Deep creek question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I am new to prospecting I have a question

Last week went for a trip out to deep creek were I found a layer of what looks to be black sand

I decided to pan two hand fulls now I am no pro at paning I use what they call a turbo pan

After about 10 mins of paning I had found that the pan was a pretty gold colour it was really fine stuff I had been told that there is a lot of fools gold around from a local walking by my question is how can I tell the diffrence when it is that small I'd say I got it down to under 20 mesh I know fools gold is lighter then gold and should leave my pan the problem is it would not so I took a few bukkit fulls back with me to run it. As I was diging I found a pre 1900 glass bottle the type were you had to smash the top off to open it. I took it with me all so to find out more about it turns out to be an old caster bottle dateing to around 1850 to 1900 pitty I smashed it with the pick would of been a pretty purple bottle.

Jaros said:
If it's fools gold it won't set of a pin pointer or detector.
See if you can squash it with your fingers in the pan...You wont squash gold with your finger.

Smoky bandit said:
Jaros said:
If it's fools gold it won't set of a pin pointer or detector.
See if you can squash it with your fingers in the pan...You wont squash gold with your finger.
And if you got heeps in ya pan...Than its 99.999% chance its pirite :D

Pyrite/fools gold will look silver in shade and be cube-ish in shape....and will crush under pressure.
Smoky bandit knows all about fools gold hahahaha

I'll try get some pics up of what it looks like. There are some cube-ish bits and this has too be fools but there are all so some flat flake and micro gold colour bits this stuff will shine on any angle in any lighting will all ways look gold

I had hit a Gray clay layer were just above this was Gray/black sand with Quartz thru it i suppect it was an old crushing site

I'll keep you guys posted im itching to try sort it

Ps some bits are too small to try crush or pinch I can't bring my self to tossing it befor I know what it really is id hate to have a golden garden :/

Mad4gold88 said:
I'll try get some pics up of what it looks like. There are some cube-ish bits and this has too be fools but there are all so some flat flake and micro gold colour bits this stuff will shine on any angle in any lighting will all ways look gold

I had hit a Gray clay layer were just above this was Gray/black sand with Quartz thru it i suppect it was an old crushing site

I'll keep you guys posted im itching to try sort it

Ps some bits are too small to try crush or pinch I can't bring my self to tossing it befor I know what it really is id hate to have a golden garden :/
Use a tea spoon :D

yobskin said:
Pyrite/fools gold will look silver in shade and be cube-ish in shape....and will crush under pressure.
Smoky bandit knows all about fools gold hahahaha
:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D 8.( 8.( 8.( True.

Obviously I haven't seen what you have, but if you have been able to pan off all the black sand, and you've got a lot of colour left, then IMHO I'd say that at least some of it will be gold.

Black sand is fairly heavy and pyrites is fairly light, so me thinks you should have panned off at least most of any pyrite with the black sand. So I wouldn't go tipping any of it just yet.

Cheers
Bill

8) Put a magnet in a zip lock bag and magic the black sand out under water in the pan ,.... then take the photo to put up ,.... we all siting round in lounge chairs waiting on you Mad ! ;) :lol:

1484047357_image.jpg

1484047358_image.jpg

1484047358_image.jpg

Im in the process of building a miller table. Here are just a few pics

Good for spotting where the bigger crocks are lurking at least ! 8) those lines through the surface scum don't happen by themselves ! :eek: