Panning V's Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day All,
so here it is, do I fork out many thousands of $$$ to go Detecting or stick to , what I reckon, is good old reliable alluvial panning???
Have not had a Gold Free Day yet with panning/sluicing; however have been told by detectors, days or weeks can go by digging up nails, shotgun pellets but no G.O.L.D.
Thoughts & Advice welcome
Mountain man ;)

My advice stick to Panning/Sluicing and if you want to detect do beaches etc etc if you only have a few hours to fill in
if you are like me when i go out i like to come back with something (blond 175cm nice figure) sorry got distracted yes detecting on the beach is fun BUT if you get gold every time you go out then stick to that
just my opinion

Ahhh, that's easy to answer, just borrow or rent one for a day and see if you like it.
The small amount I have spent on alluvial stuff I consider hobby money.
But Detectors are serious dollars................ That decision is yours only.

As above hire one first or depending where you are put a shout out to meet up with someone close by to go out for a day.
Personally I prefer detecting & consider the money spent as still pretty cheap in comparison to other hobbies.

I've always been a fan of alluvial prospecting, but I've only been detecting once, and that was with Trent (Diggerdude) who used to be a member here. I suppose if I had found a bit I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about it.

A day on the end of a shovel feeding the sluice is pretty hard work, and that is a consideration, too.

Hi Mountain Man. I panned for many years as a kid (we had gold on our property and all around at Tumbarumba). I have been detecting now for many years and only go sluicing panning when my detector finds gold that indicates panning is worthwhile.

I would never go back to sluicing/panning because the amount of gold found with a detector usually exceeds 30 ounces a year for me now.

To answer your question, if you have only limited time to fossick stick with what you know.

If on the other hand you decide you want to devote say 50 days or more a year detecting for gold and you have the will and dedication to research spots, work hard at getting to know your detector and to seek out experienced people to help/advise you at the start...and you have a strong desire to find a reasonable amount of gold and go in the draw for a slim chance at finding a lot of gold.....then consider detecting.

Many people spend $4000- $10000 on a detector/pick/extra coil etc and never find much gold. Becoming a student of detecting and gold research and spending plenty of time with the coil on the ground are critical to success. (or spend the money, be a hobbyist, detect occasionally and find a few nuggets and be happy)

If you think the above criteria fits you and you have the detecting time available, and you do decide to take the plunge, buy a minelab 4500 as a minimum and go for it. A SDC will get you plenty of small gold but won't get you large amounts of gold because the coil is small and does not cover enough ground. You can buy cheaper detectors or say a Minelab 2200 and they will find gold but I would strongly recommend starting at nothing less then a 4500.

That's my take on it. A little strong I know. Hiring or going out with friends with detectors may also be a first step.
Also consider that if you do take the plunge and it does not work out, or is not for you...you can sell the detector without taking a major financial loss.
Cheers RDD.

I now do both.
Bit hard running out a Kilometer of hose and Banker up a hill. LOL
If one does not work, I have another to fall back on.
When I walk into an area and have a read of what was going on, I can either run the banker for a day or go higher
with the detector.
I have not produced any Gold as yet with my 4500 but I know the day will come soon.
Having the best of both worlds makes me a very happy chappy.
All I have to do now is make more time for it. LOL
It took me 12 months to save for my 4500 and all I did for 2 extra coils was wait for the right " Bargain"" to
come along.
In reality, It does not matter on what or how you do it.
Just get out there and enjoy the bush for what it can offer. :D :D

I think RDD hits it pretty well.

I'm with Tath I like both because its a hobby. I originally took it up because I only carried a trout rod and realised a pan and a detector (dads old xterra 70) would give me something else to do if the fish weren't biting. All of a sudden I was forgetting to bring the rod!

I often come back from my high-banking weekends away, needing a weekend away to recover from shovel injuries, sun stroke and the like. But I love it....the outdoors it doesn't get much better.

When I got my GPX4500 it did change me a little, ive definitely done less panning/high-banking.

There are too many variables but I love having all my gold tools so my vote is to get the detector, and get a decent one.

Junk targets are sometimes really disheartening and can almost drive you to insanity, but other times digging up nails is telling me I'm walking over virgin ground. You can see the negative or the positive, that's up to you.

What I have noticed is there is a transition stage with detectorists once they find a few pieces, they get much better at it and the gold comes a lot quicker. Once you hit that level there's no turning back and the pan stays in the back of the van! These guys are getting bits almost every time they are out....in the same spots people are going "weeks without gold" if that makes sense.

Can depend on a lot of things not least the type of person you are. I prefer the digging but it can be a bit rough on you at times physically, mostly because I like to have a bit of a chin wag and the odds are always pretty good at taking something home. Detecting can be a bit of a solo pursuit at times and is more man and machine. That said I love getting out on the coins and don't usually go two up doing it, so I go back and forth between both worlds. Chasing colours is certainly less expensive which can influence the decision for others too.

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Mountain Man. I panned for many years as a kid (we had gold on our property and all around at Tumbarumba). I have been detecting now for many years and only go sluicing panning when my detector finds gold that indicates panning is worthwhile.

I would never go back to sluicing/panning because the amount of gold found with a detector usually exceeds 30 ounces a year for me now.

To answer your question, if you have only limited time to fossick stick with what you know.

If on the other hand you decide you want to devote say 50 days or more a year detecting for gold and you have the will and dedication to research spots, work hard at getting to know your detector and to seek out experienced people to help/advise you at the start...and you have a strong desire to find a reasonable amount of gold and go in the draw for a slim chance at finding a lot of gold.....then consider detecting.

Many people spend $4000- $10000 on a detector/pick/extra coil etc and never find much gold. Becoming a student of detecting and gold research and spending plenty of time with the coil on the ground are critical to success. (or spend the money, be a hobbyist, detect occasionally and find a few nuggets and be happy)

If you think the above criteria fits you and you have the detecting time available, and you do decide to take the plunge, buy a minelab 4500 as a minimum and go for it. A SDC will get you plenty of small gold but won't get you large amounts of gold because the coil is small and does not cover enough ground. You can buy cheaper detectors or say a Minelab 2200 and they will find gold but I would strongly recommend starting at nothing less then a 4500.

That's my take on it. A little strong I know. Hiring or going out with friends with detectors may also be a first step.
Also consider that if you do take the plunge and it does not work out, or is not for you...you can sell the detector without taking a major financial loss.
Cheers RDD.

Agree 100%.

I love detecting like I love fishing, the thrill of the chase and that chance at a once in 10 lifetimes nugget.
But on the other hand I love high banking and panning because I do it with my family and mates and it's more social, plus bulk fines in a pan are hypnotic to me, I love it!
I've had most detectors from GPX5000's to SDC and now the Zed but the SDC was amazing for getting those few bits every day and don't forget using it to find those rich gold pockets in bedrock to pan! We've done very well cleaning crevices that have been given away by a single shotty pallet.
All the best.

AS someone who used to detect and now only pans or sluices for about 3 months of the yr, feb to the end of april. I would say with detecting, to be sucessful you need to be able to put in the time on the ground. This means being able to get to goldfields that have a history of coarse gold in shallow ground and being able to concentrate for at least 8hrs a day. (I know a lot of detectorists that simply dont put in enough hrs due to lack of drive or cant concentrate for long or cant be bothered digging in a area that has produced a few junk targets.) I sold my SD2200 after an unsucessful trip to tarnagulla were I didnt dig a deep target for whole week, dug plenty of junk but not one decent down in the gravel type target. I decided to concentrate on sluicing panning & crevising in the creeks closer to home.
When it gets too cold in the creek I start looking around for old quartz workings and sample the left overs.

To each his own, do what you like best (or can afford), it's a great hobby and has resulted in my meeting many like minded people who are now good friends.I do a bit of both and being retired I've got time to do as I wish, on most occasions, when I wish.
To be successful at detecting it really helps if you can also pan and "loam" an area, if it looks promising detect it and if that doesn't give results go back and sluice or dry wash the area.
Good results with the detector than go back when the patch dries out and again pan/sluice or dry wash the area (really depends on water availability) ......
At the end of the day just enjoy it.
Cheers Tom.

Wow, Thanks to all.
A few things to consider then.
I do get pretty sore & weary after a few hours of sluicing/panning. Combining detecting with sluicing sounds like a pretty good way of breaking the day up, particularly as Summer this season is predicted to be a scorcher.
I'm around the Bathurst area, is there somewhere I can rent a detector to have a trial??
I find enough gold to save for a detector in about 6 months & with) visit minelab then.
Again, thanks to all for your input & interesting stories/comments.
Mountainman ;)

Jeez, if you can find enough gold in 6 months to buy a 4500 I'd stick with what you are doing.
But that's probably my jealousy talking.

Thx occasional planner. Yeah, have a great spot in NSW, produces really well as long as the effort is put in.
Mountainman ;)

Latest posts