Advice Required

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol!, yep, ill be the hung over bloke with a beard, and smelling like a desert rose....

Mickybees,
I was very happy with the way the Patrol performed around Hill End and Sofala last week along all the tracks, I even did the Wallaby Rocks to Coles bridge track along the river to increase my skill level. There were a few challenging parts to that track, for me anyway.

It cruises along the highways very well, I have to keep checking the speedo as the speed creeps up if you are not careful .

The only concern that i had was coming up Mt Victoria on the way back with the camper trailer in tow. It was very sluggish coming up the hill. I did miss a gear changing down about halfway up but I thought that it would have performed better.

Im getting , what I believe, to be good fuel economy. Im yet to refuel since getting back but at the last refill in Mudgee I was getting 12.6 L per 100km. Thats a hell of alot better than my old commodore was getting.

Bob

While I was on the way back from Hill End I picked up another stone chip in my line of sight . It was sending me crossed eyed.

I had the screen replaced last Friday for $265.00

Very happy with that :lol:

Balmain Bob said:
It was very sluggish coming up the hill. I did miss a gear changing down about halfway up but I thought that it would have performed better.

Im getting , what I believe, to be good fuel economy. Im yet to refuel since getting back but at the last refill in Mudgee I was getting 12.6 L per 100km. Thats a hell of alot better than my old commodore was getting.

Bob

May i recommend you try a bottle (follow directions) of 'Chemtech Australia' Diesel Power. A 250ml bottle (3-5 treatments on tank size) is about $12-15 and is usually enough to reveal any improvements...clears out moisture in the tank/lines, removes carbon & gum build up etc...

I have seen/heard the improvements it makes..and there's also a Petrol version. :Y:

Show us a pic with the camper trailer Bob.
You ended up with an SDC to didn't you?

Hi Dave,
Ill post a few photos in a day or 2. Im installing 2 checker plate boxes on the camper trailer this week to give me extra storage. Once I have completed the upgrade I will put a few photos up. Yes I did buy the SDC and used it to find my first nugget. Im looking at getting a 4500 by the end of the month to compliment the SDC

GypsyGoldAU
I will look into the diesel additive..Coming up Mt Victoria last week was fine, had a good run up the hill without anyone in front of me, was able to keep to power up and it was fine. I think that it is me getting used to driving the Patrol while towing the camper than anything else.

Bob

Bob once you have finished mods on camper load it up and take it to a weigh bridge as you may be surprised at just how much load the Patrol is actually pulling ................. always good to know what your towing weight wise in any case and they will give you the ball weight also which with the size of most storage boxes that are usually on the front of camper trailers can easily often get a bit over the top. The boys from transport can get quite eager in Qld and even weigh you and park you up on the spot if your found to be over weight ................... they even check the chain shackles for load rating. I carry all the specs for Tregg Hitch and axles etc in vehicle as it saves argument and time if they decide to get difficult. Doing a lot of miles on heavy transport routes makes me a bit more vulnerable but in saying that I've been stuck on a breatho at 8am in the morning on Somerset Beach about 10K from the tip of Cape York so ya never know ;)
Mine ended up quite heavy but it's loaded with everything including the kitchen sink :) But once weighed I no longer questioned the way I was using fuel as over 4 T of total weight with the aerodynamics of a house brick I'm sure has a lot to do with it :eek:

1491858420_camper_weighbridge_ticket_1.jpg

Bob the SDC/4500 combo will be deadly for you mate, can I suggest you get a 12" NF evo and a big coil, like an 18" or 20 inch NF advantage. Reason I suggest an advantage over the evo in the big coil, is the flat wound coils don't offer any depth advantage, (maybe smaller nuggets at better depth) but the 12" will get most of them any way, and the adv should be lighter and quieter from ground noise.(also can pick up the advantage for good prices 2nd hand)

Look forward to seeing your trailer.

Hi Dave,
Here is a shot of the camper at Hill End

1491871063_20170325_120646.jpg

Im planing on installing these boxes on either side of the front storage area.
1491871355_1257fr.jpg

Bogger,
Thanks for that, I have been looking into the weight issue and tow ball load. I should be ok as the Patrol has a 3500kg tow weight and 350kg tow ball load. The chains and shackles are up to spec. Im not planing to put a lot of weight in the new boxes just to de clutter the cabin of the patrol a bit and will equal out the load between each side.

I like the keep things within the legal boundaries as it saves issues latter

Bob

All good Bob ....................... you will probably find your gross weight of camper on the compliance plate and your axle and bearing type on trailer will probably be the weakest factor there. They will max out weight wise usually long before the vehicle towing weight does. :Y: I think mine was rated at 1200kg originally and upgraded it and re registered it at 1600kg just to keep within the limits that the man demands ;)

Hi Bogger.
Below is a shot of the compliance plate. So the total maximum weight of the trailer and load can be up to 1900kg. I dont think that I will come anywhere near that when fully loaded.

1491876692_20170411_120338.jpg

Bob

Bob she's a heavy unit even empty at 1330 tare, no wonder the Patrol knows it's there ............... you would be getting up there I'd reckon fully loaded with all gear, water and fuel on board. :D Certianly worth throwing it over a weighbridge. Usually if you tell them it's just for you wanting to know it's cheaper than a full ticket for registration purposes. :Y:
Makes any mods much easier if you don't have to worry about maxing out trailer gross weight :Y:

Balmain Bob said:
GypsyGoldAU
I will look into the diesel additive..Coming up Mt Victoria last week was fine, had a good run up the hill without anyone in front of me, was able to keep to power up and it was fine. I think that it is me getting used to driving the Patrol while towing the camper than anything else.
Bob

It may be the case BB,... and at over 400K it certainly can't hurt to give it a go, no telling how much moisture and gum in the system.
I only offered as your comment reminded me of the first time i saw the positive benefits, your words were all but verbatim. :)

GGA

Hi GGA,
I was passing supercheap this afternoon and bought a 1L bottle of Chemtech Australia Diesel Power. I will give it a try over the next 1000L of diesel that I use.
I have already been keeping records of the fuel economy that I have been getting so it will be interesting if it improves or not and also the general performance of the Patrol.

Im heading back to H.E for ANZAC Day so I will add it to the tank when I fill up for the trip next week and will post my results on return

Bob

:D ...1L?...way back when, they only had 250ml bottles.

Price on 1L?

I'll be interested to hear your results...i use it, or Petrol Power in all my vehicles when i first purchase....always had good results myself.

Cheers

Good buying... and good luck with it. You should get more than 1000K from the bottle... i get about 550K from a tank and that's only 50-60ml of PP per treatment...

ymmv.

I have found additives to be crap, a mate had a similar rig, and he put new injectors in it, the performance went through the roof and his economy skyrocketed.
When the injectors are rooted you really cop it with loss of power and economy.

Latest posts