Squirrels 505 Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise that the majority of lost rings would have come off in the water, but does that mean that is where they will stay or will they be sorted like the coins and be deposited further up the beach?

Secret Squirrels said:
I realise that the majority of lost rings would have come off in the water, but does that mean that is where they will stay or will they be sorted like the coins and be deposited further up the beach?

I believe that coins, rings and other treasures get moved around a lot. I have a pic of one of our local beaches that was stripped bare of all sand in a huge storm in 1974. There was absolutely nothing left but bedrock. That beach is now one of the best to produce pre decimal coins. Obviously there were no coins remaining after that storm but the ocean has built up the sand and the treasures over the following years.

It looks like the black line might have been the low tide line during the storm and the coins got pushed up into the edge
I still haven't found a beach ring yet but would expect them to be lower on the beach, heavy gold ones would resist washing in easily but coins float and slide with heavy wave action
Last big storm here they were all lined up between the shell lines, the coin line along the beach was about 2 meters wide and the rest of the beach was blank until it got to the wash away area where there were more falling out of and washing upto the bank edges and sticking

Thanks for your responses RJ & B5, it will help me in planning my next line of attack. Obviously i will hit the yellow circle to retrieve the targets i know are there (although i'm hedging they are moderns and majority copper), then i will continue up the back to the far right, hopefully i will find 1 or 2 more honey holes in that stretch. I'm tempted to try the shallows as the coil is supposedly waterproof, do any of you have experience in submersing your coils?

Yeah my ATGold can be submerged but can't handle salt wet sand, just waiting for my new detector that can...
I believe the 705 can but not sure on minelab gear, maybe not the 505 form what you said about the rock area sounding feriousy maybe it can't handle the salt
My ATGold sounds like that near the rockends and wet areas too
unless you can ground balance the salt out and then in the water rebalance again

Went back and followed on from the unearthed signals and as i suspected they were all moderns, those BCCs go down deep espescially the 1c. Got sick of digging them with limited time so wound the sesitivity back a couple of notches to avoid them, that did the trick as a little futher on i got a couple of silvers and 3 pennies. The pennies give off a definite and repetitive signal but the sixpence was really iffy and scratchy, i almost didn't dig it. After this even if i got an iffy scratchy signal like a discriminated target breaking the surface i would just scrape the surface and swing over it again, this is how i picked up the threepence, before scratching the ground it was giving off a ferrous target blanking sound. I found this to be the case with all of the 5c as well. The last 50 metre stretch up the back is all seaweed , sticks, iron and rubbish. 45 this outing but everything is a lot more encrusted and pitted that end of the beach. Hopefully the rain stays away for the weekend and i'll attack again.

1478785038_dsc00819.jpg

1478785065_dsc00818.jpg
1478785124_dsc00812.jpg

1478785206_dsc00810.jpg

Good haul of coins, you are not wrong about the corrosion on those silvers, that threepence has seen better days. I generally dig any deep repeatable targets, including the ones that give off a scratchy but repeatable "iron" type grunt. I've had deep $1 & $2 coins and some predecimals that registered such tones on the edge of detection limit, or possibly from sitting on edge. Might something to look at when you have a bit more time available. :)

Yeah i will do that Goldpick, i've been dissecting some of your posts to garnish info that's relevant to my situation. so keep the great posts happening mate, one can never get too much information. Your darn right there Silver, i'll take them over BCCs any day. There's a certain sense of achievement that comes with finding those little silvers, they can be tricky little beggars. thanks for the compliment re the skill mate, every time i go out i get that little bit better, fortunately i'm the type of person who wants to know how, why and when and i'm certain that these attributes along with perseverance help find targets no matter the type of hunt. Cheers SS.

AtomRat said:
Gee..those coppers are clean!
Thats me atom they were fully encrusted like some in the pics, everything has had a soak in a mixture of water, windex and detergent, The pre decs have also had a blunt toothpick and toothbrush applied.
edit to add this-: if you look at the 2c in the top pic you can see the mixture lifts the encrustment off cleanly in quite a few instances, especially with the coppers, i have put them all back in the solution to continue soaking.

Plenty of coins coming out, did you try and ground balance in the wet sand for any luck?
Was thinking if there were any concentration spots of pre decs there may be deeper ones under them, it maybe worth raking a foot of sand off in areas for a deeper look
In case they kept pileing up in one area

yeah mate, every time i go there i have a go but the bloody thing won't GB past the black line. I've given it a swing thinking that i can ignore all the false signals and only pick on a definite signal, but everything sounds low like iron. Oh well someone may come across this post that has experience with a 505 and give me a heads up. The dealer at ML said i would have no probs detecting the waters edge, but i can't even get within 20 mtrs of it, and because of his advice i went for the 505 instead of the 705. As according to him the only real advantage was the 705s ability to swing for gold, and i already have detectors much more capable of that. Once i've cherry picked the easy targets and check a beach nearby i'll move a bit of sand B5.

Sounds like the ATGold moist sand is ok even rain wet is fine but when its WET sand it just falses, it's a no go area
I thought the 705 had a beach or salt balance function so I would think the 505 would, does it mention anything in the instructions?

Nah the 505 doesn't have a beach mode, i've just finished talking to Ian from miners den, he's got a lad that comes in regular who uses the 505 in the water quite successfully, so he's going to grill him for me. During our convo we came up with the idea of trying it in the water as opposed to the wet sand as the water should be consistent like the dry sand and that may make a difference, worth a try imo.

Edit to say Cheers Ramjet. :p

Wishfull said:
It should be good weather ths weekend SS I'm down at Ardrossan most of this weekend so I'm going to give the beaches over there a going over.
Gale force winds tomorrow with possible showers, i cant swing in the rain so we will have to see what sunday brings, we should hit a local beach together wishfull.

Latest posts