SDC2300 Battery Voltage?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi HTY
From what I have researched there shouldn't be a problem with that. Off memory [don't have one in front of me] but the standard disposable "c'" type are already 1.5v.[??]
I'm currently running 2x186501 batteries in mine. They are 3.6v 3400mAh each. Used them on the last 2 trips without a problem.
Total voltage of 7.2v in comparison to the 6v you are speaking of.
Cheers
ChrisM

You can't get rechargeable 1.5v batteries but if you could they would be ok. Alkaline C cells are 1.5v & rechargeable C cells are 1.2v.
There are other types of Lithium cells, as mentioned above, that some will tell you have performance benefits due to the higher voltage. This is bollocks as the SDC is internally regulated. These types of batteries have the advantage of being lighter & possible longer running time (if you don't get the dodgy Chinese ones full of flour).

I have to agree with mbasko on those points. The higher voltage does not mean higher detection sensitivity. The advantages Ive received are lighter weights,less spares to carry and longer running times. As with most things you need to be sure you are buying quality batteries based on performance and not price alone.

I use 18650 batteries in mine no hassles. There are lithium 1.5volt AA batteries available around 3000 Mah. You could use those but you would have to make up adapters to compensate for different length and diameter. Look on ebay.

You can use the "C Size Adaptors" and put any rechargeable AA batteries in there....lot lighter too and the AA cost less that the C, and charge quicker

1483744268_bq-bs2e_2e2270_2.jpg

1483744268_bq-bs2e_2e9913.jpg

Why would you use AA batteries in the SDC?
Your never going to get higher capacity with AA batteries.
Highest i have seen were i think 2900mah.
Highest C from what i looked up was 6000mah

C cells will outlast any AA.

I guess if your only using the SDC for an hour or two at a time then recharging,then it might be a bit lighter and faster to charge.
Still dont really see the point though.

Not too sure, but would be interesting to compare...unless you have a heap of AA Alkaline to get rid of :)

Hello All
from my understanding on the construction of the 18650 lithium ion battery is this, the 18 indicates the diameter of the battery-- -18 mm, and the 650 is the length. 65 mm, some batteries are fraction longer because they have a protective circuit built into the positive end to prevent rapid discharge, thus causing overheating and perhaps fire or worse exploding, thats why some are a tight fit into the battery charger.
The voltage is supposed to be 3.7 volts, and they are available in a variety of milliamphour capacities, my blue are 2400, red are 3000 and now there are 4000 and 5000 mah on the market, I have quite a few of both the 2400 an 3000 amh and chargers all left overs from my LED torch days. so these were going to replace the dead 1.2volt nicad batteries in my panasonic 15.6 volt drill.
I have yet to experience overheating or fire with any of the batteries I have charged, had a few battery charger failures though from the wrong voltage regulator fitted 110 volt and sent to me as a 240 volt charger.
I had a battery charger system set up for the 18650's so they would be fully charged when I sold them , they do take some time to charge up and I used to check the voltage , 3.7 to 4.1 volts, when fully charged. I also had the bike helmet light that had a removable 4 x 18650 battery pack but the pack had a circuit in it, probably to regulate the charging, that unit was very good as a pawning light, run time was about 2 hours .
I am particularly interested in how you fit the 18650 batteries into the SDC 2300 , mine came with rechargeable batteries and a charger, but I always carry a few ALDI c type alkaline batteries when I go out.
Any advice on how its done will be appreciated

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Hello All
from my understanding on the construction of the 18650 lithium ion battery is this, the 18 indicates the diameter of the battery-- -18 mm, and the 650 is the length. 65 mm, some batteries are fraction longer because they have a protective circuit built into the positive end to prevent rapid discharge, thus causing overheating and perhaps fire or worse exploding, thats why some are a tight fit into the battery charger.
The voltage is supposed to be 3.7 volts, and they are available in a variety of milliamphour capacities, my blue are 2400, red are 3000 and now there are 4000 and 5000 mah on the market, I have quite a few of both the 2400 an 3000 amh and chargers all left overs from my LED torch days. so these were going to replace the dead 1.2volt nicad batteries in my panasonic 15.6 volt drill.
I have yet to experience overheating or fire with any of the batteries I have charged, had a few battery charger failures though from the wrong voltage regulator fitted 110 volt and sent to me as a 240 volt charger.
I had a battery charger system set up for the 18650's so they would be fully charged when I sold them , they do take some time to charge up and I used to check the voltage , 3.7 to 4.1 volts, when fully charged. I also had the bike helmet light that had a removable 4 x 18650 battery pack but the pack had a circuit in it, probably to regulate the charging, that unit was very good as a pawning light, run time was about 2 hours .
I am particularly interested in how you fit the 18650 batteries into the SDC 2300 , mine came with rechargeable batteries and a charger, but I always carry a few ALDI c type alkaline batteries when I go out.
Any advice on how its done will be appreciated

Made with stuff I had in my garage, 25mm Conduit, timber dowell or broom handle for spacers, nuts and bolts, Garden Black Flex Tube, make everything a push fit

1485379215_imag0426.jpg

WESTAUS and WOOMERA, thanks for the info , simple as but I m in the wrong business after looking at the prices they charge, my batteries were $15 pair and $ 35 for the 2 battery charger . the use of the bolt would overcome the resistance created by a spring of that length , better make a few adaptors soon, thanks again

The ingenious methods to create alternative battery systems are really good. Well done guys. :)

For my SDC I just went to Phase Technical (a PA sponsor I think) and I got a set of 4 X AccuPower 6000mah C Cell batteries. They are a perfect fit for the SDC. Have the right size nipple on the + end and cost me $58.

I have used the MInleab C Cells and the AccuPower for 6 hour stints of swinging...and they never miss a beat.

Having invested $3.6K in a detector...I am not sure that I want to muck with anything that is not Minelab or something compliant recommended by someone who knows way more than me ( and that's almost everyone else!!).

Ok so I figured out what was wrong with the batteries it's not getting enough voltage with the rechargeables and is setting the low battery alarm off witch is annoying and I have used the best brand money can buy all with 5000mah as well as 3other brands of batteries so I'm wondering if a battery pack with higher voltage would work better than the single four 1.2volt rechargeable batteries i don't really want to keep buying non rechargeable batteries yes they last longer because of the higher voltage but you have to keep buying them. Going to look for a battery pack that fits as mine lab hasn't invented one yet for the sdc I'll let you know how i go

I've got the standard issue batteries that come with the SDC. Never had the alarm go off. Seems strange. If a different battery charger doesn't fix it I'd be asking the question of minelab re: if the SDC is faulty in some way.

Powerizer, c-5000mAh, 1.2v. Do have to wrap them with a bit of tape though.

Good luck :Y:

As Reeko and Northeast suggested HTY there is something wrong with the charger, the batteries or the detector. Firstly I'd try to find a different charger and get a full charge into the batteries. The poweriizer batteries that came with the detector should last all day, eight hours at least.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Latest posts