Advice Required

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday

I have just come into a small inheritance and with part of it I am looking to buy my first 4WD.
I've narrowed to selection down to a Nissan Patrol between a 2001 and a 2004 model.
At the moment I have my eye on 2 vehicles in my price range.

The 2002 model has the basic upgrades to it

The 2003 model has the same upgrades and a bit more electrical work done. ie usb charging points and a fridge point. It also has front and rear ARB diff locks

The 2003 vehicle is about $5k more expensive

The questions I would like to put out there are .....

Is it worth the extra $ now or should I buy the cheaper vehicle and up grade when or if the need arises?

Are diff locks required off road equipment or just a luxury item if affordable?

What did 4WDers do before they were invented?

Having watched the usual Sunday 4wd programs it appears that the diff locks are used to replace real driving skill?? Not trying to start an argument but just an observation.

Malcolm Douglass got into some rugged places in the 70s without them, not to mention the Leyland Bros.

cheers

Bob :lol:

This is my opinion only
If it is your price range then get it
if you get the 2002 model then at some time if you want the upgrades then you will have to pay for them so see if you can find out how much the upgrades will cost and don't forget labor on top of all that unless you can do the work yourself
so is it worth spending the extra money now for the work already done or get the basic then up grade later costing $$$$$$$$
I have a basic non turbo 2.8d hilux (called Turtle) it has diff locks however in all the goat tracks i have been on in the last 2 years i have only used them once but they were there when i needed them
New heavy duty springs and shocks (1" lift) for mine cost $1700.00 and that was with my discount fitting cost a bottle of JD that will give you some idea of cost
Just rang a mech mate of mine and labour cost would have been $400.00 approx

Hi, mate what ever you buy Don,t get a Nissan with a ZD30 motor. They are renowned for throwing the third cylinder.

Thanks for that.
Iam capable of doing just about all mechanical work on a vehicle. Ive been building toranas ,HQs and commodores since I was a boy. Ive rebuilt many engines and done most mechanical repairs over the years. But fitting something like a diff lock I would leave to the experts so the I get the warranty with it.

The difference between the 2 Patrols is about the cost of getting new diff locks installed. Buying a used vehicle I dont know how hard it has been used and what condition the lockers are in .

As Im new to the 4WD driving I wont be planning to do anything that is too far out of my comfort zone to start with. But I wont something that will get me into some off the main track prospecting areas.

Im leaning towards the cheaper one to start with as I also want to get a camper trailer to go with it.

I've only really needed diff locks twice, and both times I really wished I had them, but that's in over 27 years of 4wding, a good trick if you don't,t have diff locks is to feather your brake as you try to get out of the mess your in.

Thanks Austaliawide
I have been reading about that but it appears that was the early ZD30 engines that came out with the 2000, 2001? models. Its either 3 or 4 cyclinder that had the problem but I have also read that the auto box also was a problem and that it usually hit around the 100 000k mark.

Both these Patrols are over that kms and manual

Its like any car, some people will have alot of issues with their car and others will have none.

I drive a 2004 commodore wagon, had it for 10 years not problems until it 12 years old it then caused me alot of problems, but I was able to fix it for the cost of the parts thanks to the internet.

I cant seem t find one that was only driven to church by a little old lady on Sudays or I would buy it :lol:

Thanks Dave
At this stage Im thinking that they are a luxury item, not a necessity. I could put the money saved by buying the cheaper vehicle into customizing it the way I want and getting the satisfaction of doing most of the work myself.

Bob

From what I have heard the Nissan's have a good LSD in the rear, they flex well even with stock suspension. You really only need lockers when you do wheel lifting stuff when you get cross axled. You would be bloody surprised what a stock Patrol can do. Also something to consider is why did the person have twin lockers? Probably because he gave it a hard time and decided he needed them. Keep looking plenty of mums drive kids around in them, have a good look underneath for bent stuff, that will indicate how hard a life it's had. If there isn't an impeccable service history I'd pass on it. Also ARB air lockers have a tendency to leak after a while, so you may need expensive repairs. Not sure if the eaton e locker is available for that model, but that would be my preferred option, if you did decide to get a locker. Also look at what tyres it has, if it has MT or mud terrain tyres it's probably had a harder life. If it has road tyres you're up for $1000 of off road tyres before you can tackle anything demanding. Might be a good idea to get in touch with a local nissan 4wd club and have a chat, most of them just love to yarn about bloody 4wd's. I like them too, but see them as a tool, not a passion.

Hi BB,
You don't mention which engine fitted?
Anything other than the 4.2L diesel I'd pass.
I had a 2002 Coilcab with non turboed 4.2L bought new until I retired in 2008, then had a 6.5T Chevy diesel fitted to tow caravan more economically. Sold the 4.2L engine for $6000.00.
My brother bought a 2002 wagon with the 2.8 engine that blew.
He then bought a 3.0L after two blown turbos he sold that one and has reverted to a Harley.

The units that Im looking at have the 4cl 3.0l turbo diesel engines ZD30DETI, diesel.

If I could find a 4.2l one I would buy it but they are like rocking horse shit. :p

Its also , if you buy a 12 to 14 year old vehicle you spin the dice with how it is going to go. That is what Im factoring in to the equation. I' m now in a position that I do have a few $ back up if any problems do arise

Im not a hoon driver and am just after a vehicle that will get me from a to be to c to ....z without to many problems and allow me to see a bit of our country

Hi Bob, Mate if the 2002 is a fair buy,its the way I would go. Then I would put Bilstein shocks for front, add a 12000lb winch, buy 2 sets maxtracs, dual battery's and be on my way. Front and rear locks guess it's done some serious 4wdriving. If ya can afford it later on I would put a Eaton e locker on the rear.

I have a 2009 Ford ranger which goes into the mechanic shop January for a
2" suspension lift
E locker
Winch
Dual battery's
Snorkel
Spotlights

All up 8k, but with this done I feel safer in the bush, as most times I am on my own, and if stuck or bogged, have given myself a good chance of getting out.

A rear E locker is worth it,remember a LSD is exactly that limited.

Good luck on ya choice.

Polky

Go a HDJ100 Toyota Landcruiser much better engine than any Patrol and its a Factory 4.2L diesel Turbo that is bullet proof and anyone can work on them
Careful with Rangers if you do your own oil changes , do not drain them overnight as the oil pump will drain with it and when you go to start it again the pump will not prime , big job after that

M

Polky, the Ranger LSD and Toyota's for that matter are a total waste of time after 30,000 km, they just simply wear out.
Great idea putting a locker on the Ranger though due to the small wheel travel they cross axel easily and lose all traction, (biggest problem they have)
I'm told that the Nissan one actually lasts very well and works way better than the others, many Nissan drivers put in a front locker only for that reason.

Marty, that's right on the Ranger oil, but only for the PX onwards, PJ,PK are fine to drain longer.
I think the PX onwards has to be done within 10 min from memory.

Balmain it really would be good to join a Nissan forum or talk to a local club that can give specific info.
Do a search on patrol hand grenade, there are things to rectify it, but it's up to you.
Here is an example.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12429-GU-3-litre-quot-hand-grenade-quot-engine

Hi Bob,

It would be a wise move to stay away from the nissan patrol 3.0 litre grenades. The 4.2 is a great motor and the gearbox, transfer and diffs are tough as any you can get. In the old days the cars used to have a lot more clearance than even our modern 4wd's and ran on skinny tyres. They didn't need 4wd back then because they knew how to drive rather than relie on horsepower and after market accessories. 8)

Cheers

Doug

Thanks for the replies . There is a lot to think about.

Ive found a 4.2 turbo diesel 1998 one on the internet for $17k that Im going to seriously think about.

Its a bit more that I wanted to spend but in the long run it probably be worth spending the extra now

and not having to worry about any problems latter.

I intend to go off on an open ended trip exploring Australia next year so Im looking for the most reliable vehicle

that I can afford. Im not planing to leave until around the end of April so i have a lot of time to find the right 4WD.

Bob

I'm into my third Patrol now so can personally vouch for them. They are a great touring vehicle and ideal for what you're planning - you really don't need any major mods for what you're intending, a small lift with quality shocks and springs, good tyres, snorkel - there's not many places it won't take you. Personally I'd be looking at trying to find a stock standard unit, rather than something heavily modified. It'll be cheaper, heaps less wear and tear and half the fun is slowly turning it into exactly the type of tourer you want. Good, low kay mum taxi's are out there, just keep looking.

Good lluck

Nightjar said:
Hi BB,
You don't mention which engine fitted?
Anything other than the 4.2L diesel I'd pass.
I had a 2002 Coilcab with non turboed 4.2L bought new until I retired in 2008, then had a 6.5T Chevy diesel fitted to tow caravan more economically. Sold the 4.2L engine for $6000.00.
My brother bought a 2002 wagon with the 2.8 engine that blew.
He then bought a 3.0L after two blown turbos he sold that one and has reverted to a Harley.

Yep can agree with this...the 2.8TD's are garbage. Helped rebuild one after it became impossibly gutless...new pistons (factory ones are slightly oval so had block machined to suit new round ones), new rings etc. Always had Penrite oil changes done on time...after rebuild it was better at first but got gutless again aftee maybe 10,000k's not even.
Don't waste your time with 'em.
4.2 TD's are rarer but Iv'e heard good things and might be worth the search. ;)

Balmain, just curious how did you come to the Patrol?
Did you specifically want a wagon?
Have you considered twin cab utes with a canopy?
Is fuel consumption going to be important?
Is it going to be your daily drive? If so how many KM will you be doing?
When you do travel around Oz, how hardcore do you want to go?

Have you considered the Prado?
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...tssaleid=SSE-AD-4431704&rankingType=Spotlight

Not quite as capable as the Patrol or the Land cruiser but still very capable, with the independent front end they drive nicer on the road.
So you need to ask yourself do you want a vehicle for 4wd'ing mainly or a vehicle that can do 4wd for you sometimes, but a nicer road car.

When I hit the road for the trip I will literally be homeless as I will be placing all my stuff into storage until I decide on where I want to settle down when Im had enough of travelling The Patrol will allow for a lot more storage on the trip as the back seat area will be utilized as long term storage. If Im up in Qld the cool/ cold weather gear will be stored in the back seat area along with any other junk that i accumulate while travelling.

As I dont know where Im going to travel to as yet I wanted a vehicle that will take me to just about anywhere. I do intend to hit as many gold fields and gem sites as I can find.

I also like the style of the Patrol. Too me the Prado looks like is been tarted up to appeal to the mums to drive the little bastards to school in and do the shopping not something to be taken off road.

I did consider the twin cabs but as I have said I think that the Patrol will give me more storage. I am also intending to tow a camper so that will help a bit with extra storage.

With regards to fuel economy. My current drive, VY Commodore Wagon is only getting 16l / 100km around the city and about 11l / 100km on the highway.
Once I stop travelling it will be the daily drive but as Im planing to live in a small fishing village up the mid north coast of NSW I wont be travelling very far. only to the boat ramp and the shops and the occasional trip into Port Maquarie .

Latest posts