Background information about Minelab GPX 4500,4800 and 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am about to enter the world of gold detecting. My research so far has led me to think I am going to be in the market for a used GPX 4500, 4800 or 5000. I have read a lot of posts from members that indicate that the 4500 is a suitable machine for a starter. What I'm trying to figure out is what are the main differences between the 3 models.

Are batteries and coils interchangeable on all 3 models?

All machines appear to be old models (same model being sold now for 5 or more years) is this true?

Can someone please give me the chronology of the models and what factory upgrades have occurred and when?

I gather the new 4500 being sold today has been upgraded at some point by Minelab.

Thanks in advance for your help.

G'day Troutman as far as a chronological description of machines you mentioned from a ML perspective you'd get a comprehensive answer from ML. However there are people who will provide after market mods I don't have any knowledge to share but I'm sure others will.

Any model of machine you choose from those you mentioned will find gold, how much depends on your research and ability to operate the machine. There are many variables related to machine type, ground your working in etc. If I were you I'd be seeking a training day and ask to try these machines, don't know about the 4800 I'm sure most training operators will have access to a 4500 and 5000.

Minelab are the bench mark machine for Australian conditions. My advice buy the best machine you can afford seek some training and join a prospecting club.

Troutman said:
Can someone please give me the chronology of the models and what factory upgrades have occurred and when?
I gather the new 4500 being sold today has been upgraded at some point by Minelab.

To my knowledge, Minelab have not publicly advised any factory upgrades during the quite lengthy production runs of the 4500 and 5000, however I have noted some users here and elsewhere commenting that the newest 4500's seem to run quieter and more smoothly than older examples. This 'improvement' may just reflect a steady deterioration of older machines, with wear and tear exposure to vibration, impact, heat, dampness, dust, etc., taking their toll as usage hours mount up. Not unexpectedly, a brand-new, freshly calibrated, ex-factory machine should perform somewhat better - as a potential buyer, I'd certainly hope so!

Another factor that may also come into play is that the production life-cycle of modern electronic components is often quite brief, with new, revised, higher specification chips continually appearing, as manufacturers compete in the global marketplace. Hence, it may be the case that today's 4500s are built using currently available parts that are not identical to those that were used initially in the model's life, potentially resulting in a discernible improvement in usability, without necessarily being considered an upgrade by Minelab.

I've done quite a bit of testing of my older 4500 vs two newer ones, and could find no difference in smoothness or sensitivity using both Commander 11" mono and 14*9" Evo coils (same coils and settings for each test). Doesn't mean that other's haven't noticed differences; just means that I'm happy with my old 4500 (purchased before the 5000 release).

Thanks RM Outback I have already had a few hours of training with the GPX 5000 when I hired one for a couple of days and am thinking of doing as you suggest and joining the Townsville QLD club.

Thanks for your replies Nuggetbuster, Grubstake and BigWave. You've all added a bit to my understanding. If there has been no official Minelab upgrade process affecting the 4500 then the chances that since 2008 there has been some natural enhancement via better faster components does make some sense. Good to hear that a user who knows what he's doing can still get similar performance from a new or older model is also encouraging.

Thanks for your link and useful comparison Nenad. I'm still a bit bewildered by the amount of technical knowledge a good detectorist needs, but hope to spend enough time at in the next year or two to learn some of it. I'm not quite to used to seeing a machine that is computerised and technical that was first sold in 2008 or 2010 still being sold new 6 or 8 years later. This is encouraging in the fact that they obviously work or wouldn't still be around now if they didn't.

Latest posts