What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thread!! Loamer, I am new to gold detecting (joined PA) today but seen this thread whilst trying to gather information a week or so back and information was great for people like myself with no idea what I was looking at/for out in the gold fields.

Go to a prospecting supplier shop such as Miners Den in Mitcham and pick up some maps by John Tully or Doug Stone.
Each of their maps show good prospecting grounds. Maybe try the Castlemaine area first.

This is cool, thanks for sharing all this info, I'll be reading a few times over before heading out in October to do some digging!

Just keep at it ChasinYella, you will stumble upon some one day and things will start to click. Time in field with the SDC will eventually score you some yella. Don't get put off with finding the lead shot, it just means that you are doing the right thing and remember low an slow. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Thanks Doug.
I will keep at it as all I need to do as I've been told is to be in the right spot.
It may take me a while, however I really enjoy just wandering around in the bush and looking and learning.
It is only a matter of time before I get something and I will post it when it happens just to show others that it is possible.
Cheers Wayne

Know the feeling mate. I have had a dry spell since Australia Day now. Approx 9 trips up bush for nothing but lead and crap. Around 4000 ks. Yesterday went to Lancoorie, Waayanarra, Dunolly, Maldon and Tarnugulla. So frustrated mate. Have the 4500 spent Almost a grand on coils and in fact just bought another one (Sadie) . Had my machine checked 2 weeks ago ( Turns out its me lol who knew) Machine is fine. Doubting my settingz, my intelligence, reading of the ground etc. I go to where they found gold I go to places off to the side of where gold was found. Cant take a trick at the moment BUT every time I go out I'm confident. It will happen. Knowing my luck I'll find a ripper nugget then get bitten by a brown or have a stroke ha ha. Keep at it mate bad luck turns to good luck real quick in this caper :Y:

Hi Robbo, I noticed in your post you visited five separate goldfields in the one day. I do understand the frustration, plenty of goldless days here as well.
Admittedly I have no idea of the distances between them but I would suggest researching and picking one place only per day and getting yourself in the right head space and knuckling down there.

You still may go home goldless, but youll increase your odds. When you feel the frustration setting in, take a break, relax and have a drink and get yourself back in the zone then go it again.

Looking forward to your next gold show and tell. :Y:

Good advice mate. It is what I usually do. Spent the whole day before in Chewton. Thought I'd mix it up. My biggest problem is confidence in the area. Only been detecting since october last year and really cant be confident about the ground I'm choosing. More research required ha ha

Thanks for all the great info loamer. Definitely stuff I will be looking back on before I venture out again.

Hi all; am newbie as well I am going to dunolly in 2 wks any areas I can look at or any advice where to look. any advice would be appreciated

Latest posts