Actually Building the Machine!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmzz.

Rasberry Pi doesnt going to work, but ordered a Teensy 3.6 card for controlling the motors now. I think that will work! I need to spin the motors at 3000rpm. Some of the plates of the base machine are already ready! :D Also checking the things what i still need to buy... the extrusion aluminium. The overal machine size will be 1600x1200x880mm.

100_1666.jpg

100_1667.jpg

Greets,

Christian

Yeah! A Nice first start! Also tried one of the rotary sensors! I got data out of it, and it wasnt that hard, took me 10 minutes to get the rotary encoder to work, the largest problem i think i still have is running the motors on 3000rpm... but didnt do any tests with the new teensy card yet! Everything looks promesing! Im still thinking about how im going to do the automatich lap changer... Dont got a good solution for that yet. Its more for fastning the lap after the change of lap. I dont want to use a nut for fastning the lap but a sort of push and pull but im not there yet. I hope the next plates will be finished next 2 weeks or so. Also ordered the aluminium extrusions for the overal build.

Ill keep ya in touch! And if some one has a good idear for an automatic changer please come up with your idears!!! :Y:

Img_3235.jpg

I realise that an auto tool change would be nice but I worked as a toolmaker for many years and when using synthetic and natural diamonds we made sure the wheels were placed on the spindle the same way all the time. Also any dirty surface would cause runout. A small runout causes the wheel to only cut on the high side and it is an intermittent cut, this may happen for the first 30 minutes or so before the wheel ran true again. We used centre punch marks to allow us to have the laps running as true as possible. Ken.

Hi Ken,

Thats true. I was thinking about that every lap gets its own base plate and the thinking was to clean the plates every time when the cutting is done but that the cutting proces is continuous. If the mounting gets dirty it is a possibility that the plates are not leveled perfectly, but this can be avoided simply by overhanging on the joint. Uhm?!

A nice way to setup the laps is for example using a iso 30 / sk30 mount or something like that. So that the SK30 is already atached to the lap base plate or already mounted to the lap. And for moving the laps by using electro magnets. So if i get my hands on a sk30 spindle ill use the inside of the spindle for the lap.

Christian

The head of the machine is almost done! The bearing holder needs a littel cut of 0.1mm becourse it has a little deviation of 0.017mm and its to tight in the plates so that i am not able to use set screws. Also im hoping to get the next aluminium plates this week and the extrusion is also send to my parents in Germany. So also those will arive this week i think :D

The cuttinghead will get a automatic tool changer SK15/CAT15/ISO15 at the front to hold and change the stone automaticly. Dit find a nice one but im not yet shure about the acuracy of that thing. It says 0.01 of acuracy but well see!

The toolchanger: http://www.usovo.de/shop/Milling-sp...le-for-Sherline-UniMill::563.html?language=en

A Photo:
Img_3240.jpg

Did some motor testings but dont like the sound of the first test... ist resonating at a pulse frequenc. Did made a solution to that by take a higher ramp speed but dont know if that is a good solution. So i think i need to make some choices for running the motors or mayby program the motors on a diffrent wat, not linear but with a curve or so. Dont know what i should do. The thing i do know is building the rest and then start programming. Also someone else is helping me to speed up the programming for drawing 3d drawings for drawing cutted stones out of nothing :- ) uh almost nothing. It should even be possible to scan a stone and calculate the cuttings to it. But thats future! Here are some motor tests:

The tests are from starting to 3000rpm's i know thats a lot for stepper motors but ill go with it! Dont have the money to install servo's on the machine!

Only the motor spins up to 3000 rpm's but resonating at about 1300 to 1500 rpm. Spin up time is about 7 seconds.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_fSgdnlww[/video]

This is a test with a Harmonic Drive spinning at 60rpm (3000 rpm / 50 (50:1) = 60 rpm) Spinup time around 1 second.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrrNuagz44U[/video]

Greets,

Christian

Hehehe i want to go there but dont have the money to get there, and when im going to Oz ill go for searching gold for a few months! :D Love the country there!

Looking really good so far Christian.

But still believe you will need some covers for the sensor rings.

Did you buy a tool sensor for the tool head too? Think I heard something about that in the video.

Still there?! Hehehe i missed you on the forum lol. I have 2 mems sensors mounted inside the head for checking the sound when its cutting or not. At this way a can measure if its cutting or not. How do you do?! Having any plans?

Here 2 other short tests:

[video=640,480]https://youtu.be/Q6T00eOaj3U[/video]

[video=640,480]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXXCj8HsI4U[/video]

Greets,

Christian

Im still here, just focusing more on my trading instead. All good, life is moving along.

I see that you have almost completed the frame and machine too.
Fun to see how good it will work.

Have checked in from time to time, but didnt write anything because I felt the progress was a bit slow. But thats understandable, things take time.

I thought you bought the 6 axis torque sensor we talked about earlier, but hope the sound sensor will work as planed instead. Can you measure the pressure of the tool head with the sound too or just if it is cutting or not?

Yup, its taking a amount of time... I know... Also cant go any faster, i also need to wait when my shaft for the cutting head is done. Then i need to draw and program the steppers and make a litle test program to set the positions of the motors. Its a time eating project but i know that at the beginning. Cant go any faster! Need to sel buy, make parts, buils, testing, programming, etc.

Im taking two years for finishing the project, and i need to do it all alone, no help or so... but this is the best way to do so, i dont want any partners involved in the project. I need to do it on the speed i can do, i also have a famely to run here :)

About the sensors, the two ring sensors will be closed up totaly, if you look at the main plate you see that there is a groofe to seal up the sensor space. I cant protect the sensor bar at the side but this one is sealed completely.

See ya around! I thought you already gived it all up ;-) lol

The size of your project cost a lot of money, so I understand that it will take some time to get it before you can spend it on the machine.

I have given up on my own project, but interested in seeing how yours will turn out.

Latest posts