Beach Hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So will try to be politically correct here.

Whats the regs regarding beach detecting? when where how?

Basically all i'll be in Torquay Sunday night, and the brother in law will have just arrived back from melb with his flash as micheal jackson SDC. I said "hey why don't we go test it out on the beach sunday while the women folks are cooking?" to which his reply was "nah, people will think we're scumbags picking up 10 cent pieces and peoples jewelry"

I've never done beach detecting, but does the general populace view this practice in a negative light?

I think its a good thing, cos the finds(coins) are generally minor and I would attempt to find the owner of any jewelry piece i guess. Also I would assume that most take any metallic trash or glass they find from the beach and dispose in a sensible fashion, making it safer for others.

Thanks

James

I do it at night, when you go there at day look where the traffic is then go back when they're gone
The beach doesn't always have much so I see it if there's people there, the're in my way, the money and jewellery is under where there lying :lol: :lol: :lol: , so to make it worth it I go when it is totally empty :)
If you were going in the water I'd aim for day time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRv1SIscIE8
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marauder said:
So will try to be politically correct here.

Whats the regs regarding beach detecting? when where how?

Basically all i'll be in Torquay Sunday night, and the brother in law will have just arrived back from melb with his flash as micheal jackson SDC. I said "hey why don't we go test it out on the beach sunday while the women folks are cooking?" to which his reply was "nah, people will think we're scumbags picking up 10 cent pieces and peoples jewelry"

I've never done beach detecting, but does the general populace view this practice in a negative light?

I think its a good thing, cos the finds(coins) are generally minor and I would attempt to find the owner of any jewelry piece i guess. Also I would assume that most take any metallic trash or glass they find from the beach and dispose in a sensible fashion, making it safer for others.

Thanks

James

Gold is still gold whether it comes from the beach or the bush. Way more $2 coins than 10c coins on the beaches I do.

As B5M3CH said i also do it on dusk lot less pepole around and the ones that are there most time come up and talk and watch what you do i find it also helps if you show them the rubbish that you have removed

Hi Marauder,

Most people are just curious about what your finding. show them the bottle tops,pegs and wire your removing.
After a recent trip to FNQ I had one guy ask if I had found his Rolex. I replied with a smile " I will let you know after I found mine" showing him the bottle tops etc he thanked me and went on his way.
Night detecting was out of the question after very recent croc sightings there and one guy being taken at a beach few Km's only weeks prior.
LOL also found enough to cover the QLD fossicking licence for the trip. :) :)

Being new to beach detecting myself and now the weather getting warmer in Melbourne I will be learning/trying at night as the beaches near here seem to have a tractor raking the beach each morning.

So NO morals broken beach detecting. Your being a model citizen removing dangerous items and like most here also picking up the glass and plastics others leave behind.

Good luck with your finds :)

Cheers GG

Sorry Marauder you are going to hell in a haybasket for detecting the beach - that is a no no - you need to leave all the gold jewelry right where it is so I can find it!

Beach detecting is fair game and don't let anyone tell you anything different!

I live in the Geelong region and never have success at Torquay beach for some reason. But saying that..since 1st January I have found nearly $50 on other beaches around Geelong. Been going out early evening when beaches are a bit quieter. Too busy with holiday makers through the day.

goldengoose said:
The guy that drives the tractor for the council along the beaches here must CLEAN UP!
He mostly leaves the bottle tops,tent pegs and foil wrappers for us detectorists :) :)

They did a tractor clean up about 3 weeks ago where I live lucky the weather has been hot and I've been able to get and find some coinage and my first rings... :)

Hi Folks,
Does anyone here know for certain that the gear councils use to clean up the rubbish on beaches pick up/collects coins? Quite a few of us here are reporting that their beach finds have dropped off markerly this season. There are probably other reasons for low coin counts on beach hunts, such as increased numbers of detectors being swung over beaches and or beach goers using cretit cards to purchase food etc. It would be interesting to know just what if any impact the council beach cleaning machinery has on our beach hunting hobby.
Cheers, SinHof.

Thanks Albundy, no mention about coins in the specs for that machine, it picks up cigy butts so it may well grab some coins depending how they are situated in the sand and how deep, it would be nice to strike oen in use on the beach and have a chat with the operator.
Cheers, SinHof.

G'day Sinhoff , beach cleaning tromells used by councils would be the number one reason without a doubt that coin numbers have dropped in some areas . I have watched closely how they pick up rubbish, but they pick up coins and jewellery also. The holes used are big enough for the smaller coins to pass through. I have tucked in behind one and it was clear that some of the 2 and 1 dollar coins make it out somewhere along the beach . It's not a bad idea to detect behind a tromell machine , some detectorists do it on a regular basis.

Hi Danny,
Thanks for the info, I've not encountered one of these beach cleaning machines at this point in time, will be interesting to have a look at said machine when I come across one.
Cheers, SinHof.

I've never seen one like Al's but this is the one they use in my area :mad: :lol: I know a guy who knows a guy :lol: :lol: and it does clean up but doesn't get all and doesn't go that deep
1484048639_1.7.3featurebeachcleaning.jpg

I'm looking for a cheap quad so I can drag a beach sieve too :lol: :lol:

Latest posts