DIY Miller Table

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasional_panner said:
You have a great idea there, but maybe try mounting the motor 90deg to what you have done.
The way it's positioned now it appears to provide sideways jogging.
When you tap a gold pan it's from the top directed down. So if you mounted that motor 90deg to what you have done, those shock waves will travel down the board, instead of across it.
It may or may not work better, worth a try.
Something else to consider would be a motor mounted away from the miller table and only contacting the back of the table when the eccentric is at it's furthest extent. Thus creating that TAP motion, rather than a continual vibration from a device fixed to the board.

I'll have a go at rotating the motor 90 degrees. I'll just mount some little angle brackets for a quick test run and if it works better I'll print out a new bracket.

Creating a tap motion will be alot harder to do. I'd have to scrap the offset weight and build an arm that would tap the tray on every rotation rather than brushing past it.

AussieChris said:
Also Rinse aid is a surfactant that reduces the surface tension of water, a drop or 2 will help with floaters and maybe the drag you are experiencing from when you shut the water off? In the US/Canada its that Jet Dry not sure if we have the stuff here, but dishwasher Rinse Aid is the same thing.

Aussie Chris I have been using the Finish Rinse Aid. Works a treat. As you said it stops the fine stuff from floating away and helps it stick to the mat.

It's when I stop the water flow it starts to creep away. I took the advice earlier and sanded the mat down so that has seemed to stop that problem now.

Keep the ideas and recommendations coming people.

Hi. The idea of using the document tray is a good one. I might give that a go as a starting point. What size pump did you ues. Surely it would not require to many gal per hr.

Hi guy's. I will put my two cents worth in. I am in the throws of making my own miller table and have been looking at the craft cutting mat. I was after just plain green with no grid on it but have now changed to a cutting board. The board I have purchased is green in color, measures about 305 x 450 mm and is about 8 mm thick. Surface is not totally smooth but has slight texture to it. It makes me think this would be good and it totally water proof and stable. As a surface it could work. My table to start with will be timber sides with water input via a tee bar. It will have adjustable feet for leveling and angle. In case it works I have purchased two boards. The boards are sold by Nisbet Catering Supplies if anybody else wants to try it. I am following this post with interest.
Cheers
Doug WD

I've been making a Miller table here today and will post pics when it's finished.
It's coming along really well, but my head is a little sore from all the scratching while I was working out the most elegant ways to make it.
Will post pics when it's finished - of the table, not my head.

Latest posts