VLF vs PI Detectors , who has right of way when beach detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everyone has a right to beach detect , but is there a line crossed when PI machines interfere with the operation of multi frequency vlf detectors to the extent that it becomes impossible to metal detect. I believe that is the case. A couple of guys flew in from SA with sdc2300 today and upset a few detectorists with vlfs . What are everyone's thoughts?

Bit like bullying if they know that's what their machines are doing to the competition.
You would need a judicial consensus obtained by the fathoming of popular thought posted right here on this thread I recon, that way it is at least a judgment by peers and hopefully a full on mental toolkit development for etiquette in handling a situation like this with the best outcome for all in the most unobtrusively subtle way possible.
After all we don't want the General Public to be witness to unfettered fisticuffs and copious ammounts of blood flowing through the sand over the odd diamond encrusted gold trinkets sparkling like galaxies bathing in golden light ,... a well aimed emp from a Tesla coil or some such thing would be much much more covert ,.... probly best to stick to the finding of diplomatic solutions through popular consensus though ! ;)

yeah everything you just said and more :). I was on the beach not long when my machine started to false. I just said "gday are you fellas using pulse induction machines , I thought my machine was falsing" anyways after a quick nice chat they left and so did I . Probably saved a heated discussion with a few of the vlfs . But the line was crossed , think they were testing to see if anything was going to be said :)

They've got the same right to be there as anyone else!
I would have thought PI machines would get just as much if not more negative interference from the VLF's! Are you sure you weren't just getting EMI from the November storms around at the moment?
If everyone maintains a reasonable distance between detectors then there should be no issues. I don't see how a line is crossed here? There is no rules on what machine can or can't be used & PI's can have a place on the beach too!
Sounds like a lot of bull dung flying here.
P.s. neither has any right of way!

Its whoever got there first . No matter what type of tector u run if someone on the bea h befor u keep a respectable distznce from them so u dont only not stuff up their day but make yours a hassle free one .If its a small beach and u second there move to another . Also a lot of beginers wouuld not know they are causing a problem with u machine so maybe go over and explain it to them ,

I'm with Mbasko on this one, I'll sometimes use one of my PI's at the beach, though much prefer using the CTX. I've been getting a few chirps and falsies from my CTX during the past few days from EMI building up, nothing too annoying though.

If someone with a VLF got upset with me using a PI on the beach I'd politely tell them to sod off. :D

Fair enough fellow detector members , but there must be respect , and a respectable distance between detectors if you have a PI that interrupts the working of other machines , or vlfs doing the same etc , I think it's important to be mindful , especially with schoolies season just around the corner . mbasko the emi was from the sdc2300s , no storms last night. Can't wait to take my GPX 5000 with a giant coil and get there first . Anyway I said hello and I was leaving anyway . I'm wrong on this one , just wanted everyone's opinion , I'm a youngun or newbie still, so don't get angry people's , it's good to know your thoughts so ....... Peace 8.( :) :D

Mate EMI can come from hundreds of kilometres away & there seems to be storms or storms brewing in most eastern state areas last night + today. Storms don't have to be immediately apparent to cause EMI issues.
I seriously doubt it was from the SDC's if you were keeping 15-20m apart which is just good etiquette anyway.
Your GPX5000 with large coil will be far more susceptible to EMI & other machine interference than your VLF :D

At least you have a benchmark for judgement Dan, next time you will be able to take the broader weather happenings into consideration if there is falsing or not, be a good upskill for you once you get variable on the ground and in the field feedback ! ;)

Danny13 said:
Lol mbasko, probably the emi came from South Australia 3900km away

You don't need a storm for EMI, even just one building up can create plenty of EMI. Yes the spikes from lightning can come from a very very long distance away, a lot further than you would expect. As said most likely a VLF would interfere with a much more sensitive VLF.

The point I was making mbasko as above in a nice way , there was a lack of respect, I know when a PI machine comes within 20 meters ...., Anyways peace mbasko :)

Danny I just did a test and was exactly as Mbasko stated. I turned on my SDC inside my house, then turned on my CTX and walked toward the SDC, the SDC got the wobbles when I was around 1.5 metres away, the CTX did not false once. ;)

There was no lack of respect at all Danny, Matt is very knowledgable on detecting, he has been doing it a long time with numerous detectors.

Latest posts