Squirrels 505 Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So iv'e had the 505 for a couple of weeks now and had it out about 4 times. Each time out i seem to get a bit more intimate with the settings and how to read the signals and chatter. Started off with pull tabs, bottle caps a few decimals and the odd rock, progressed to lots of sinkers, lead bullets, the odd decimal and a 9ct ring with a little ruby. Last outing was all last week, had to go to the bottom end of the peninsula for work and after talking to a few locals took the 505 for a swing a few nights after work on a small beach that was popular in the old days. To say i'm excited is an understatement, this week has produced a lot of firsts for me that would usually take a long time to occur for others. As mentioned in another thread i found my first gold ring, i also pulled in my first decent hall of coins (40), i found my first pre decimals (7 coppers, 7 silvers), my first florin (3 different), my first threepence (2) one with my birth date, My first sixpence, and either another type of threepence or my first maundy, plus my first penny and halfpenny. Oh and my first pre 1900 coin.
1478398931_dsc00745.jpg

1478398959_dsc00746.jpg

1478399989_dsc00747.jpg

1478399123_dsc00748.jpg
1478399215_dsc00749.jpg

1478399264_dsc00750.jpg

1478399344_dsc00751.jpg

1478399440_dsc00752.jpg

1478399472_dsc00753.jpg

1478399530_dsc00754.jpg

1478399557_dsc00758.jpg

1478399582_dsc00760.jpg

1478399639_dsc00761.jpg

1478399667_dsc00762.jpg

1478399700_dsc00763.jpg

Nice going mate, doing really well and progressing very nicely. The more finds you get the craftier you'll get at finding the good spots to hunt. That 1918 florrie could be a coin of the month for November comp. ;)

Well done.

Thanks guy's, sorry for the individual pics but i'm just a little bit over excited at the minute, i've had some good gold finds over the years and finding these coins is every bit as exciting. I think it's as much about mastering the detector as well as nutting out the sites that gets the adrenalin pumping. i promise i will settle down ;)

Great beach to detect with those sorts of targets lying in wait, could keep you entertained for a while yet. That 1918 florin should come up well, congratulations. :)

So i'm obviously a glutton for punishment, headed off to the bottom end this arvo for a hunt on the same beach, just got back and freshly showered sitting here with a cuppa to give a report. With three hours of travel time i got in about 4 hrs of swinging, Thought i'd start at the first honey hole where most of the pre decimals were found, first 2 signals in 2 minutes for a 50c and a 1952 penny followed by a 5c, 1c and a couple of 2s. The next hour was bullet after bullet after bullet, all loaded, green and very unstable, when i thought i'd pushed my luck far enough i left them and went back to the car for a drink and a nut it out session. I had already previously tried further along the beach during the week with no success, so my plan of attack was to play with the settings and see if i could get a bit more depth out of it and re attack the honey hole. I changed the frequency up 1 channel, dropped the ground balance to 4 and set the sensitivity on max and proceeded to grid the sweet spot. This tactic produced a 1949 sixpence, a 1922 (and my first) shilling, and a 1902 penny, followed by lots of 1 & 2 cent pieces, all coins were found noticeably deeper @ 10 to 12 inches. Previously all coins were found 4 to 8 inches deep. After this i went on to the stretch where previously i found zilch and managed a few 5c, 2c, and 1c pieces at depth. Further up the beach i struck another honey hole, except this time it was producing 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 cent pieces all within a 5 radius in the end it got dark and the mozzies savaged me, so i left with signals still singing in the ground until next trip. All up i got 39 coins and 1 really corroded sunbaker to make the tally 40 (my favourite number). I stopped writing this half way through to clean the coins for identification, i will post a pic tomorrow along with a diagram of the beach formation and a pattern that is emerging and maybe some of you pro's can point me in the right direction. cheers SS.

Going great guns SS, lots of silvers always makes you feel good, congrats on all the firsts happening there for you ,... old florries are a really nice feeling when you find them hey ! :p
8) :cool: 's X 9 for ya ! :D

That last 52 penny for some reason looks like silver? 8) 8) 8) :eek:
That is a top area to keep hitting after every storm erosion ;)

B5MECH said:
That last 52 penny for some reason looks like silver? 8) 8) 8) :eek:
That is a top area to keep hitting after every storm erosion ;)
It's because i'm using no flash in low light setting on the camera to get the clearest detail.
1478577942_kangaroo_penny_1952_a._2.jpg

just for you B5 :8
Now here's an image of the beach, any suggestions will be appreciated.
1478584318_bottom_end_beach_2.jpg

:lol: :lol: Ahh
In the rocks area upper on the left and at low tide lower in front of the rocks in the sand heavies should get stuck,
the camp fires even though you'll find foot deep cans people lose jewellery
Whats unearthed keeper signals? not cannonballs? :lol: :lol:
Any where banks have broken away :)

Looks like your the first to hit that beach, wonder what the low tide line gives
Maybe some gold rings ;)

The rocks area is full of ferrous targets and the rocks are all covered by sand and awkward digging, between the red and the black line is now all seaweed and full of ferrous targets. From the black line to the water is the tide lines and wet sand, i haven't worked out how to quieten the 505 to detect this area effectively so while i'm getting easy targets up higher i am ignoring the wet area. I'm wondering why the bullets and pre decs are in one area and the moderns in another?. Is this because (A) The older generation congregated at one end and the younger generation at the other end, or (B) there is a weight difference between the targets and the wave action is distributing them this way. I'm leaning towards (B) and if that's the case then it means all targets were distributed sporadically across the beach originally and the wave action is sorting them so where will the rings be?