Over priced detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chuky boy said:
Mods please remove this if NOT appropriate. Have noticed some very expensive second hand detectors on gumtree for sale. $5000 for a GPX 4500. Id rather save up the other $2500 and get a GPZ. Sorry if this offended any other forum members trying to sell your n gumtree ATM.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kalg...minelab-gpx-4500-and-various-items/1127679679

In some cases the advertised prices are there to make a person think of going to the next level, 9 times out of ten if you turn up with hard cash on the day you will get a better deal, my first GP- 3500 was $5400.00 when I got to the shop I paid $4400.00, The advertised price does have the "OUCH" factor but going to the shop will carve you a better deal and you might get some extra bits thrown in to seal the deal.

No Dealer in his right mind is going to want to let a Customer holding Cash walk out the door,

John.

Chuky boy said:
I like your way of thinking Ridge runner. If only everyone was with the same mindset as yours. I have offered cash upfront and some people still shut me down.

I have found that it is better to go to one of the out of the way stores where they don't have a heap of people in and out, It matters less to the bigger companies because a newbie will come along some time soon or someone who is pressed for time and that is what they rely on So they know someone like that will be along anytime soon,

When I bought my first 3500 I never even asked for a discount it was all their Idea, The smaller stores will be glad of your custom and the more people know about them helps them out in the long run, Not only that the Little people deserve a helping hand, They are trying to make a living and they are helping us, I have bought all my gear from the same store for about 10 or 11 years now and If I have seen it cheaper else where I let them know and they always try to beat it or get close to it and it is in my hands within 24 hours, So the little people deserve a shot, aye.

John.

You can't blame people for trying, I reckon most people put a high price on things and will usually take the best offer. Sometimes people get attached to objects and think they are worth more than they are, I've noticed this with cars especially....

Whilst I certainly agree with you John, when it comes to the secondhand market , there is very often a different mindset.

Whether it detectors or anything else, when you go to flea markets or garage sales these days, most of what's on offer is grossly overpriced. Once upon a time, you would go to these markets and you were sure to pick up a bargain. I think people have become far to commercial and are trying to get as much out of the prospective customer as they can.

If you sit back and take a rational view of what's on offer, so many times I'm just flabbergasted at what they are offering. Many times they are selling junk under the guise of it being an antique. And when I can go the the hardware for example, and buy a brand new shovel or the like for less dollars than some bloke is asking for a piece of rust, well, I'm just getting turned off these markets. Yep, sometimes I've made a good buy, but those times are becoming rare.

Cheers
Bill

In the 80's the flea markets were fun but times change and so does peoples greed,

I am not impressed with the detecting world at present So I sent a brand new gold machine to someone who I met on the forums a few years back who is going to have a very Good Christmas hoping that it will change his luck, So he should have it in a couple of days, I would rather do that than "F" someone over, and I have seen his troubles so I hope It finds him a Whooper.

John.

Yes Phoenix,
markets are just rubbish with ridiculous price tags now. I'll pop into garage sales every now and then. I got a nice stillson plumbers wrench for $10 once and a bench drill vice for another $10, then the clown wanted $30 for some rusty allen keys.

I can kind of see your point about garage sales but having done quite a few over the years, when you put low prices on stuff the hard eyed pricks from the markets clean out all the good stuff then you see it on their market stalls the next week for twice the price. Now if i do a garage sale the prices are realistic and no knock down bargaining for the market types! I'd rather donate the stuff to the Salvos.
The more outrageous prices, especially on ebay are just "come in spinner prices" every now and then some idiot will hit the buy button.

Well Iana I take your point of view. Same thing has happened to me. But see, I was selling at a bargain garage or flea market price, and these blokes buy it and then put it back on sale at double the price. That's where it has all got outa balancee. See, there was a lot of promotion about markets and garage sales and eBay sales, and how you could make "millions". People were selling their ideas and the gullible people who needed a quid were sucked in.

And Mr. Ridge Runner, you need a real good clap on the back mate. I reckon you're a nice type of bloke, and we need a lot more of you. All power to you.

Cheers
Bill

Phoenix76 said:
And Mr. Ridge Runner, you need a real good clap on the back mate. I reckon you're a nice type of bloke, and we need a lot more of you. All power to you.

Cheers
Bill

Arrr, Sometimes all a bloke needs is a bit of a leg up,

John.

Unfortunately some people put up high prices to try and snag those that have done little or no research into the product they are purchasing. You see it all the time on ebay, examples like asking over $600 for Whites Goldmaster VSat, which is a bit crazy for a 30+ year old detector. Although there is a market for vintage detectors were top dollar can be seen on some mint or near examples.

As always, it's up the the buyer to exercise due diligence before splashing out their cash, just as you would do if purchasing a vehicle.

As a rule I don't go out of my way to bag someone asking too much. I like optimistic people.

I can't stand those that go out of their way to offer ridiculously low prices on items though and keep persisting, more often than not they are the ones asking top dollar when it's their turn to sell.
While we're on the subject advertising a price even if it's over market value is better than no price. Advertising without a price is a pet hate.

It can go both ways. Some used detector packages have thousands of dollars in extras so when you add it all up can still be a pretty good deal.
IMO opinion though they seem to sell better/quicker with just the basics at a more realistic price point & you are better off selling a lot of higher priced extras separately. Some people want all the extras but don't want to pay for them. Gearing up can be a big cost too.

I am all for folks getting a good deal, But I don't like to see people low balling people with crazy low offers, I have seen one right here on the forum, I find them offensive, In the same way that I find greedy sellers offensive. I just bought Two rare Coils for someone over in Canada, but they pay what I pay,

John.

Markets are just exercise these days, and if any bargains were there, then another stallholder wouldave grabbed it.....they check eachothers stalls before the public get in. Remember years ago, buying two old aboriginal wooden fighting sticks, for 30 bucks. Sold them on ebay for 1500, turns out they were used by canibals, in the "pacific rim" I was unemployed at the time, was a top score.

Cash is bargaining power, even on new stuff.

Chuky boy said:
Mods please remove this if NOT appropriate. Have noticed some very expensive second hand detectors on gumtree for sale. $5000 for a GPX 4500. Id rather save up the other $2500 and get a GPZ. Sorry if this offended any other forum members trying to sell your n gumtree ATM.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kalg...minelab-gpx-4500-and-various-items/1127679679

Tell im he's dreamin'...

I find that people who advertise them (in this case the GPX 4500) at those prices are often ones who bought them during their original run (2008 -2010) and paid $6000 and up for them. They either don't realise that the market has changed a lot, or they do know and refuse to let reality intrude.

Or maybe they're just hoping that the right nave (or hurried) buyer comes along and just hands over the cash (or EFT). There's no harm in trying, I guess...

Ridge Runner said:
I am all for folks getting a good deal, But I don't like to see people low balling people with crazy low offers, I have seen one right here on the forum, I find them offensive, In the same way that I find greedy sellers offensive. I just bought Two rare Coils for someone over in Canada, but they pay what I pay,

John.

I don't like low balling people, but people often do it to me when I try to sell something, and I must admit that it doesn't bother me. I just say no, or if it's really ridiculous, or if they're attitude is smug, i ignore them.

What does irk me is when some "helpful wisdom" is offered along with the low ball offer. Eg, " Mate, I'm doing you a favour - no-one else will buy it" type of crap.

I much prefer it if the person making the offer just states, "This is my offer - take it or leave it."

Hey Nuggetbuster your PM Inbox is full......

Also on topic I've always subscribed to the idea that something is worth as much as you can sell it for. Granted though, somethings you dont get cheap, even if you want to!

Chuky Boy.

Currently at Miner's Den a new 4500 is $3,650.00. It will probably only come with one coil and maybe a harness but you could purchase the coils of YOUR choice and the accessories you need and still come in under $5,000.00 and you have a brand new detector with a full warranty.

Regards Axtyr.