Trying to find good Toyota 4X4 around $8k suggestions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try a 90 series prado or even 120 series. The 90 series you would be able to pick up a good one for the 8k the 120 might cost slightly more and the clearance (standard suspension) is I think 45mm less. The 3.4l petrol engine will usually do 500,000km with no major work needing to be done. NSW or QLD are the best places to pick them up and it may even pay to go there from other states to get a better price or buy online. They are massive fuel users in the suburbs but on the open road they get heaps better economy. I presently get 250km on gas and 350km on petrol in the suburbs from (both) 68l tanks but I do know which pedal makes it go faster. On a country/highway trip I get 400km and 550km sitting at 110km/h. You may even get a lift for the 90 series within your budget. If you are seriously thinking prado it may pay to join pradopoint.com . Ken.

Wagon or tray, diesel or petrol and what use is ir going to get? Any reason you're after a cruiser or will other makes be a consideration?
Jon

ken2m said:
You could try a 90 series prado or even 120 series. The 90 series you would be able to pick up a good one for the 8k the 120 might cost slightly more and the clearance (standard suspension) is I think 45mm less. The 3.4l petrol engine will usually do 500,000km with no major work needing to be done. NSW or QLD are the best places to pick them up and it may even pay to go there from other states to get a better price or buy online. They are massive fuel users in the suburbs but on the open road they get heaps better economy. I presently get 250km on gas and 350km on petrol in the suburbs from (both) 68l tanks but I do know which pedal makes it go faster. On a country/highway trip I get 400km and 550km sitting at 110km/h. You may even get a lift for the 90 series within your budget. If you are seriously thinking prado it may pay to join pradopoint.com . Ken.

Very good advice.

Thanks I had not thought of a Prado.

Thanks

The prices do go up and even further when you mention diesel. 60 series landcruiser, 75 series landcruiser ute, gq patrol or landrover defender 130 dual cab ute. You might get an 80 series cruiser standard but I'd go the 60 as the diffs are much stronger in the front. The gq is an excellent vehicle and the 130 gives you the most flexibility, towing and carrying capacity.
Jon

Save yourself a bundle unless you need a tray and buy a Pajero .................. unless your going where only the mountain goats go will do all you ask at a fraction of the cost. Prado be it good or bad when something goes wrong get out your wallet. I was offered one for $1500 with a blown motor but otherwise super tidy.................. was keen as till I got a price on a motor rebuild. :eek:
Qld may have cheaper 4x4's but this is usually due to the fact they have been used more as a 4B rather than a Toorak Tractor and many have seen a lot of beach work that the southern state vehicles don't see.
Good luck on your quest and negotiating the used vehicle minefield :D

Gday HH,
Toyotas make some great 4x4s and theres so many things to think of when narrowing down the many decades of models to choose from.

Have a read through this post from a few weeks back, might help a bit.

Short list of toyotas under 8k would be:
*90s Hilux petrol or diesel - plenty around still with and without mods. Tough as old jerky.

*90s Hilux Surf/ 4 Runner - wagon body version of the hilux. Surfs were 90s grey imports while the 4 Runner was the oz model. Have IFS so less bouncy to drive but can still be lifted with care. The imported diesel in the surf can be trouble, go 4 Runner diesel or surf petrol.

*80-90s 70 series cruiser - short or long wheelbase, basically a wagon version of the 75 series ute.
Basic gear but excellent workhorses, keep.ontop of servicing and they basically go forever.

*80s 60 series cruiser - more comfy than the 70 series. Still some good ones around but theyre becoming sought after in 4x4 circles as collector trucks - building an Fj40 sort of following.
Check thoroughly for rust in wheel wells, roof gutters and under rear carpets.

*90s 80 series cruiser, legendary for being spacious and long lived. Avoid buying a petrol unless you want to convert to gas/ duel fuel or own an oil derrick. Diesels attract a higher asking price, always worth checking for a service history, mechnical history to see what sort of life its had. Lots out there already modded and ready to go.

*00- 04 Hilux, end of the 6th gen hiluxes. Face lifted from the mid 90s models. Better options and same 3.4 v6 or 2.7 diesel as the late 90s prados. Also tge start of IFS hilux models to make them more road friendly. 4x4 ones should be in the 8- 10k range depending on trim.

*90s 90/95 series Prado - more of a liveable 4x4, comfy enough on and off road, has IFS so can be lifted if you want. Narrower and lighter than a full blown cruiser so easier to park amd not so heavy on fuel unless you add lift and big muddies to it. Enough room for the family and some gear or fold the rear seat and basically everything from the front seats back is space.
Mostly petrols on the market, still some of the diesels out there and both are solid motors. Servicing is the most important thing with the diesels, the v6 is more forgiving for neglect. Main things to check are the cvs for noise, auto box for shunting/ jerking, air con as some models had split front/ rear systems that may not have been used for a while and play or noise from steering rack. Otherwise solid trucks, have just clocked 290k on mine and expect it to run until 500k without major work. 95 series came along in 99-00, with the same motors and a few face lift pieces/interior upgrades. Best bet for a low km ex mums taxi truck.

* 03 120 series prado, if your budget will stretch to 10-15k this the third generation prado. Comfier interior and 3 motor options, 2.7 4 cyl petrol, 4.0 v6 petrol and 3.0 vvt turbo diesel. Similar IFS as the last gen but slightly cushier for road use, again can be lifted with a little care. Check factory servicing history on diesels and v6 motors.

This should give you an evening of research online to narrow it to what will suit you.

Happy hunting,
TGW.

On ebay 15 days to go on a buy it now. worth a look.
Just thought i'd put it out there 1998 prado 90 series $3800 from a dealer in NSW also offers freight and warranty looks like it's been a mums taxi from the pics. Looks pretty standard and a few months rego.

1998 TOYOTA PRADO GXL DUAL FUEL 5 SP MANUAL 8 SEATER TOW BAR REGO TILL 07/03/17

It leaves you with a bit of money to do some mods like, tyres, lift, lights and bullbar. Ken.

I got a 1986 60 series.
Been a great car.
It's the petrol version but was cheap to buy, easy to maintain. parts are plentyfull etc.
Virtually bullet proof.
Rust in the roof gutters is a big problem.
20-25L/100kms is the downside but it's my work car & customers cop that bill :-D

The diesel 2h should give you about 12-13l/100km. I have a 12ht in a 60 series which gets around 11-12l/100km and an 80 series 1hdt which is getting around 21l/100km, there's something wrong with that it should be around 13l/100km.
Jon

I personally drive a 1997 Prado Vx v6,
when I bought it it got 18lt/100km off road, 16.5lt/100kms city (stop start driving ) and 14-15lt/100kms on the hwy on road tyres and stock shocks.

Since it suspension lift and mud tyres its about 21lt/100kms off road, 17-18 in the city and 16lts on the hwy.
Adding weight, height and rolling resistance (ie big heavy tyres) really impacts the economy of any 4x4.

Dont forget the heavier your truck is to begin with and the more toys you bolt on plus camping/prospecting/fishing gear and water etc in the back the heavier its curb weight gets and the worse the fuel economy gets...
Start with a 2t cruiser, add winch and bar, lights, mud tyres, roof cage, hi lift, shovel, extra spare etc
Before you know it its a 3t + truck with the same motor as before to get it moving...

Also depends how you use the pedal on the right :p

TGW

Mitsubishi pajero are much nicer to drive great of road and that money will get a nice one .

Nothing wrong with pajeros but it sound like he wants a ute/tray. I just use a trailer with my 80 as it's usually full of kids and their crap.
Jon

what about a nissan Navarra or a Mitsubishi triton, granted not as good as a Toyota, might be able to buy with a lot less klm for the same money, tritons were selling for 31k drive away 4 years ago.

I've actually been hunting around the same price range $8000-$10,000, considering a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (diesel) because it has all the mod cons, looks great and the back seats fold down perfectly level so i can sleep in the back on solo expeditions. Have any members ever had one of them and have anything good/bad to say?

My 2ic had a 2009 cost around 15k over the two years he had it it cost him upwards of 20k for repairs motel costs (broke down away from home 4 times) hire car, tow truck then truck transport back here then months fighting with the car yard to come to the party with the repair costs (only paid part in the end) and he had extended warranty
He now has a ford ranger never had a problem (well one big problem his wife wants to drive all the time lol)
BUT he could have got a one off or a monday car/lemon as that does happen in
car yards these days you get what you pay for CHECK warranty and all the fine print plus independent road /safety check (nrma,racv,etc etc)
private sales well good luck with that (you get what you see) get it checked over (nrma,racv etc etc) before you open your wallet if they say you cant get it checked then there is something wrong with it so walk away

Latest posts