Red Hill Creek and Crossover Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGL

Reaction score
Anyone ever found gold in these creeks? Been there twice but nothing, can't find any bedrock just lots of sandy gravel

Cheers mate, kind of felt like i'd be digging half way to China, ever tried Pheasant Creek?

Tried Pheasant creek a while back. A mate got some nice colours at the bottom of a mini waterfall in the creek so we all joined up the following weekend with a couple of highbankers. They continued on the water fall and i went downstream a bit. Not enough found to bother going back. Lots of leeches also, had at least 10 over our clothes and hands/arms. Hawthorn creek might be a better try. Once found a nice big picker crevicing in the rock bars there a few years back.

Anyone been up to the reef workings? Went there a couple of years ago but was very overgrown but good to have a look at.

Bjay said:
Anyone been up to the reef workings? Went there a couple of years ago but was very overgrown but good to have a look at.

I tried about 4 - 6 weeks ago but couldn't gain wheeled access along that section of Red Hill Creek because the shire council had the road closed at both ends. I called off the walk about a quarter way in due to the lateness of the day. The road is badly cut up and rutted between bog holes :( and it needs grading and re metalling. The signs look like they been there a while so the road (track?) repair is probably not a priority.

casper

this is interesting https://www.facebook.com/Old-Crossover-887471534639859/

Cheers guys, I think we all love the chase, the chance to stumble across something new or something the old timers missed. I'm pretty new at it and its great just being out in these creeks.Hopefully you're all finding some colour. I got myself a rotapan and I'm fairly impressed by the small gold it recovers, great when water supply is restricted. Good luck

Hi all. I live in the west gippsland area and grew up around crossover and have just started prospecting this area. Any tips or hints greatly appreciated

bumdags said:
Hi all. I live in the west gippsland area and grew up around crossover and have just started prospecting this area. Any tips or hints greatly appreciated

Pretty slim pickings with a detector. This area is only 15 min from my house. I've detected there probably 50 times over the last two years for a total of 9 bits of gold. Nothing bigger than 0.50 gms. Total for the area probably around 4gms.

In comparison, the last two months I've found over 40 bits. (about 3.5 ounces) making 4 two day trips to the Golden Triangle.

I've found Crossover is a much better place to pan/highbank than detect.

The junction of Crossover Creek and Red hill creek had some good finds in the old days (up to 3/4 ounce bit), a lot of diggings nearby so that might be worth a try around there. Ive panned/highbanked some nice pickers around 0.40gms from crossover creek a few years back.

Another area worth a try is Livehorse/Deadhorse Creek at Neerim East. (thousands of ounces found there in the good old days) There's also gold bearing creeks around Rokeby but many are in the reserve areas so off limits.

Thanks rictherscale. Being a newb any information is helpful. Would you be interested in meeting up around that area one day? I don't know anyone else around here into prospecting.

bumdags said:
Thanks rictherscale. Being a newb any information is helpful. Would you be interested in meeting up around that area one day? I don't know anyone else around here into prospecting.
Don't really pan or highbank anymore. Being pretty busy these days I only get a chance to detect once a month and that's usually a trip over to the GT. There's a facebook page that covers Gippsland with a few guys from West Gippsland on it. I actually started that group and uploaded a lot of files that cover Crossover and Nerim areas. The group is called "Gippsland Gold Prospecting Victoria". (Not my group anymore though... too busy to run it) If you ask I'm sure there's someone who would like to get out for the day with you.

I've been out that way a few times. More north.
I checked out Frenchmans creek.
Gee, it is overgrown.
Did about 30 pans over a big distance for 1 fly poo.
Walkedup another ridge and found old diggers holes all up one side of the ridge.
A lot of small quartz veins.
Nothing extensive tho, all shallow

XIV said:
Gee, it is overgrown.
Walkedup another ridge and found old diggers holes all up one side of the ridge.

Isn't Frenchmans mostly private property and only the last bit in State Forest? From memory, i did a bit of research and the better ground was higher up Frenchmans. Remember a guy telling me it was very wet/swampy in parts so never bothered to go in there myself. You got me interested now and might take a wander up there and have a look. There's another spot I want to take a look at not far from Frenchmans but pretty steep and I need someone to go with in case I need to winch out. A spot I went to near Russel creek about a year ago we had to do 5 full-length winches off 5 different trees to get out.

RichterScale said:
XIV said:
Gee, it is overgrown.

Isn't Frenchmans mostly private property and only the last bit in State Forest? From memory, i did a bit of research and the better ground was higher up Frenchmans. Remember a guy telling me it was very wet/swampy in parts so never bothered to go in there myself. You got me interested now and might take a wander up there and have a look. There's another spot I want to take a look at not far from Frenchmans but pretty steep and I need someone to go with in case I need to winch out. A spot I went to near Russel creek about a year ago we had to do 5 full-length winches off 5 different trees to get out.
I ran into the owner of the property, I asked if I could check it out.
Unfortunately he said no.
But said he couldn't stop me if I walked up from the river. Now that was a long walk.
The first half km is swamp and not worth looking at.
But figured where the creek runs into the swampland would show me an indecision.
Got nothing.
So started the track up through the dense bushland, did about 5km for 1 bit of fly poo.
Found a few of the old diggings and worked a bit harder and deeper around those spots for no results.
Looked at a few of the other tracks around the area, and walked a few. Wasn't driving down them on my own.
And probably not at all. As some are that bad, I don't think you would make it back up some of those tracks.
Would be ok on a motorbike but still hard going.

I spent a lot of time at chinamans bend as a kid. You should have seen the tracks then. Damn near impassable at times. Boy would i like to see what is in there

bumdags said:
I spent a lot of time at chinamans bend as a kid. You should have seen the tracks then. Damn near impassable at times. Boy would i like to see what is in there

Went to go down the track that leads into Chinamans a couple of months ago. Looked like it might be pretty steep in parts so thought ill leave it until it's dry. Never been in there before. If you're up for a trip Bumdags (when it's dry) you can come with me when I go for a look.

Sections of the track are steep and rutted out. Mind you i haven't been down there in years. Used to fish that section of Latrobe all the time. At the base of the cutting there is a big pool that we used to swim in. Id like to see what's on the bottom