Hi from Adelaide, South Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day all. Sam here from Adelaide. New to prospecting and metal detectors. I have had an old 2001 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for ages that has only found me junk and some loose change on the beach.

I recently built a small stream sluice and a small 12v recirculating sluice box. I have found small quantities of fine gold at various locations around SA. It's the bigger gold that has me excited.

I splurged and bought a Minelab SDC2300 the other week. First trip out to Jupiter Creek(a very well gone over area) scored me a small piece of gold lodged in a rock after many small lead shot and other junk. Pretty happy with how the detector performs and it's ease of use.

1480216636_image.jpg

Tried Mt Crawford yesterday, only found junk but had a ball. A huge area, just where to start??

Happy to take advice and tips from anyone and look forward to meeting any other like minded people.

Anyone who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes at Jupiter Creek, Euchunga and Mt Crawford one day would be a friend for life, haha. Also would love to get over to Victoria soon to try my luck, but wouldn't know where to start.

See you out there in Gold land

Sam

Wishfull said:
Good job Sam. What did it weigh in at and how deep? You gotta love the SDC.

Was lodged in a rock on the surface.

Don't have scales to weigh it. Must get some :)

G'day Sam

Welcome to PA and a great start with the SDC plenty of people still looking for their first bit after many outings .

Cheers

Bacchus said:
G'day Sam

Welcome to PA and a great start with the SDC plenty of people still looking for their first bit after many outings .

Cheers

Thanks Bacchus, nice nugs in your Avatar. Victorian gold?

G'day Sam

Some Vic but mostly SA gold ( gotta love a zoom lens though ) was talking about a sausage sizzle breakfast one day with another forum member at JC , if it gets off the ground will sling you a Message if interested.

Cheers

Bacchus said:
G'day Sam

Some Vic but mostly SA gold ( gotta love a zoom lens though ) was talking about a sausage sizzle breakfast one day with another forum member at JC , if it gets off the ground will sling you a Message if interested.

Cheers

Sounds good, will need to be on a weekend

No luck on Saturday at Jupiter Creek. Plenty of lead shot! :(

Might try Mount Crawford Forest again this weekend.

Any hints on some good spots to try? No restrictions on roads in there at the moment, just a few trees fallen here and there.

I have heard that the slopes either side of Range Road can be good.

Anyone with hints and tips can PM me, put me on the gold and I can pay back the favour with trips to some areas around our Goldfields that are restricted access, ie no public allowed ;)

Spend pretty much all day at Crawford yesterday. Tried a few different areas, but could not find any gold.

Lots of junk, lead shot, wire, etc.

I did find a 1949 Threepence in great condition, wonder if an old logger dropped his pay.

Sam

Hi Samrota
I hale from Adelaide but now live in QLD.
I have spent a lot of time in the Jupiters creek, Echunga, Onkaparinga, Torrens and Mount Compass ( upper Finniss River ).
Every time i have gone out i have got gold.
I am happy to put you on the gold in these spots as i no longer need to keep them to my self.
I am in Adelaide from the 3rd - 12 of Jan 2017 and plan to go for a prospect and u r welcome to tag along. I am thinking of the Onkaparinga as i get my best gold there.
Drop me a post if interested

Hillbillygold

Getting to know the SDC. 6 pieces of gold so far.

I must have it set for small gold only, haha. Cos that's all i seem to find, tiny pieces that others have missed.

The last 3 trips to Crawford i have found colour. Biggest one to date weighs 0.2g

1487974625_image.jpg

Sorry for the bad iPad photo :)

Latest posts