driving lights / light bars??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has purchased any of the driving lights / light bars from that 4x4 Supacentre, and your thoughts on quality. I know that they would not be the ducks nuts but for the price I'm worried they would be just like the crap ones you can pick up on Ebay. Been looking at the current driving light / light bar combo deal they have at the moment for $350.

Hey mate. A couple buddies of mine bought both the 7" inch and 9" spotties. They are actually pretty good for the price, the wiring harness is also fairly decent. The only thing which lacks are the clear covers that come with them apparently, my mate reckons they are Acrylic (perspex) rather than polycarbonate (lexen) and may start to haze and crack after some time in the sun.

We fired them up out in the bush a couple weeks back and they actually threw out a decent light for the money spent.

Firstly ask yourself do you need or just want them?
Plenty of my mates have bolted on all sorts of crap, I asked one mate "since when do you night drive? You're pissed by 6pm"
He didn't have an answer.

I have heard plenty of bad and good stories about the supercentre lights, mostly chines junk that is pot luck if you get a good one.
A lot of stuff is made in China, but you can specify what quality you require, they are just as capable of making good stuff as the japs are, but mostly make cheap junk as that's what sells.

I HAVE THE 9" spotties-very good. I have 22" bar on the roof rack and a small bar at the rear of the rack. On our last trip i forgot the led strips and the rear light ran fo 4 hrs a night-no worries. The lights are very solidly built and great value for money. In fact I personally have nearly all my camping gear from them. Just pick the time when they are post free.
Jaros,

Thanks guys for the feedback. I know the old saying 'you get what you pay for' but I seem to see a lot of these lights on cars these days, so they must not be too bad. I work shift work so most of my driving is night driving so the more light the better. All in all, I think spending 350 on a light package is a pretty good deal. If anything, I can get buy four of these packages for the price of some of the others which are selling for around 600-700 per light.

If your going to buy cheap might as well buy cheaper. You will find cheaper light bars on ebay than the super centre bars.

Cant comment on their reliability but i do know some people who purchased them and they havent had any issues.

I have an xray vision light bar and dont know how I ever drove without it at night.

Like you said you can always buy more for your money even if they are a dud ?

Brother got his from 4x4 supercenter about 18 mths ago. Same package your looking at.
He goes 4wd quite a bit and been to the cape and Kimberly. Only thing he done was use salastic to seal them better. Every few mths replaces sealant.

Polky

1482406056_img_1098.jpg
Stedi..you have to go to their web site..great range and price..killer lights..

not too fussed on the 7 or 9 inch round as i think they are overkill and often block airflow to the radiator if fitted in front of the grille.

i put a 20 inch 120 watt cree light bar on my hilux a couple of years ago but its only just enough for bush driving in my opinion.

If you fit a light bar , aim for 180 - 200 watts , any more than that and you are just a road hazard , you will blind the roos or fry them to a medium rare steak , blind other drivers and create global warming.

Ask if you actually need them , or is it "just for looks" ?

One point to consider , if you mount a light bar on the roof , will it be angled so the light illuminates your bonnet and distracts your vision from seeing the road or will it be mounted so just the roadway is illuminated ?

I find if the lights are too good then the high contrast shadows makes it hard to see roos off the side amongst trees and grass and reflectors such as signs blind you. Then when you dip your lights its like being thrown into darkness. Maybe it's just me but a little over standard on my 80 series is ample.
Jon

Baldy said:

Wow! is that mounting arrangement you've chosen for your spotties legal in S.A ? Over here in Victoria, VICPOL Highway Patrol have been known to make you remove them before allowing you to continue your journey. I witnessed this at Easter at a random roadworthy checkpoint at Molesworth, 2 very unhappy drivers whose protestations fell on deaf ears....

casper

Yeah Casper, roof mounted bars aren't legal here either, so be warned if you come down to Vic, the cops will make you cut the power lead and or remove the bar before you can drive on. Highway cops are savage here, they bloody measure your lift, check if your tyres are too big etc, can't get away with anything here.

Occasional_panner said:
Yeah Casper, roof mounted bars aren't legal here either, so be warned if you come down to Vic, the cops will make you cut the power lead and or remove the bar before you can drive on. Highway cops are savage here, they bloody measure your lift, check if your tyres are too big etc, can't get away with anything here.

........ and if your 4x4 has a lift make sure you have rear mudflaps fitted. Ooops! sorry to hijack the thread........

casper

Same as Qld..

Those Spotties and the top Led lights = Your car is off the road - until they and wiring is all removed.

AngerManagement said:
Same as Qld..

Those Spotties and the top Led lights = Your car is off the road - until they and wiring is all removed.

Actually even the lower one also .................... light bar in Qld is not allowed to protrude out past bar line or be above bonnet line.
But have found depends on the man on the day ............. some are flexible .......................a little :rolleyes:
Also in Qld if your vehicle looks like a genuine worker and not just an ad for ARB they tend to be a bit more lenient, well in the country at any rate ;)

Lately, we have seen reforms on LED light bar mounting from Queensland, South Australia and more recently Western Australia.
NSW Roads and Maritime Services is a little late to the party, but has finally released the new amended laws surrounding the fitment of LED light bars. While previously the law dictated that auxiliary driving lights must be fitted in pairs, NSW residents now can run with just one LED light bar if so desired. But as always, there is a catch!
ADR13 has been amended to remove the requirement to fit lights in pairs, providing the lights:
1: Do not exceed four in total
2: Are wired in conjunction with the high beam circuit of the vehicle
3: Are fitted symmetrically about the longitudinal centreline of the vehicles fitted lights
4: Face towards the front of the vehicle
Roads and Maritime now exempt vehicles from the requirement to fit additional lights in pairs, as long as all other requirements are met. Hey, Id call that a win but what do you think?
To me number 3 means no lights on the top of the bull bar or the roof on the vehicle (i am done mine is on the top of the bull bar)

Latest posts