yellowfin whiting on poppers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been having fun chasing yellowfin whiting on poppers. I have tried numerous brands on poppers. But now have settled for a 48mm Scumdog lure. These are not a true popper lure they are called walking the dog lures. They float on the surface and by winding slowly bouncing the tip of the rod every few seconds. They skip across the surface in a zig zag pattern. I have removed the treble hooks and have fitted what are called assist hooks these are two very small hooks which trail about 2cm behind the tail of lure. The main line is 6lb braid with an 8 lb mono leader about 600 mm long. I have caught monster sized fish on this rig 40cm yellowfin do give a big fight especially on such light gear. Best time to fish is incoming tide standing in very shallow water tossing in water about 300mm deep. It is usually the bigger fish which attack the lures. It is a challenge but can be very exciting when you have ten fish chasing the lure at once. ;)

Forgot to mention the clear or pinkish coloured lures are my favourites. Best areas are flat shallow tidal beaches where you walk inshore as tide comes in.

neddy said:
Forgot to mention the clear or pinkish coloured lures are my favourites. Best areas are flat shallow tidal beaches where you walk inshore as tide comes in.
Sounds like great fun. Are you in South Aus somewhere?

Can also use Berkeley gulp shrimp wind fast with the rod tip held height to get the plastic to skip along the surface. They absolutely inhale them

Latest posts