Newbie wanting to get his hands wet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boulders

Theo Nestora
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a newbie starting out with fossicking. Took the family to Mogo last week and we visited old Mogo town. We were intrigued with the tour and had a go at some panning in there which resulted in a few specks which has got us hooked.

I regularly go down the coast for 4wding and camping so I thought we'd combine the efforts and get into some gold hunting also.

Went past detectaden and bought a garret panning kit to get started.

Planning a trip to Oallen on the 6th and 7th January and was Hoping you guys could help lead us in the right direction as to where would be a good place to start. :|

I'm aware that people won't give away all their secrets but I'd appreciate any advise as to where would be a good starting point and what is recommended I should start off with.

Do I jump straight over the deep end and start buying high bankers and pumps or even a river sluice or just keep it simple to start with with just a few pans and a classifier?

Cheers.

Theo

Welcome mate
do a lot of surfing around this site there is a lot of good information on here and a lot about Oallen
Be aware there is no camping allowed at oallen heavy fines if you are busted
if you are panning there is a good rock shelf up stream from the bridge (300 - 500m) that area is realy good for a river sluice if you had one (i made one today out of scrap i had laying around the shop) i always get colour there you can drive right onto the area if you are careful
do a walk around first
also under the bridge right on the waters edge between the bridge supports there is a large submerged rock always had luck there on the down side
i might be down there around the same time depending how i go on my gold finding trip

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Problem is this time of year I'd be struggling to get a sluice delivered in time I reckon.

It'd be awesome if we bumped into you or any of the other forum members out there during that weekend. I drive a white Mazda Bt50 with a canopy so if you happen to see us stop by and say hello.

I remember reading elsewhere about the no camping signs being posted. Might have to find some state forest or national park nearby to camp the night.

Any recommendations on an off the shelf highbanker that's pretty decent and well priced? Eventually wanna have a crack at building the walbanker but want to get something to keep me going for a few months till I get around to it.

Not sure about off the shelf but have a look under the sponcers part of this that might help you
I have a white hilux single cab with a xl rear body you cant miss it it sort of stands out lol

I'm from Sydney but always travelling with friends or family up and down the coast doing abit of camping and 4wding.

Was just browsing the sponsors, the only sluices I saw were the bazookas from lazydans. Dealt with Andy the other day on a spiral wheel I ordered from him. Great guy to deal with.

Are the bazookas any good? Anyone had any experience with them.

Sweet. I'll have a look it. Just chose the wrong time of year... Lol.... as everyone is starting to wind down and shutdown for Christmas.

I met a chap called Steve from Ulladulla who I bought some gps codes off ebay. Not sure if he's on the forum but he has been great. He spent over an hour on the phone with me advising me on sluices and where to go. He told me to keep in touch when I head out and help me along the way. He's a champion.

I might try and scrounge up a few things in the next few days and try get something together but with work over Christmas it's gonna be a mammoth task...lol

Mr 7.62marksman. You're a true gentleman to say the least. I appreciate you taking the time to have a yarn and going out of your way in helping me out to get started.

I apologise in asking the silly question of whether u drink beer or not.....lol

Where are you located Boulders? I recommend to get to one of the meets, I think a few members will be at Tuena in the new year so there will be a few sluices to go and check out and have a yarn over. I have a couple of river sluices including a bazooka as well as a banker I can show you and you can have a go with, I could be out on the weekend you mentioned but will have to play it by ear. but there are other weekends as well :)
Jon

I live in Sydney Blisters but not shy in travelling. Especially when seeing sights, meeting a few good people and learning something along the way.

I'm definitely keen in taking up your offer and having a go at the different sluices. Thanks.

Do you happen to know the dates for Tuena? If I can get out I'd definitely come up for a drive.

7.62marksman is going to try and get out that weekend also for a meet at oallen. It'd be great if you could both or any others that are free also could make it, if not we can definitely organise another time.

hi Guys,
If you work out a date that you are heading to Oallen, feel free to post it up. I wouldn't mind saying G'Day to a couple of the people from the forum if I can make it out there. Tuena would be a good option too, I'll keep an eye on the meet up dates.

Boulders, I think there is a post in member meet ups about Tuena...

Ended up picking up a thornado pump and fittings today from one of the forum sponsors(Thornado} . Nice guy to deal with and also gave me a 10% discount

Latest posts