2inch suspension.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi fellas, want to put a lift on Ford ranger. Has anyone had lifts done, any recommendations. Ome, arb, tough dog.

Thanks Polly.

All goes on are you looking for a kit or a company to fit it?
Used to fit a lot of tough dog shocks to variety club bash cars and they are tough s#$t
Seen a lot of leading brands torn to shreds

I got dobbinsons springs and oldman emu shocks. But mines a land Rover not sure what setup the ford rangers have.

1479963338_fb_img_1479963300522.jpg

For the Ranger mate I would use bilstein front struts and rear shocks mated with eibach springs. Great combo and the eibach springs are some of the best on the market

Hey fellas thanks for all the info
Me and a mate intend to go detecting north QLD area for 4 weeks July
next year. We hope to get onto some properties, and go to the hard to get
places, get of the grid. Will have 2 Z's, 4500 and sdc.

Vehicles will be hilux and Ford ranger,mate already has all the aftermarket gear.
I am getting rear elocker, 2" lift, winch,snorkel,dual battery's and good spotlights.
Both vehicles have UHF radios,have all safety gear.

Will also have 2 dirt bikes and maybe a 4 wd quad bike.

So any info on vehicle up grade experiences, and info on may town,palmer and
other areas will be great.

Also looking at the Georgetown/Forthsyte area.

Just trying to get of the grid and get to new areas with the possibility of finding
colour. Will pm Lee for his thoughts as he has a fair bit of knowledge of the NQ area.

Thanks again. Polky

Hey when you get it done, don't fit junk parts you'll regret it later when your stuck in the bush with a busted spring
Confucius says Tight wad that owns car will walk a long way :lol: :lol: :lol:

As b5mech said don't be a tight a$$. Treat it to a stainless snorkel. Go led light bars and don't skimp on the wiring.being you want to go fairly remote I would look at fitting a ctec with solar input just to keep some charge in the batteries.

A lot of people on this site will argue what I am going to say . U DO NEED a very reliable 4x4 with good suspension to prospect in n w qld but if u think that will let u to go thru the real remote areas not so . I work and prospect for a remote drilling company and we run about 9 Land Cruisers plus 2 Nissans . The drillers give em a fair flogging and we rebuild the suspension on most of them every 12 months . Years ago we spent a lot of money on 3 of them and upgraded the suspension . Got bugger all extra life out of them , waste of money . The right way to solve the problem was to offer the drillers extra time to get to drill sites with financial benifets to lo8k after the 4xs . We now only rebuild them every 18 months which saves the boss heaps . U should not be risking damage to u 4x4 at any time whether its suspension or more common , rollover , loose control and and smash it , mechanicap problems , brocken axels ,, hit a roo , camel , cow , tree .
We have a tilt tray at every camp to pick up our wrecks to get them back to Cloncurry for repairs
Next time u are far nw qld in a town like Cloncurry or Isa have a look at the cattle station 4x4 s and they pretty standard . Look at the 4x4 that have a drilling sticker or mining comp .sticker on them and they probably pretty standard cos toyota and nissan are very solid anyway . Dont spend hundreds of dollars on suspension , engage u brain .

polky said:
Hey fellas thanks for all the info
Me and a mate intend to go detecting north QLD area for 4 weeks July
next year. We hope to get onto some properties, and go to the hard to get
places, get of the grid. Will have 2 Z's, 4500 and sdc.

Vehicles will be hilux and Ford ranger,mate already has all the aftermarket gear.
I am getting rear elocker, 2" lift, winch,snorkel,dual battery's and good spotlights.
Both vehicles have UHF radios,have all safety gear.

Will also have 2 dirt bikes and maybe a 4 wd quad bike.

So any info on vehicle up grade experiences, and info on may town,palmer and
other areas will be great.

Also looking at the Georgetown/Forthsyte area.

Just trying to get of the grid and get to new areas with the possibility of finding
colour. Will pm Lee for his thoughts as he has a fair bit of knowledge of the NQ area.

Thanks again. Polky

Any reliable 4B should get you to where you wish to go. If your travelling with two vehicles as long as one vehicle has a winch then that should bail you out in the event of an extreme situation. Dobinson suspension best bang for your buck (after all your not building a competition buggy) As has been mentioned good lighting is a must and a light bar again as mentioned better than driving lights as they tend to throw a better light and don't "shadow" the ground as much which tends to hide the depth of holes and ruts etc. Also fit a good flood light at rear of vehicle as most vehicles standard reverse lights don't aid much when reversing in thick scrub at night and this can also double as a good light to set up camp with if need be. Have actually just fitted a couple of small light bars to my quad for the exact reasons as above.
Quad will probably serve you better than bikes as you can carry more gear and unless your a champion trials rider will also get you places you won't get on a bike. Also less chance of folding the shaft on your Z in the event of a fall from the bike which in some of the steep terrains covered with loose rocks very easy to do. One fall with the result being a smashed Z could cost you more that a brand new quad would :rolleyes:
Have been down some hills around Georgetown for example that I had to put my feet up on the front rack to stop from going over the bars .................. would have been fun on two wheels loaded with gear if not impossible :rolleyes:
Enjoy the trip

Never ever drive in remote bush at night unless u need medical attention . Make a camp have a beer and relax . Drive u risk hitting a animal from roo pig camal cow etc that ll follow the cleared tracks after the sub gone down . I know u have sponors on this site that supply 4x4 lighs etc but dont drive at night in deep bush . On every camp the drillers , geos , fieldeis will find a hill within 40 k that if u drive up the top u can get reception and we all like to talk to our loved ones at home ,. The ammount of dammage done to the vehicles is testemont to the fact that most desert animals forriage at night
IF U MUST drive at night by all means have the best lights u can

Bogger said:
I can see I probably should have been a bit more specific Old Fred .................... my bad :rolleyes: the tracks I'm talking about your probably limited to 15K an hour if that tops due to the terrain not hammering down the Southern Bypass at 120 clicks :lol:

Old Fred said:
Bogger said:
I can see I probably should have been a bit more specific Old Fred .................... my bad :rolleyes: the tracks I'm talking about your probably limited to 15K an hour if that tops due to the terrain not hammering down the Southern Bypass at 120 clicks :lol:
Not much gold on the Southern Bypass

Old Fred said:
A lot of people on this site will argue what I am going to say . U DO NEED a very reliable 4x4 with good suspension to prospect in n w qld but if u think that will let u to go thru the real remote areas not so . I work and prospect for a remote drilling company and we run about 9 Land Cruisers plus 2 Nissans . The drillers give em a fair flogging and we rebuild the suspension on most of them every 12 months . Years ago we spent a lot of money on 3 of them and upgraded the suspension . Got bugger all extra life out of them , waste of money . The right way to solve the problem was to offer the drillers extra time to get to drill sites with financial benifets to lo8k after the 4xs . We now only rebuild them every 18 months which saves the boss heaps . U should not be risking damage to u 4x4 at any time whether its suspension or more common , rollover , loose control and and smash it , mechanicap problems , brocken axels ,, hit a roo , camel , cow , tree .
We have a tilt tray at every camp to pick up our wrecks to get them back to Cloncurry for repairs
Next time u are far nw qld in a town like Cloncurry or Isa have a look at the cattle station 4x4 s and they pretty standard . Look at the 4x4 that have a drilling sticker or mining comp .sticker on them and they probably pretty standard cos toyota and nissan are very solid anyway . Dont spend hundreds of dollars on suspension , engage u brain .
Forgot to mention the mzin prob ,Tyers Each ute has 2 spares and can do them in 2 creek crossings . Whether they 5 hunndred or 100 dolars they all get sllashed by sharp rocks . Carry at least 2 spares that means u have to stay on the tracks and if u go off them make xure u got a back up veilchle with u

Old Fred said:
Old Fred said:
Forgot to mention the mzin prob ,Tyers Each ute has 2 spares and can do them in 2 creek crossings . Whether they 5 hunndred or 100 dolars they all get sllashed by sharp rocks . Carry at least 2 spares that means u have to stay on the tracks and if u go off them make xure u got a back up veilchle with u

Some good advice there Fred, using what is between your ears can save you a lot of money and heartaches.

+1 for engage the brain. Maybe even do a 4wd course. Take the chicken track if there is one. Momentum can be your best friend or worst enemy. The more extreem mods you make will only make your vehicle less reliable. Ken.

Thanks again fellas. Fred spent 25 yrs Mt Isa and the Curry, I was a fitter/welder out at Selwyn gold mine construction and maintenance. Aunty had a cattle station just pass Gunpowder. Done me trade mount Isa mines.

A lot of weekends were spent mustering on bikes or camping middle of nowhere.Fair but of time riding and camping up Gregory way.

I have a budget of 10k for the upgrades and will not be skimping on anything. Dual battery's, 2 sportiest and light bar will be fitted by my son auto sparky.

Have done quite a bit of off reading,spent 2 weeks Georgetown area, and other areas closer to CQ. Yes sometimes we have pushed out vehicles to the extreme.
A good tip with lockers nice and slow, no need to thrash the vehicle

Always have brainwaves when heading bush.

Polky

Latest posts