post hole digging

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a quick one, has any one on here used a post hole digger to do some sampling holes instead of drilling.

In vic itd count as powered dirt extraction and therefore be against the rules for fossicking i imagine. a general issue you might run into is the churning of your sample so you would lose information on what layers contain the gold.

IsThisGold? said:
In vic itd count as powered dirt extraction and therefore be against the rules for fossicking i imagine. a general issue you might run into is the churning of your sample so you would lose information on what layers contain the gold.
That's right, you would have no idea as to the depth the gold would be at using a post hole digger.

BigWave said:
I have two manual post hole diggers (augers), and have often thought of taking them, but I'd need extra sherpas for the distances that I sometimes cover.
That, my friend, is what the kids are for.

Hand augers work ok. Ive used this lil girl on occasions when needed. Gets down to the handles pretty quick.

1484124843_auger2.jpg

was thinking of using one to see how deep the bed rock is in stead of digging and digging before you know it your hole is bigger then its ment to..

Hi Ben, theres a new gadget out called HOLY MOLY DIRT DIGGER or there abouts its hand driven but utilizes a vacum for escavation.

It sinks holes up to 14 foot only problem would be large stones id say. Have a look

Penny weight

Gentlemen, being a conservationist of the other colour, I've needed to check soil and it's varied classification numerous times and was introduced to a thing called a 'dutch auger'. These little darlings cut through soil beautifully, with the least disturbance to soil stratigraphy - you cam also get varied types for various types of soil structure

http://www.davidson.com.au/Uploads/...ring-Treatment/8-Soil-Sampling-Monitoring.pdf

Latest posts