You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

davent
12 December 2016 08:34 am

.....waiting....

Ridge Runner
12 December 2016 09:12 am

davent wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of the claims made, and from what I've read, getting used to the GB/ bias might be an initial hurdle.
But let's say its performance in hot ground is as good as a 4500. Then it will be an absolute winner, just on swinging all day , there is a question about the battery pack somewhere. I'm sure at the price its selling for, it won't seem its possible to.be as good as ML machines, but I'm gonna give one a go anyway.
Come in spinner!

Sounds good Dave, even if it can match the SD/GP series then it is still going to be a force to be reckoned with. So anything from there up is a Bonus.

John.

Dig em all,

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
12 December 2016 11:35 am

The last video I saw was from a couple years ago. Sounded quite similar to a TDI from memory. Hoping they've managed go improve the S:N since then as it seemed to be pinging off a bit. Has there been anything more recent posted up?

Last edited by PhaseTech (12 December 2016 11:36 am)

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

mbasko
12 December 2016 12:28 pm

The only ones I can find all seem to be from around 2011? None of them are very long vids & don't give much away.
In one demonstrating it pick up a large, deep test nugget to me it sounds the same when it's swung over the ground when he moves away. It all sounded like ground noise IMO & wasn't conclusive?

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1 user likes this post: Araratgold

grubstake
12 December 2016 01:43 pm

I'm not particularly wishing to be the devil's advocate here, but apart from the novelty value, I'm puzzled by the amount of interest in a machine that's based on such old and underdeveloped technology. According to the blurb on the GoldSearch website, the QED is a "single channel design", so right away it's clear that there'll be a nugget-losing gap in sensitivity depending on where the ground balance is set, ground penetration will be unpredictably variable and the machine will have inherent insensitivity to rough-surfaced nuggets, porous gold, specimens, etc. The claimed "Superb EMI immunity allowing higher gains to be used", simply means that the machine is relatively insensitive. Potential QED users might as well buy one of the existing Whites TDI/SL/SSP models, if they're happy to walk over gold all the time!

There's a reason Minelab put so much effort into R&D over the last 20+ years and erected a formidable wall of patents to protect the intellectual property that they'd developed. Their technological advances such as Multi Period Sensing (MPS), Dual Voltage Technology (DVT) and Smart Electronic Timing Alignment (SETA) aren't available elsewhere and are key to successfully finding the widest variety of gold types, sizes and depths amongst red clay, hot rocks and charcoal, in often highly mineralised and/or variable ground, hurdles at which all other pulse induction machines have stumbled in Australia, because the outdated, relatively simple technology used isn't really up to the job in our goldfields.

Where it is, there it is.

1 user likes this post: mbasko

davent
12 December 2016 02:45 pm

Grubstake, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Obviously, Im hoping that it will give me some advantages over the minelab, while Im sure I will lose some great features of the ML.
I wouldn't suggest that the QED is going to replace my 4500, however, I am prepared to see if it can compliment it.
Like an SDC is limited by its design, I expect the QED will also be limited, however, I hope that limitation is, that it can punch deeper than a 4500, in enhance, with the gain turned down and the stabiliser cranked, if it can do that and see a nugget about the 3 gram plus side, it will fill a gap for me, with the bonus of being light and less restrictive.
ATM, as good as my 4500 is, its really restricted to dry season only, and even then, only on a good day, for part of the day, can I crank the gain and back off the stab. So all the seta,dvt,mps etc etc dont really count for much when you need to de tune it or cant use it due to conditions.

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, dazza513

Ridge Runner
12 December 2016 02:49 pm

davent wrote:

Grubstake, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Obviously, Im hoping that it will give me some advantages over the minelab, while Im sure I will lose some great features of the ML.
I wouldn't suggest that the QED is going to replace my 4500, however, I am prepared to see if it can compliment it.
Like an SDC is limited by its design, I expect the QED will also be limited, however, I hope that limitation is, that it can punch deeper than a 4500, in enhance, with the gain turned down and the stabiliser cranked, if it can do that and see a nugget about the 3 gram plus side, it will fill a gap for me, with the bonus of being light and less restrictive.
ATM, as good as my 4500 is, its really restricted to dry season only, and even then, only on a good day, for part of the day, can I crank the gain and back off the stab. So all the seta,dvt,mps etc etc dont really count for much when you need to de tune it or cant use it due to conditions.

Dave does the 45 etc not like wet ground then ?

John.

Dig em all,

davent
12 December 2016 03:04 pm

dry season=fire, fire =charcoal, wet season = wet charcoal......

Also, its just so uncomfortable dragging a battery pack and curly cord around.
Its so hard to use the 4500 to its full effect even in the dry. But I plan on doing some travel, so a 2nd detector will be handy anyway.
I see grubstakes point to, I had a TDI Pro OZ that worked well, but it didnt find gold, and that could just be I didn't walk over any, but after I got the 4500, I started to walk over some....

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, grubstake

Ridge Runner
12 December 2016 03:12 pm

davent wrote:

dry season=fire, fire =charcoal, wet season = wet charcoal......

Also, its just so uncomfortable dragging a battery pack and curly cord around.
Its so hard to use the 4500 to its full effect even in the dry. But I plan on doing some travel, so a 2nd detector will be handy anyway.
I see grubstakes point to, I had a TDI Pro OZ that worked well, but it didnt find gold, and that could just be I didn't walk over any, but after I got the 4500, I started to walk over some....

Yeah The TDI Coils are not good enough where as the new Coiltek coils seem to be good ?

It does make me wonder how the QED will work in such conditions, The wet ground must make the ground a lot more conductive as with normal electricity and that might cause the 45 issues, where as VLFs work well the day after a good rain, Makes me wonder how the Z likes the rain.

Thanks Dave.

Dig em all,

davent
12 December 2016 03:31 pm

Mate, I detect with 3 blokes who use Z,s and they all kill it.
They all had trouble to start with, but all nail it now. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.
The 45 is difficult to use in the dry as well, the ground in some places is just ridiculous, one place I know, it would be easier to use it inside my hilux!

Ridge Runner
12 December 2016 03:38 pm

davent wrote:

They all had trouble to start with, but all nail it now. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.
The 45 is difficult to use in the dry as well, the ground in some places is just ridiculous, one place I know, it would be easier to use it inside my hilux!

Yeah I thought the ZED would be the best one for the job, I did not know that about the 45 having problems with the ground, No wonder you have an interest in the QED.

Hope you get your hands on one soon then we will know for sure.

Thanks again Dave.

John.

Dig em all,

mbasko
12 December 2016 04:33 pm

davent wrote:

I had a TDI Pro OZ that worked well, but it didnt find gold, and that could just be I didn't walk over any, but after I got the 4500, I started to walk over some....

Ya musta started walking in the right direction big_smile

Last edited by mbasko (12 December 2016 04:35 pm)

Teemore
12 December 2016 05:25 pm

davent wrote:

I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.

Think a few others, me included, would get 1 if we had the $$$$'s to spare.
Peed off I didn't take more notice when the unit was on show but feel sure that if it's half as good as claimed it will most likely be a winner ...... AT THAT PRICE.
Can't recommend or bag it at this stage, just have to wait for some test results to come in.
Also good to see someone independent having a try
Cheers T.

If you don't stand for something ..... You'll fall for anything !!
To be old and wise you must first be young and foolish.

Smoky bandit
12 December 2016 05:29 pm

davent wrote:

Just wait 12 months mate...then they'll be 5k big_smile yikes

No pain No gain..

Ridge Runner
12 December 2016 05:33 pm

Teemore wrote:
davent wrote:

I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.

Think a few others, me included, would get 1 if we had the $$$$'s to spare.
Peed off I didn't take more notice when the unit was on show but feel sure that if it's half as good as claimed it will most likely be a winner ...... AT THAT PRICE.
Can't recommend or bag it at this stage, just have to wait for some test results to come in.
Also good to see someone independent having a try
Cheers T.

As good as it is I think I would be having Guilt trips about it,, I like the 45 and the 5k but I must admit the Z price tag is a whole new ball game,,,

I am having troubles when I think what I spent on my last Guitar,, But I can justify a 45 or 5k and be good with that.

Dig em all,

1 user likes this post: grubstake

davent
14 December 2016 05:06 pm

OK, I'm starting to worry now.
Power source has just been changed to as batteries on top the box, only giving about 4 hours run time. This does not impress me.

mbasko
14 December 2016 06:41 pm

The QED manual (draft?):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … manual.pdf
Haven't had a chance to read it yet.
Edit: I can see why the manual is a "draft" now - "Specificatons and features are subject to change upon release".
The battery might not be the only change prior to the release proper?
An external AA battery pack hmm - yuk!!

Last edited by mbasko (14 December 2016 07:37 pm)

Tathradj
14 December 2016 07:54 pm

Sling a 10000ma 7.5 v lipo battery in there some where nice and neat. smile
If this machine is as good as it seems,
It would not worry me. cool

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

Araratgold
14 December 2016 10:09 pm

davent wrote:

OK, I'm starting to worry now.
Power source has just been changed to as batteries on top the box, only giving about 4 hours run time. This does not impress me.

The circus that is the " crumpet on a stick " seems to be never ending !
It has been released for sale " available soon " according to the Goldsearch site.
But now there has been a change of plan re the powering of said " crumpet on a stick " because lithium ion batteries are not safe ?
Not quite sure how Minelab and laptop companies manage to safely send tens of thousands of Li ion battery packs all over the world ???
Bugger me, you'd think that would have been sorted before release !
And the saga continues.

EDIT :
Just had a quick read through the manual : Considering Howard claims that Minelab's detectors are hard to understand / operate, this one sure looks hard to understand. Mode reminds me of the Goldscan 5C that I had, which was a crap detector !

Rick

Last edited by Araratgold (14 December 2016 10:17 pm)

3 users like this post: grubstake, mbasko, Heatho

mbasko
15 December 2016 05:18 am

See a couple have questioned the "test comparisons" too - not that air tests mean much if anything in real world situations. Seems one machine tested well below what others are getting. The responders have been very polite about it without ranting etc. but it makes you wonder how accurate the rest is?
To me it only seems as good as they are saying it is (developer/s & hangers on) & we still aren't getting the independent feedback needed. Any criticism, even polite & constructive, looks to be skipped over or referred to the dealer? I hope this thing doesn't come back to bite Goldsearch Australia if it does go bad. 8 years plus & still subject to specification + feature changes on release? All appears unprofessional & unorganised to me.
Wonder what the real issue with the batteries is? Lithium Ion is relatively safe, widely used & shipped internationally so I can't see how they are an issue. He's pretty adamant that if you choose to use anything barring the NIHM rechargeable AA's it will be at your own risk.

4 users like this post: Heatho, grubstake, Tathradj, Araratgold

Tathradj
15 December 2016 08:20 am

If the right charger was supplied with a unique connector, I would
not be worried what type of Batteries it used.
Agreed mbasko.
If you truly want to test a product, Put it out there for a while.
Some one will soon find a way of breaking it.

1 user likes this post: grubstake

grubstake
15 December 2016 08:34 am

Araratgold wrote:

Just had a quick read through the manual : Considering Howard claims that Minelab's detectors are hard to understand / operate, this one sure looks hard to understand. Mode reminds me of the Goldscan 5C that I had, which was a crap detector ! Rick

Thank you - I thought it was just me and my fading faculties! lol I can't remember when I've read any manual that says so little but in such a confusing way; it's quite an achievement, actually.

Where it is, there it is.

2 users like this post: Heatho, davent

davent
15 December 2016 02:18 pm

Hmmmmm , what does it mean balance beam? Lol

Hope I can work out how to ground balance it, and really hope I'm wandering around out bush with some duct tape holding my batteries on....

1 user likes this post: Tathradj

Norvic
15 December 2016 08:23 pm

You can say that again, sorry I couldn`t resist.

GPZ7000 Z19"Coil SDC2300 XP Deus Whites TRX CTX3030 Monster

2 users like this post: havenacrack, grubstake

Tathradj
15 December 2016 09:54 pm

Fixed. smile smile

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site