Crevice sucker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of complaining about needing 3 hands with a manual pump perhaps bring in a mate and take it in turns with the sucking and the pumping, if the gold is there it will all be worthwhile in the long run, and you won't tire as easily, just be careful in the wording when you pop the question to your mates, don't wanta see no Panda Eyes due to errant suggestions. 8) :lol:

LOL

Propose it something like this to your mate in mixed company ???

Hey Silver, do you want to come into the bush for a few days ??

You can pump first and I'll suck, then we can swap over........

:eek:

I guess that could be taken in a number of ways.. :D :D :D :D

No need to mention crevices

Mods if this is too much over the edge, happy for you to do whats needed. ;)

Occasional_panner said:
Well, clearly this device is made specifically for cleaning up a crevice, not for broadscale dredging. With 12mm inlet it will have a tiny effect. Strictly speaking it's still a powered suction device, so not allowed, but to consider it's small impact compared to smashing apart rocks to get to something...... well it would be a preferred option and should be considered by lawmakers.

How do you see this as a powered device ?

Where is the battery ?

Where is the petrol ?

It is human operated.

If using your argument does that mean bicycles must have rego now because they are a car ?

HeadsUp said:
Occasional_panner said:
Well, clearly this device is made specifically for cleaning up a crevice, not for broadscale dredging. With 12mm inlet it will have a tiny effect. Strictly speaking it's still a powered suction device, so not allowed, but to consider it's small impact compared to smashing apart rocks to get to something...... well it would be a preferred option and should be considered by lawmakers.

Where is the battery ?

Where is the petrol ?

It is human operated.

If using your argument does that mean bicycles must have rego now because they are a car ?
Well mate I reckon that bilge pump doesn't spin itself without a battery.
So yes if it was used with a pump, then it's a powered device.
BTW I don't see the harm in something so small with such a low capacity, I don't make the laws, I just run with them.

silver said:
Instead of complaining about needing 3 hands with a manual pump perhaps bring in a mate and take it in turns with the sucking and the pumping, if the gold is there it will all be worthwhile in the long run, and you won't tire as easily, just be careful in the wording when you pop the question to your mates, don't wanta see no Panda Eyes due to errant suggestions. 8) :lol:
Peacekeeper sells a attachment to fit on a yabbie pump, so you can actually do it by yourself.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13602

Occasional_panner said:
HeadsUp said:
Occasional_panner said:

Where is the battery ?

Where is the petrol ?

It is human operated.

Well mate I reckon that bilge pump doesn't spin itself without a battery.
So yes if it was used with a pump, then it's a powered device.
BTW I don't see the harm in something so small with such a low capacity, I don't make the laws, I just run with them.

sorry i was referring to the hand pumped version . pardon my misunderstanderism.

Thanks for that link Occasional_panner.
I do have a device like that which works well but i could never get down to where the gold was. I did try various configurations on my hand pump suction device. But the smaller I went the more frustrated I got with constant blockage. But I might revisit it though and see if I cant come up with something that works this time.

HeadsUp said:
Occasional_panner said:

Where is the battery ?

Where is the petrol ?

It is human operated.

Probably a bit more like a motorbike than an automobile, but less the engine n stuff. ;)

Occasional_panner said:

First off I totally agree with your thoughts. I think the main problem lies in the size that could be considered leagal. Now none are leagal. But by limiting the size and disruption to the environment where do you draw the line, it means that someone has to make a decision (a politician making a decision about something they know nothing about).

To demonstrate, the greens want to ban slucing. Slucing is bad, they have looked in a book and seen hydraulic slucing from the 1900s and dont know the difference between that and a river sluice which also uses water (hydraulic). Politicians have all the answers, it's just thet they know a little bit of what they are making policy on in some/many cases.

Yes Ken you are right mate.

Hillbilly if you wanted to use a handpump, but needed to get the suction pipe into a tricky spot you could fit a couple of gas struts to the side of a bait pump, push down or "cock it" like a gun, get your pipe into that tricky spot and release the plunger.
1484339523_bait_pump.jpg

Heres a thought I have but . I believe the concept would work but would require a fair bit of development.

I would like others feed back and thoughts on the idear.

Using the same stile of device with modification, instead of using water through a pump as the main driving force I was thinking of compressed air to create a vacume ( Much like a vacume cleaner)

Using a compressed air tank eliminates the need for a power source. The air supply would last quite some time as you would only open the valve to suck as you needed it.
I think it would work in both wet and dry conditions

Others thoughts !

1484356428_kkkkk.jpg

Hillbillygold said:
Heres a thought I have but . I believe the concept would work but would require a fair bit of development.

Using the same stile of device with modification, instead of using water through a pump as the main driving force I was thinking of compressed air to create a vacume ( Much like a vacume cleaner)

Using a compressed air tank eliminates the need for a power source. The air supply would last quite some time as you would only open the valve to suck as you needed it.

Others thoughts !

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9096/1484356428_kkkkk.jpg

hmmmmmmmmm! ..........that idea has legs i reckon ;)

hey Hillbillygold,
I like your design, compact and cheap to build.
It is, as you pointed out; a final crevice cleaning tool, nothing more.
Ignore the doubters mate; keep such ideas coming, the world needs more like you
cheers
Drystone

Hillbillygold said:

Others thoughts !

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9096/1484356428_kkkkk.jpg

But still not hand operated as it is powered by compressed air. I wouldn't like to be caught using anything that was powered by compressed air.

Rob P.

Occasional_panner said:
Yes Ken you are right mate.

Hillbilly if you wanted to use a handpump, but needed to get the suction pipe into a tricky spot you could fit a couple of gas struts to the side of a bait pump, push down or "c@#k it" like a gun, get your pipe into that tricky spot and release the plunger.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7956/1484339523_bait_pump.jpg

Look up electronics 'solder sucker', it is a hand hels device used for de-soldering and sucks at a great rate to remove hot solder.

I think 'blackhead removers' do the same thing. LOL

I apologize my post above was a bit vague, I had to rush out and didnt complete it.

My intent was to suggest that you may look at how they are constructed and possibly that would assist you to build a device
that would do the task you need.

These solder suckers work very fast and pull a large amount of solder for the size, and have a simple construction.

Of course if you build a bigger version be careful not to get hit in the face by the shaft slamming up when released.

Latest posts