Hi from Fryerstown, Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day, my names David, and have always had a general interest in gold detection, but it has only been recently that I've decided to put some proper time into what is a very enjoyable little hobby.

At this stage, all I've found is some old metal tins and old broken tools located an inch or so under soil around some unmarked old mine shafts in the Fryerstown area.

I'm probably not enhancing my chances, using an Aldi branded MD-3006SS-A but I live in hope of getting a few small finds over the next little while.

I'd very much like to tag along if there are locals that do prospect in the area as my skill level would be amateurish at best!

cheers,
David.

Thanks very much Silver, reading through the threads now :)

I should mention also that I'm 43 years old, and up near my parents place there are a ton of old mine shafts in the area, and I've always figured there is gold about if I can persist in searching for it.

It looks like decent hand tools are the next purchase to scrape ground / turnover the earth.

I'm up that way every few weeks. May be up there over next few days, work depending. Happy for you to tag along and to share info/tips which may help you out.

A good pick is essential as is a pinpointer/propointer in my view.

This chap makes good picks, I'm not affiliated in any way but I found them great products and keenly priced. I like to help out the little guy where possible. Bluejeansronald is his eBay name. Great feedback.

Minelab and Garrett do pinpointer/propointers beware of fakes on eBay from China. Best buy from a proper retailer instead. Also beware of fake minelab and other brands of metal detectors on ebay if you decide to upgrade your machine in the near future.

Thanks very much for the comments and offers. I'm hoping to get back up there sometime over the next month. I'll post back if I'm organised, as I'd love to tag along.

Cheers,
David

Thanks for the advice Diggit.

I had been looking at second hand X-Terra 705s on ebay as an option.

Latest posts