Florin Collection.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Florin collectors may find these examples interesting, recently going through some draws at my parents house and found an old coin collection; the pile of florins caught my eye straight away.
1480381166_20161129_114145.jpg

The top left florin does not have a date on it, front or back, its condition is quite good and any date should be plainly visible, a bit of a mystery to me at this stage.
Cheers, Sinhof.

SinHof said:
Florin collectors may find these examples interesting, recently going through some draws at my parents house and found an old coin collection; the pile of florins caught my eye straight away.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1480381166_20161129_114145.jpg
The top left florin does not have a date on it, front or back, its condition is quite good and any date should be plainly visible, a bit of a mystery to me at this stage.
Cheers, Sinhof.
1480386590_image.jpg
1480386634_image.jpg

Is this the same coin Sinhof?If so I think the date is the lettering to the right of Victoria's head.I don't know how to post a link but if you can post a photo of the other side of the coin I might be able to date it.

Hi Eldorado,
Many thanks for the info.
1480389043_20161129_135859.jpg

The front of the florin is identical to the one in your post, unfortunately the back has some of the higher areas worn off and it's impossible to see if the hair style is the same, the lettering is the same though, I think it would be a fair bet to say both examples are the same coin.
Cheers, SinHof.

You're welcome Sinhof.Your florin was made in 1879 and there was 1,512,247 minted.The photo I posted is of a 1877.

That was quick Eldorado and again, many thanks for the information, I'm not at all up to speed with pre decimal coins, particularly the very old ones, I was aware of the coin collection at home from when I was a kid and its only recently that they came to light, some interesting examples among them.
Cheers, SinHof.

Great looking Florins SinHof!
Eldorado, interesting how they used Roman Numerals for the dates back then. When did that stop?
Would love to find one of those!

The gothic florin is a beauty Sinhof, only the florin and crown were ever released with the gothic script and the crowned Queen Victoria - quite rare coins, especially if found via detecting.

Can't say that I've ever seen a detected example of the 1903 English florin, better get to it Rocket. ;)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments, they are an interesting bunch of florins of which I have multiple examples of many of them, particularly the 1927 coins.
Cheers, SinHof.
PS; Will do some more images and post them up later on in the week.

Go through more drawers SinHof, that's all I can say ,... ripper drawer find, that's for sure !
8) :eek: :p :cool: millions :D

Latest posts