Advice Required

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Balmain Bob said:
I also like the style of the Patrol. Too me the Prado looks like is been tarted up to appeal to the mums to drive the little bastards to school in and do the shopping not something to be taken off road..
That's a funny description Bob, Here in Vic or more so Melbourne those tarted up 4x4s we call them Toorak tractor's as Toorak is the high class area of Melbourne a suburb for the wealthy and the 4x4s never see a gravel or dirt road :lol:

Bob as well as good reliable transport, make sure you have a good detector. There are a lot of gold fields.

Polky

Www.patrol4x4.com
There is a list (over 200 cars long) of users who's 3.0 Di (and some Crd) have 'Grenaded'
They are the worst engine to ever go into a 4wd in my opinion.

If you add an egr block, dawes valve and pull all the intake assembly off and clean it properly they are semi reliable.

If you want a serious 4wd for a good price, a Gq patrol 4.2 with aftermarket turbo can be had for 10-15k with accessories as a bonus.
They are as strong (probably stronger) than the Gu (gu has weak 5th gear, weak spring mount tops)

My Gq 4.2 gets 11-12km/100 on 35" tyres and is my home away from home when I'm out west. Goes like a vy wagon when you need it to (110km up the hills from Bathurst to Lithgow without pushing it)
Regards
Reeko

OK Balmain, I see where you are coming from. I won't try and talk you into a Prado, however they are actually a very good second tier 4WD, still miles above the ute based 4WD's, even though they are looked upon as a mum's taxi (which often means they have been looked after)

The ute based 4WD's are the next rung down with 4wd capability but are much more fuel efficient and handy in their own ways.

When you get your Patrol try and go on some trips with clubs to learn off-road driving skills before you go away. There are dedicated clubs you may need to join and pay fees, or there are various facebook clubs, or there is 4x4earth.com, or 4WDtrip.com where you can meet up with locals to go out with and gain skills.
It's a different set of skills you use. You'll need to understand the flex your vehicle has, how deep ruts you can negotiate, and simple things like straddle the ruts in the dry, but don't even attempt when wet and greasy. If you plan on deep water crossings you'll need a snorkel and diff/gearbox/trans case breathers fitted.
Also sounds like a cargo barrier would be the ticket for you too mate, considering the amount you'll carry. Which leads me to GVM, (gross vehicle mass) You need to keep the total weight under the GVM on your compliance plate. You can get GVM upgrades to most vehicles, though, so it's a great idea to understand what you are carrying and how much it all weighs. A good way to check, is a lot of tips have a weigh bridge on the entry, so you can see what your gross weight is. Remember the more weight you carry it lowers your vehicle and makes it less nimble and effective at doing what it was designed for, so try not to carry too much crap.
Do you plan to tent camp when travelling?
Perhaps a roof top tent? They are great, BUT wreck the fuel economy due to the drag, and the extra weight up very high can be a worry when doing extreme tracks with a high camber.
The advantage is all your bedding is up there too, saving space in the vehicle, fairly quick set up as well, but if you are a bit of a pisshead, getting up the ladder at night can cause a few injuries (yes I have witnessed people doing that, climbing up ladders tanked isn't a great idea).

Thanks again everyone for the input. All the information passed on has been really informative. I have also done a bit more research myself and have decided that I will look for a Patrol WITHOUT the 3.0l engine :lol:

Im not in a real hurry to buy but I have the cash set aside so if i find a good unit I can move on it.

Greencheeks77............. They are also known as Double Bay tractors up here in Sydney

Polky..............................I already have a 705 and will be buying a SD2300 shortly and when I head over to the west will look at either the GPX5000 or the GPZ

Reeks.............................Thanks for that info. I did also read about all the grenades out there but also read of owners that have no issues
Im going to look for a DX5 GU Patrol and go from there

Occasional Panner............ I have already been looking into doing a 4WD coarse. I consider a cargo barrier to be a mandatory requirement in any wagon type vehicle with cargo in the back. As for the roof top tent.. At first I thought that they were a fantastic idea but as you state that can be a problem if you have to get up for a piss during the night. I do enjoy a beer or 10 when not driving and can only see problems by having at ascend and decent a ladder when pissed. Im now looking at towing a camper trailer and using that instead.For shorter trips I was looking at getting an awning tent as they look like they will be good for a short trip

Cheers

Bob

Ive just got back to Balmain from a round trip today to Port Macquarie to look at a GU DX5 4.2 Parol

Im now the owner of a GU DX5 4.2 Patrol

Here is a link to the vehicle.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-1998/SSE-AD-4423570/?Cr=17

It is in extremely good condition for its age inside and out.. It has been very well cared for by it owner.

I will post some photos of it at the end of next week after I have flown up and brought it back to Sydney.

I am one very happy bloke his afternoon and am now off to the pub for a few beers to get over the 800km drive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1481347876_hh_005.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for your input. Its a big decision buying a vehicle and with the help from you blokes it made it alot easier

cheers

Bob

i had a 98 mdl great on an off road but expensive on fuel if you got a petrol but if you off road what a car go any where
check services and if car is clean you know if it's generally been looked after check km's and if over 200000 timing belt an water pump done you can get a general idea if there house and yard is looked after and the car is clean inside an out as well it seams weird but if their looking after things like that the car is as well check for oil not burnt and levels are good if not bad sign run the car take it the drive and when you get back pop the bonet pull the oil cap off whislt on and if its blowing blueish smoke means the rings or valve are on they way out no buy be patient test drive as many as you can then choose cheers sully

Thanks Mate.
I cant wait to pick it up. Im flying up to Port Macquarie tomorrow afternoon and staying the night at North Haven so will be back in Sydney Thursday arvo so will post some photos on Friday.

The Patrol has been very well looked after by its owner and is one of the best of the road for its age .

I now have to relearn to drive a manual again but I dont think that it will be a problem. I havnt driven a manual regularly for around 15 years.

Bob :lol: :lol:

Good onya Bob, I grew up in Bonny Hills, about 8 km north of north haven, miss that place.
Stick ya head out the car window and yell Dave says hello as ya go through bonny hills mate!
Lol, ta.

Good choice Bob, there's no substitute for horsepower when you need it. I hope it serves you well, enjoy

sully67 said:
i had a 98 mdl great on an off road but expensive on fuel if you got a petrol but if you off road what a car go any where
check services and if car is clean you know if it's generally been looked after check km's and if over 200000 timing belt an water pump done you can get a general idea if there house and yard is looked after and the car is clean inside an out as well it seams weird but if their looking after things like that the car is as well check for oil not burnt and levels are good if not bad sign run the car take it the drive and when you get back pop the bonet pull the oil cap off whislt on and if its blowing blueish smoke means the rings or valve are on they way out no buy be patient test drive as many as you can then choose cheers sully

A tidy appearance doesn't guarantee a good buy. I know a few blokes who are OCD anal when it comes to appearance however they will rob you blind given the opportunity when selling things. They are also of the opinion a tidy appearance works in their favour, more often than not it does funnily enough.

Ive just got back into Balmain form the drive down from Port Macquarie.

The Patrol performed flawlessly. It didnt take long for me to remember how to drive a manual again. I had to keep checking my speed, at one stage i was just travelling along nicely , looked at the speedo and I was sitting on 130kmh.

Here are a few photos of the wagon.
1481778634_rsz_20161215_0814231.jpg

1481778634_rsz_20161215_0814371.jpg

1481778635_rsz_20161215_0814521.jpg

1481778635_rsz_20161215_0815091.jpg

Nice!
Now you have a 4wd you'll need to pick up a few tips. Like running a few meters of cable out and back in from the winch.
They can build up with white mould inside, working the mechanism regularly keeps it from losing contact on electrical components.
Also wind the cable right out and check for kinks, which indicate a weak spot that could break.
If you need a replacement I suggest getting Dyneema rope instead. It's much better and safer, but you'll also need a new fairlead, thats the plate at the front. Cable has rollers, rope has a fairlead plate.

Maybe look under the front to see if it has rated recovery points http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4WD-RATE...405311?hash=item4b08b19e3f:g:LF8AAOSwzaJX4feR

and get yourself a rear recovery hitch http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x4-4WD-...320519?hash=item43dbac7207:g:gyEAAOSwlV9WS51J

and a recovery kit https://www.arb.com.au/products/recovery-equipment/recovery-kits-bags/ I got the RK9 as it has pretty much everything you'll need

Mind you all of that is only if you plan to do serious off roading, but you can still get stuck off guard doing something simple, so always best to be prepared, all my gear stays in the vehicle always, not just for offroading.

Yes the previous owner put in a new heavy duty clutch along with a larger radiator and a few other bits and pieces .

Its had a suspension upgrade which I still have to check the age on and see if i put in a 2 inch lift kit.

Im now going to sit back and work out how I want to fit it out.