Crevice sucker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1483785642_img_1759_640x480.jpg

Home made crevicing dredge which any one can make with items from there shed
1483785930_img_1771_640x480.jpg

All compacts in to one bucket
1483786002_img_1769_640x480.jpg

I would be interested in seeing others creations.

HeadsUp said:

What you have in the photos above is actually an " enviro tech crevice cleaner "

Hehe, true...I like it it. :D

'Dredge' is a buzz word here, we try not to hit it. :p Besides, 'Enviro Tech Crevice Cleaner' is definitely trending and certain to be thought of as a kind-hearted public service initiative. :D

HeadsUp said:
Hi mate .

You're new to the forum so I must point out politely that you have a spelling error.

What you have in the photos above is actually an " enviro tech crevice cleaner "

Dredges are illegal.

I personaly like ABSTERGE device. Ken.

Yeah I've have figured out (Dredge) is a dirty word on this forum.
I have a friend up here in QLD who owns a large property with old gold mines on it and a nice creek running through it and he has no problem with me trying my creations in his creek. The truth is I do less damage than others who, because they cant suck the out bottom off a crevices they take to it with a crow bar and smash there way to the bottom of the crevices. They smash the rocks apart and make a real mess, My little devise allows me to get right down in the crevice with out damaging the creek. I don't use it often but I would rather it over a crow bar.

Does it work ? Yes it works well and is easy to make.
I will do a break down of how it works in an later post.

Even if it is on private property or not the way i understand it is that if it dredges it is not allowed in australia and heavy fines apply
Just my thoughts is all
i thought i might throw it out there for all to answer i know some on here can quote the law for all to read in laymans terms

It's just a crevice sucker then, not a dredge cause it doesn't suck away any overburden at all. Be just the pump that may be of concern then. :)

Yes I agree that you probably do less damage using that V's a crow bar. I think laws should be ammended to allow low wattage electric devices like this.

dredging is dredging, simple as that. If you wanna silt up the waterways and turn em to puss, piss off the greenies, and get the hammer coming down on prospecting, then ay, go for it.

Points for the build mate!,
if only it was a hand powered pump then youd more or less be in the clear with it.
But that leads to other problems like not having the third arm to work the pump constantly :lol:

TGW.

Occasional_panner said:
dam it said:
Occasional_panner said:
I've never seen anything like this in use, how much material could it actually go through?
Depending on material ..... they can suck up 15 litre,s of gravel in about 5 minutes :D
That's not much.
quicker with a shovel for the overburdened. :)

Hey Guys
Have a look at the scale of the thing. It has a maximum of a 12mm tube that can only be stepped down from that. In no way was it designed to move quantities of material.
It comes in to use when you have cleaned out a crevices ( the conventional way ) and the crevice keeps filling with water. IT IS A CREVICE CLEANING TOOL that allow me to clean a crevice with out moving rock to make the crevice bigger.

And for thought who think this device silts up the river. ( I will be polite ) I have attached some quick sketches, all the material go into a bucket and if you manage to fill the bucket then its only water that overflows out off the bucket through the hole. The sub straight left behind is panned or sluiced.

Yeah I'm new to this forum and I thought I would share one of my ideas with the intention it could help other trying the same, or others would share there ideas.
I thought that was the intention of this forum.
I know and have read all the rules and regulation, but know this when I leave a creek I leave it as I found it unlike others who go in with there shovels,pick, crowbars and smash rock or move boulders. Or those who build rock walls to divert water through there sluices. etc, etc, etc. Yeah I will stick to my little devices because it about leaving as little impact as possible

1484210966_img_2192.jpg

1484210966_img_2193.jpg

Well, clearly this device is made specifically for cleaning up a crevice, not for broadscale dredging. With 12mm inlet it will have a tiny effect. Strictly speaking it's still a powered suction device, so not allowed, but to consider it's small impact compared to smashing apart rocks to get to something...... well it would be a preferred option and should be considered by lawmakers.

I had virtually the same idea.
When I checked with the Authorities,
The answer is no.
Any type of motorized abduction dredging is not allowed.
Full Stop.
I understand about the smashing/disturbing rocks but they just don't
want to know about it.
Hand Held and operated is OK.

Latest posts