Squirrels 505 Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday evenings finds. Windy as all get out,and helping a 4x4 bogged cost me 1.5hrs. 24 all up with a 1951 sixpence, and a 1943 roo.
1479136482_dsc00832.jpg

1479136561_dsc00835.jpg

1479136586_dsc00836.jpg

Monday evening 23 all up, a 1916 shilling, 1942 sixpence and a 1960 threepence all out of the same hole (where was the florin?), they were actually masked by a bullet, the 3p was with the bullet at about 7 inches and the other 2 were 10-11 inches down. also got a 1950 sixpence and a 1953 half penny. Can't make out the silver ring thingy but i thought my luck was in when it surfaced. kept playing with the settings today and ran as hot as i could in all metal, everything was at extreme depth and most were giving iron signals to start with until i scraped a bit of sand away. getting a lot of them hot rocks running so high, but i think it is the only way i'm going to find more good targets. gotta work real hard and smart now, all the easy ones are gone.
1479137332_dsc00830.jpg

1479139573_dsc00838.jpg

1479139603_dsc00839.jpg

1479139643_dsc00840.jpg

1479139704_dsc00841.jpg

1479139738_dsc00842.jpg

1479139808_dsc00843.jpg

1479139881_dsc00837.jpg

Hey SS
coins of serious value shouldn't be cleaned so check what you clean before attempting
The last one was a dirt coin and had no corrosion so came up easy
First way is soak in hot water with a sprinkle of citric acid, the citric should slowly melt the crud off, occasionally remove sprinkle bi-carb soda and finger rub or tooth brush, wash bi-carb before back in the citric bath as it neutralizes
Now if the coin is grey oxidized it will have corrosion under neath so its up to you to go to the next step
Grey silver and dirty rings soak in citric bath, remove and wrap tightly in alfoil and squeeze it will make heat and a rotten egg gas smell leave in foil for a minute then remove and finger rub with bi-carb
1479180272_moon_004.jpg

1479180272_moon_005.jpg

Here's the dirt one from yesterday compared to a foil treated grey sea urchin :lol:
The 1950 looks like it will be corrosion free at least the face side shown
WARNING do not add copper coins, silver only

Thanks B5, i will give it a go, so how do i know if it's valuable without cleaning to see what it is? a lot of the coins from the beach are covered in green shite that you just can't see through. Also how do you clean your pre dec coppers?.

I use a RENNIK'S Australian Coin & banknote values book there's also token books or
http://www.allcoinvalues.com/austra...australian-shilling-value.html#AdsenseHAdBox2
The problem is ground dug coins arn't really classified as a collectors coin so unless its a really special coin 1930 penny sort of thing collectors won't take them, really good condition coins should be still cleaned carefully as dirt and corrosion are not patina, so ground coins are do you clean it or do I not, A lot of people will say that cleaning a coin devaluates it but they are not referring to ground dug coins :rolleyes: :lol:
Coppers if they don't clean easily are pretty much toast, Really bad ones try hot olive oil and a small fine brass wire brush
http://www.allcoinvalues.com/australian-coins-and-notes/australian-predecimal-coin-values.html
My coins all come out dirty and have to be cleaned so that's me justifying it to myself :lol: :lol:
Having some site issues today, something's iffy :lol:

Just have to resort to the fact that no older coins from the beach are going to be worth much, other than for silver value, or if a half/full sovereign (wishful thinking). :D Still good fun to pluck coins from the beaches, and hopefully with a few gold and silver rings somewhere along the line as well. ;)

Goldpick said:
Just have to resort to the fact that no older coins from the beach are going to be worth much, other than for silver value, or if a half/full sovereign (wishful thinking). :D Still good fun to pluck coins from the beaches, and hopefully with a few gold and silver rings somewhere along the line as well. ;)
That's absolutely right Goldpick, but collecting the beach coins is way better than not swinging at all :D i was always a stamp collector but now i see the beauty in the old coins, i get great enjoyment with the challenge of the hunt and a sense of satisfaction saving the coins from a horrible death :p so the least i can do is bring them up clean for my own collection.

so 4 hrs this evening netted 31 coins with 1 florin and 1 penny and my first $2, bringing the total for this beach to 203 for 6 hunts. You can see by the photo i'm sniffing out the lesser signals and picking up a lot of small lead and hotrocks. The coins i've got in the last three outings are all exposed after clearing the junk that was masking them and today's were at extreme depths (1 and a half pro pointers deep) can't wait for some more rough weather.
1479215018_dsc00857.jpg

1479215127_dsc00860.jpg

Latest posts