What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outback said:
Just pulled up and detected this spot about 50 Ks from Broken Hill in far west NSW with a 4500 back in in 2014 , got some small bits only .
We were looking for a better returns .

There is gold out there still that the old blokes may have missed !

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/Bingo391/SANY0002-1.jpg
Going by that picture Outback i reckon the old timers missed a lot of gold.
Its a massive area to cover mate. good luck. ;)

Awesome thread, so much information... thank you for your contribution Loamer, this really gives a newbie like me some ideas of what to look for! :)

Hi, my name is Reg.
I have only just registered to this prospecting forum and have read every post in this thread. Firstly, i would just like to thank Loamer for his generosity in sharing such insightful, concise, and very usable knowledge in what to look for on the goldfields. Secondly, although i have visited other forums in the past, i have never felt compelled to join one. The manner in which all contributors to this thread have posted is to be commended, i get the distinct impression that this is a friendly and respectful community, and am very grateful for the opportunity to become a part of it. Thanks.

Yep. A thanks from me too LOAMER.

Read right through, from page one.

Gunna have a look at boobtube... sorry, I mean youtube ... must have been thinking of something else.

Just read this amazing thread once...now i am going back to the start and will read it again! Cheers Loamer !
I owe you a beverage or two , if we ever meet.

limpalot said:
I have noticed they dug the vertical shafts down to the pay, then tunneled between the shafts along the pay , very gutsy effort.
Cheers LL

I heard they used to tunnel sideways when they hit a seam and nick their neighbour's gold to
save them the trouble of removing it themselves :)

can anyone tell me if Bluestone and quartze the sort of ground to find gold in? as i have permision to detect on the land but its bloody hard bluestone everywhere on the surface with some quartze here and there

nicko61 said:
can anyone tell me if Bluestone and quartze the sort of ground to find gold in? as i have permision to detect on the land but its bloody hard bluestone everywhere on the surface with some quartze here and there

Nicko if you're starting out detecting for gold I suggest you go to a site renowned for producing gold from metal detecting. It's a lot easier to find suitable virgin ground when you've had a fair bit of success already.

Thanks Moneybox, but at the moment ive got noo licence,and cant go anywhere,this farm has huge amount of bluestone on the mountain and i can get a lift there and stay the night