Did a quartz crystal fall out..............?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
.........or is there such a thing as a "reverse crystal impression", formed without a crystal ever having been there?

A piece of chalcedony from Riverslea crossing.

27897597081_fc7cd83248_c.jpg

I have seen a few rocks and minerals that seemed to show the crystal shape of what they had been growing up against. A good friend of ours found a huge zircon in the New England area with multiple imprints of tiny crystals all over it.

I would think the chalcedony would have formed around the quartz crystal in a totally different period of growth. I believe the size of the quartz crystal would indicate very slow cooling with room to grow the crystal, whereas the chalcedony represents faster cooling with no space to crystallize?

Looks like it was resting against some other objects for quite a long time, it either dissolved over time, broken apart or was separated when dug out of the ground by the looks of it.

It was lying on the gravel banks of a river so it had been tumbled along by the force of floodwaters, probably got knocked out then.

Latest posts