DIY Hi Vac - Bush Vaccume for crevicing /clean ups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1484101171_image.jpg

G'day all , just doing some research and looking into making a Hi vac / blower like the keene one above , just wondering if anyone has made something similar or even this kenee system . Would love to see the inside or get some ideas for creating the correct vacuum and not drawing to much dust / pay though the motor .

I would imagine its not to dissimilar to a workshop wet dry vac ?

1484101506_image.jpg

Have seen the main parts for under $150 at bunnings- that's including the motor , beauty is it will also act as a blower to run dry pay through a dry wash

Thanks and happy new year to all

Its a no go for prospecting in Australia mate. Its classed as dredging. Id advice to drop your ideas. If i seen someone vac'ing the dry creeks this way, id quite happily help dismantle there gear with my feet and a large hammer.!

ballarat_gold said:
Its a no go for prospecting in Australia mate. Its classed as dredging. Id advice to drop your ideas. If i seen someone vac'ing the dry creeks this way, id quite happily help dismantle there gear with my feet and a large hammer.!
Gezz .......

that is correct as last year i asked about using a wet/dry 18v dewalt vac and was told the same thing
so now i use the vac in the shed and to clean the cars lol so i didnt waste the money

This may not be legal to use in Australia for Prospecting, but there may be other uses at home so
Forum users please be patient with the OP and me.

Laws must be and will be followed I'm sure.

Not being so judgmental about someones dreams or desire to build things, and remember prospecting is not my thing.

If you build it and you cant use it as you wanted to, you may have an alternative use, just follow the regulations for your state and your hobby.

You would probably find that the petrol powered vac is likely built somewhat like a "cyclone" sawdust collector in a woodwork shop.
There are many ideas and designs for these based upon 20L buckets and petrol blower/vacs.

On youtube look for associated projects -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT2Pp2SyCpo

The cyclone dust collector keeps all of the fine stuff too rather than blowing it off as dust

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cyclone+sawdust+collector

Go for it and use your time and money but remember you may not be able to use it in the field !
It is okay to dream. ;)

Strange.. dredge works on venturi.. while vacuum is cyclone.. totally different imo. Has anyone got solid information of laws on this to classify. Is this Victoria as well? What if the vacuum, sorry i mean cyclonic air device, is powered by foot pump..? Is there a limit on the size of what a bellows can be or ..?

Wow didn't even realize, I thought dredging was was water ect and large machines , and Theres a prospecting supplies shop in WA that sells the keene Hi vac , maybe they should be informed before someone chucks the toys out the pram in the shop and they get in trouble .

Bummer , i was looking forward to starting a new project.

Are the hand vacs made from pvc pipes classed as dredges / hand dredge ? Would these be illegal also ?

Thanks greenhornet_au , i do like to dream .

I think i'll give the shop a call and get there 2c as well .

AtomRat said:
Strange.. dredge works on venturi.. while vacuum is cyclone.. totally different imo. Has anyone got solid information of laws on this to classify. Is this Victoria as well? What if the vacuum, sorry i mean cyclonic air device, is powered by foot pump..? Is there a limit on the size of what a bellows can be or ..?

i was told by the dpi its a no go in vic mate......but a foot operated pump....thats manual extraction of materials to me. Could work with a mad size bellows...

OOOPs I may not have understood.

I may not have understood your specific use, if it is for use in water then you dont need the cyclone effect,
as the water will hold fine particles.

But I assumed and it appeared to me that you intended to use it for dry vac in dry environments, such as
around the bases of large rocks and in tight places like tree roots, in that situation
a cyclonic action would be useful to hold fine materials instead of blowing them off as exhaust.

For water courses it may be a whole different ball game I guess, but that part is not my hobby.

However I do like a mechanical challenge.

Latest posts