GPZ battery charge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

When i charge my zed battery from the car via cigarette lighter port i have to start the car otherwise only the speaker charges while the main unit flashes red. This also happens charging off an external battery. It seems for some reason my zed battery needs that little extra to charge...cant recall if it has always been this way. If charging is going well and then i turn the hilux off it goes on ok for a minute or two, then back to blinking red. Any others experienced the same?

stru

Pretty sure that's fairly common with using the cigarette socket. Flashing red means it's slow charging which can happen via 12v especially with other load.
Have you tried it hooked directly to the battery via the supplied clip lead?
Could be your battery too?
From the manual "For input voltages between 11 and 12 V DC, the charger will still operate however the battery will take longer to charge if the power LED is flashing red."

havent tried (but will) with the clip lead mbasko - only cigarette thingy via a battery housing...but you give me confidence it is still charging albeit slowly! thankyou for your reply:)

Hi Stru, as Mbasko says the issue is common and it happens with nearly all my friends. Also sometimes there is a bad connection where the lead plugs into the charger. I don't like flashing red lights so I always use the clips directly to the car battery. (if charging under the bonnet regularly...take care not to drive off with the battery under the bonnet...like some idiot did.)

Another problem with the cigi lead is the ultra thin wires breaking and shorting with use. This has happened to many people. The tip of the cigi lead is hard plastic with no flex so the wires bend around and break there.

A friend brought the plug that goes into the charger and a quality cigi socket from ebay I think, and made a new cigi plug lead with some nice heavy wires.
cheers RDD

Works fine in my cig plug in vehicle, get the red flashing light when plugged into 12v camper trailer socket but??

I have Merit plugs in our caravan and the cars, I cut the alligator plugs off the heavier wired lead and fitted a merit plug to it... never had a problem with charging or a blinking light. I fitted the cable with two pin automotive connectors so I can change between the merit plug or alligator clamps.

you could just get a better quality cig plug and fit it to the alligator cables.

Hi Guys

I was wondering if I cut the wires and put an anderson plug on will it work as i have the same problem.

Anderson will be great in eliminating contact problems, however it depends which side of the ignition switch power is taken from.

The Anderson will need a fuse. Lots of cig plugs have a built in fuse. A simple blade fuse with 2 connectors.

Yes mine was installed by a good autolec so all good there.
I think minelab suck in that the product they supply can't produce the goods. That's in the way of charging.

Latest posts