rock l found?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1480486607_win_20161130_17_00_15_pro.jpg
I found this rock while out panning. I don't know what type rock it is maybe volcanic, but lm only guessing. Anyone know...
1480486374_win_20161130_17_00_24_pro.jpg
1480486523_wp_20161127_001.jpg

Nice spot there LGH :)

Hmm - is the black stuff a little bit soft so you can put a little dent in it with a stick or is it really rock hard?

It does remind me of something a little bit volcanic-looking.

The first photo looks slightly like andesite (volcanic), but in the second photo the rock almost seems to have a fusion crust (like some meteorites have). But as blisters said it could just be a bit of slag.

An interesting find though.

In the Glen Innes area I have come across the tumbled remains of basalt pieces that had contacted ancient river gravels when they flowed across the land. Rocks eroded away from those contact zones looked similar to the rock in the picture.

I was in a hurry at the time I posted but the reason I was saying it looks like slag is it has gas bubbles so it was hot when formed, it's got that real shiny look to it and it looks like it has contacted gravel (quartz?) when molten looking. It also has a sort of fanned look to the matrix. The suggestions on here are a good start but ultimately it is you who beholdeth the rock. Can you see if any descriptions of basalt/slag etc. fit with what you have? It probably will come down to any fine crystal structure in the matrix so you'll need a magnifier.
Jon

Hi lefty no the rock is very hard and know I could not dent it with a stick but it is very light Thanks . AtomRat hi no it is not magnetic no part of it thanks for your input .hi Martin no bushfires that I know of thanks. hi silver no not bitumen way way out bush only dirt roads. Hi all it has little air bubble holes in some places on it . Thanks for all your helpful information and I will keep looking thanks again lgh

Gee LGH you come up with some classic Rocks to ID.... :lol: something interesting that's for sure... ;) Your Garden must be looking goood now :)

LoneWolf....