Advice Required

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many km's on it, it really doesn't look like it has seen any real dirt so wouldn't really worry about the upgrade age, in saying that the front looks a little sagged, maybe left front corner saggy 8)
Don't take to pedders or they'll replace everything

Its got about 411000 kms on it. Yes , I wont be taking it to Peddars. Ive heard the same stories about them. I would rather renew the springs and shocks before i start to travel than have a problem on the road.

Thanks for the tip about the winch OP. I will look at the tomorrow.

Ive started to compile a list of what gear that I will require and then I will prioritize it to the trips that i intend to make to start with.

It dosnt have the recovery points but they are already on the list.

S$$# :eek: It's clean for 411 thousand :eek: at that km,s unless the shocks are high quality ones then worth a check but would just throw newie's at it :)
I'd advise a full fluid change all oils, coolant should be fine but needs % test which means just flush it as don't mix coolants ever :rolleyes:
Best advice is hydraulics are expensive and hydraulic clutches are the worst for life span unless you flush and bleed it regularly, the master isn't so bad but the poor little slave cylinder goes through hell and builds up with dirty fluid fast ;)
Easy job to do yourself :)

The bloke I bought if off was doing the oil every 5km and the filters every 10km. He even gave me a 20l drum of oil as its not compatible with his new ride. Its due for the next oil change in 4000km or so.

It has rear air shocks in it atm.

I can do most of the mechanical stuff myself

My mates wife's car had a low radiator, so she tipped some coolant into it.....except it wasn't coolant, it was truck wash.....didn't realise until it blew up a week later.....

Looking at the plugs on the back, it was set up for grey nomad caravan touring.
Hwy blacktop km are much less punishing to a vehicle.

Great buy there Bob, hopefully you will have many fun days in it. I just got rid of my Pajero and brought a Colorado. Dog's are a lot happier... :lol: :lol:

I would say that it would have been CT19.
Alluminium Cleaner.
Stuff, It would have chewed the motor alloy real quick. :8
(I won't Laugh )

davent said:
My mates wife's car had a low radiator, so she tipped some coolant into it.....except it wasn't coolant, it was truck wash.....didn't realize until it blew up a week later.....

Bob,
That is a bloody nice clean Rig Mate.
You will not know yourself now and also, No spot is safe. :)
Next thing on the list I would say is a small Van. LOL
Or a Bigger boat. :D
Why not both. :cool:

That vehicle will take you to a lot of places without modification. I'd leave it as is and get used to it before doing anything major. It looks fine, anything you need to fix will become obvious to you over time.
Jon

The first thing that I going to get done to it is it has a stone chip in the windscreen right in my line of sight so when driving the sunlight refracts of the chip making it very noticeable and distracting.

There are no other chips on the screen so Im going to get one of those mobile chip repairs to do the job.

Stock ground clearance should be 200mm (that's with stock size tyres).
Depends on what you are planning if you need it any higher than that.

Thanks tathradj.
I ve just sorted the insurance out and have insured it for $26500 as is, including $5k for personal items.
So I m happy with that.

Yes, Im also going to be after an off road camper in the next few months once Ive sold the my boat. or I will use the proceeds to get a SD2300 and start the trip with a annex tent set up.

OP.......... I dont intend to use it for anything too hard in the first years so Im not going to upgrade shocks/ springs etc until I really need to. As Im starting from scratch with regards to equipment required, most of my money is going to set up the camp and into getting the prospecting equipment that Im after . Once I have done the basic set up of the Patrol.

cheers

Bob :D :D :D

You'll be into it soon Bob! Some great deals on camper trailers ATM too, check out Gumtree, and don't dismiss home made/ modified trailers. They have some real advantages. I havnt done much to my trades trailer yet, but have towed to Tennant creek, 2000km round trip no problems. Its totally lockable. With a couple of folding tables,a camp stretcher, gas bottle and twin burner, fridge/ solar panel and ATM battery, its pretty useful, add a big tarp and some telescopic poles, and its a great camper. Water storage in PVC pipe and jerry cans, couple of tubs and buckets.
The SDC will find you some gold, but wouldn't a gpx 4500 be more versiltile? Both would be ideal!

Balmain Bob said:
The first thing that I going to get done to it is it has a stone chip in the windscreen right in my line of sight so when driving the sunlight refracts of the chip making it very noticeable and distracting.

There are no other chips on the screen so Im going to get one of those mobile chip repairs to do the job.

Mate, if it's in your line of sight you're stuffed, no repair will make it totally transparent, they can fix them, but you can still see it a bit.
Often they charge 1/3 the price of a new screen anyway just to repair a chip. Bite the bullet and get a new screen, it's simply a safety factor.
Besides when you transfer a car, don't you need to get a roadworthy certificate? They'll never give you one with a repair in the line of sight.

PS sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

Occasional_panner said:
Balmain Bob said:

Mate, if it's in your line of sight you're stuffed, no repair will make it totally transparent, they can fix them, but you can still see it a bit.
Often they charge 1/3 the price of a new screen anyway just to repair a chip. Bite the bullet and get a new screen, it's simply a safety factor.
Besides when you transfer a car, don't you need to get a roadworthy certificate? They'll never give you one with a repair in the line of sight.

PS sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

A chip in a screen is not a defect and never has been, your talking about a serious crack to be a defect and not all cracks are a rego fail, not sure what state your in OP but here in NSW we have the most stringent rego laws in Australia, insurance cover usually has a screen replacement policy that allows 1 screen a year replaced if you ticked the box.
If your going to do an insurance claim in the end on the screen, get a price first as some screens are cheap and available in aftermarket

If it's in the line of sight it will fail a roadworthy, don't want to fight about it mate, just trying to tell Balmain the repairs are good, but not good enough if it's in the line of sight. They shouldn't do a repair in the line of sight anyway, they'll tell you that.

Sorry OP a chip is not defectable in NSW at all no matter where it is, yes he can get it repaired :D
And there not called a roadworthy in NSW it's a registration inspection, used to be called a pink slip but is on line totally now so you can call it a white slip if you like :)

Latest posts