Flower vs Bigger stuff does it shine the same

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperscott

Scott
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is likely a really newbie question and if I have missed this in the forums please direct me to it and ill read over,

I've been working some dirt (gravel) that I collected and I want to know if gold bigger then flower gold will still have the shiny polished finish you see in the bottom of your pan/matting.

I have been running some of the sand and gravel through a cleanup sluice (recirculating) as bellow.

Cleanup sluice running sand mix (Post being sieved)
1483694845_img_1876_small.jpg

Size of gravel taken from sieve - ( wanting to run or go through this as well whats best option)
1483694543_img_1879_small.jpg

Thanks

Scott

Hi AtomRat

Thanks good to know, wasn't sure if I was missing anything important going through the cleanup sluice.

few bigger rocks (haha well not bigger then a match head that weren't gleaming but weren't the same as every thing else either) so wanted to check.

If a bit of gold is bigger than the riffle space, attached to quartz or iron, it may have a chance to slip over. Always have a back up and even another after that. I keep all my cons for one day wishfull 100% processing, but you will notice, the ribbed mat does an ok job to get out that main amount of gold roughly. Many use that matting for cleanup, or similar, especially with fine gold. Make sure the area actually contains bigger gold before worrying about, but then again..theres always that chance.. Make sure you classify before running it down :)

I have classified with a kitchen sieve, Well I ran through the sluice then through the sieve at the end as it all ran (made it alot easier.)

so got it down pretty small.

then re ran the cons again through and some more yellow came out. will do it again today still getting used to the speeds of the water flow.
works fairly well though that's for sure.

thanks

hyperscott said:
Hi All,

This is likely a really newbie question and if I have missed this in the forums please direct me to it and ill read over,

I've been working some dirt (gravel) that I collected and I want to know if gold bigger then flower gold will still have the shiny polished finish you see in the bottom of your pan/matting.

I have been running some of the sand and gravel through a cleanup sluice (recirculating) as bellow.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7623/1483694845_img_1876_small.jpg

Size of gravel taken from sieve - ( wanting to run or go through this as well whats best option)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7623/1483694543_img_1879_small.jpg

Thanks

Scott

Hi Hyperscott

I would just pan this gravel off. Much easier and better chance of seeing and retaining your gold.

The very first thing any prospector should learn is how to wash a pan properly. If you learn this skill you will rarely need to use clean up sluices

Cheers
Creekbed

Hi BigWave,

Ah that would be a yes:) will make sure I use the right name in future.

Thanks

BigWave said:
Think you meant: "flour gold" mate, not "flower gold" ;)

Hi Creekbed,

Fair call, Have been panning a lot of it as well. Have found the cleanup sluice a fair bit faster an nicer on back so far. Though suspect ill get quick with panning over time.

Will re run the gravel through the pan before I re home it to the hole my chocks just dug :)

Thanks

Scott

Creekbed said:
hyperscott said:
Hi All,

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7623/1483694845_img_1876_small.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7623/1483694543_img_1879_small.jpg

Thanks

Scott

Hi Hyperscott

I would just pan this gravel off. Much easier and better chance of seeing and retaining your gold.

The very first thing any prospector should learn is how to wash a pan properly. If you learn this skill you will rarely need to use clean up sluices

Cheers
Creekbed

Latest posts