloa … im_MHA.pdf

Mayby i buy two of them for the two rotating axis. The next thing is the long (990mm) x axis. They are not THAT expensive +/- $280 AUD

Greets,

Christian

Last edited by Nena (21 February 2017 12:58 am)

vonG
21 February 2017 01:11 am

The problem I see is the dust and water coming from the faceting can hurt the encoder. Even though the ring itself is water resistant, the diamond dust in it will hurt the encoder.
Need to have it encapsulated.

Encoders are built for speed and accuracy, but the stall-torque isn't always as good. Even though it has a memory and will go back to the set value if thrown away by force.

Nena
21 February 2017 01:22 am

vonG wrote:

The problem I see is the dust and water coming from the faceting can hurt the encoder. Even though the ring itself is water resistant, the diamond dust in it will hurt the encoder.
Need to have it encapsulated.

I still having problems to get the bearinghouse milled, but i have still the original bearinghouses, if i turn one exact and make a holder for it and cut the house to the middle and ad the encoder with a small plate between the harmonic drive and the shaft it could work, and then build a small cover around the harmonic drive and the encoder and shaft then the first encoder is fully covered up and sealt. Also it gives me less problems with building the shaft for vacuum. Mmmzzz dont think this is a bad solution big_smile

vonG wrote:

Encoders are built for speed and accuracy, but the stall-torque isn't always as good. Even though it has a memory and will go back to the set value if thrown away by force.

These are absolute encoders so you can go back to its original position. This is why i want these kind of encoders.

vonG
21 February 2017 02:18 am

You should go with whatever you feel is right for your machine, but I would chose a high precision stepper motor setup instead. You are not building this for speed.

Encoders are good for clean environments, even if you have covers the dust from the diamond laps and the gemstones will be so fine that it will get in. I dont know if the temperature will be to high if you encapsulate the encoder completely, but maybe it could work that way.

Nena
21 February 2017 02:43 am

I use high precision steppers, but the Harmonic Drives are more precies; the motors have a encoder but i want one extra encoder on the shaft of the cutting head to position it exact while i use the Harmonic Drives. If the motors are running at 3000rpm the Harmonic Drive is running at 60rpm. I do not loos any steps but i can set the HD at a absolute position. These HD's cost about AUD $2500 eatch. The motors +/- AUD $300 each. I dont think any dust will come in the housing. The bearingholder will be vacuumshut and the complete housing will i do wil 12-22mm plate. And all plates are sunken into the other plate for straight building.

vonG
21 February 2017 03:05 am

Ok, I think I got you wrong then. I thought it would be an open setup with the encoder bare.
Of course HD are more precise, as long as you need the precision you should go with that. Its a hefty price though.

Nena
21 February 2017 03:12 am

Hehehe big_smile The black and silver ring you see on the image and in the bearinghouse are harmonic drives smile Still have 11 pieces of them, lol didnt have to buy those. I think im going to do that! Ill draw the motor & bearing today so that i can let it make as first item. Then the rest of the setup. Ill upload the drawings so you can see what im intending to do big_smile lol

vonG
21 February 2017 03:34 am

Yes, please do. Think I got it all wrong. pictures are always better when explaining. English isnt my first language either.